Great, my eyefinity setup gets me nauseous

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I got a FOV fixer for Farcry 2 & Ill give that a try. I also have a Dell 3008 on the way & Ill try a single large monitor setup as well.

I ran 3 1920x1080 screens in eyefinity-mode, but for everyday testing I use a 30" samsung. It's hard choosing between the two setups. One gives more immersion, but sometimes at the cost of 'focus', while the 30" just offers so much real-estate and a high res.

Lucky you that you've got money to burn, how about 3 30"'s in an eyefinity setup ;) Heck, why not 3 1080p projectors in eyefinity mode!

terentenet

Nov 8, 2005
Play FC2 on a 30" and nvidia's 3D Vision, even the cheap Discovery one. 100&#37; immersion, no nausea, the image has depth, looks fantastic and the game just sucks you in.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Play FC2 on a 30" and nvidia's 3D Vision, even the cheap Discovery one. 100&#37; immersion, no nausea, the image has depth, looks fantastic and the game just sucks you in.

Ya, to bad that at 2560x1600 your fps will suck with 3d vision and you'll most likely get a headache. Even a GTX 295 at 2560x1600, ultra settings, 4xAA gets 50ish minima, 60fps on average. 3DVision will chop those in half. Have fun tuning down the settings to no AA and medium on DX9, and you might just get playable framerates with 3d vision.

Oh and cough up $300 for glasses or so?

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Play FC2 on a 30" and nvidia's 3D Vision, even the cheap Discovery one. 100% immersion, no nausea, the image has depth, looks fantastic and the game just sucks you in.

Is there even a 30" 120hz capable monitor? as far as i know there are 22".

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I was hoping the game that made you sick was Hello Kirry: Island Adventures or something so I could say "I don't think its the fault of the eyefinity"

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I have discovered an unfortunate side effect of having an eyefinity setup: I get motion sickeness playing some games. It gets so bad sometimes, I actually am thinking about going back to a single monitor. This sucks.

cuz ur eyes need to get used to it.

its like when i first let my friends play counter strike for the first time.
A good third of them felt sick after there first time.

Give your eyes about 2 weeks, you'll get used to it.
However in 2 weeks, you will also not be able to live without it.

OMG u almost made me spit my coffee at the monitor with this one..

:D

Last edited:

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000

Ive had my eyefinity set since early December so Id think Id be used to it by now.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003

Not everyone is going to get used to a miss-matched or incorrect FOV. There's just no way around it.

tboo have you actually changed your FOV yet in the games that are making you sick? You say you are using a widescreen fix, but that doesn't necessarily the FOV is still correct (for you).

Bioshock had a widescreen fix in the patch 1.1 for it. It still had an incorrect FOV (was around 75) even with the patch. Most widescreen resolutions really need a horizontal FOV around 85-90.

I'm not quite sure how FOV translates into eyefinity though. If you choose an FOV of 90 in a game, do you get 90 degrees on each monitor for a total of 270 degrees?

Last edited:

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Not everyone is going to get used to a miss-matched or incorrect FOV. There's just no way around it.

tboo have you actually changed your FOV yet in the games that are making you sick? You say you are using a widescreen fix, but that doesn't necessarily the FOV is still correct (for you).

Bioshock had a widescreen fix in the patch 1.1 for it. It still had an incorrect FOV (was around 75) even with the patch. Most widescreen resolutions really need a horizontal FOV around 85-90.

I'm not quite sure how FOV translates into eyefinity though. If you choose an FOV of 90 in a game, do you get 90 degrees on each monitor for a total of 270 degrees?

I'm a SoftTH user, but IIRC Eyefinity doesn't do anything special yet in this regard so this should still apply:

Generally, if the game doesn't fully support arbitrary aspect ratios, you'll get the same FOV that you would on a single screen. Hopefully, games that fall in that category will have an ini setting that you can tweak to fix.