Question Graphics support in Hyper-V Guest

LeoL

Nov 4, 2022
I'm building a new PC using AM4 and I can't work out the best graphics card to use. On my current PC whenever I run a Hyper-V guest I get a message saying that it has no graphics support and that graphics is being emulated... or something like that.

My question is how to avoid that on the new PC?

I tried getting answers from AMD and Nvidia but got no sensible answers. AMD said I needed one of their Pro graphics cards but could not/would not point me in the direction of any documentation telling me how this worked. Nvidia also said I needed their pro line but again provided no documentation on it or how to configure it. I got the impression that the people answering hadn't got a clue what is available or how it works. I'm not sure they even understood the question.

I'm not a gamer so I'm not looking for anything to play games. But I'd like to make use of more Hyper-V guests on the new machine. This is mainly for testing and experimenting with new software.

From what I have seen on the internet it is possible to use passthrough to a second graphics card but that would only support one guest. If a card can support multiple monitors surely there is a way of using that power to drive multiple guests instead?

Anyone got any advice?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The virtual world is odd in how it handles graphics. I think the issue is that the guests don't know how to mux the output or the OS doesn't have the capability either.

When playing around with this in the past I recall adding GPU functionality per guest w/ limited resources being made available to the vhd. With GPU's though these days I suspect using a high end card would get you multiple outputs being available vs the old days when a GPU had 1GB of ram to share.

I know why you want to use AMD and not Intel but, the Intel CPU has a bult in GPU and thus no issue with providing a card. I would just find something relatively recent and low priced to put into the machine and give it a shot. With prices coming down on 3xxx series and AMD putting out new XT/X cards there should be something that fits your budget. Even the new XT/X cards coming soon are 50% less in cost than the RTX 4xx series.

Jul 27, 2020
Found a few links you might find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLcc29EZ_8

The reddit one should work for you. Note that they recommend an AMD GPU because Nvidia likes to prevent users from enjoying their consumer GPU in Hyper-V.

By the way, thanks for posting this question. Should be fun for me to test out a GPU in Hyper-V.

Reactions: juriom