Graphics Card Problems?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
I know you've probably already checked this, but the only time I've seen all of the symptoms that you?re describing is when there is a loose or intermittent connection between the video card and the monitor.

When you tried the different monitor was it using a different cable?

Is there a DVI to VGA adaptor connected to the video card? If so have you tried using a different one?

To me, a bad PCI-E connector on your motherboard would show garbage on your screen if anything.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.

Stylewar

Nov 1, 2000
It is a problem with the Warhammer client.

It is a known problem, and there is a 22 page thread on the Warhammer Alliance boards. I too can play CoD4 maxed, CS:S, Crysis, Bioshock and a few others without incident. The minute I play Warhammer Online, it crashes me to power saving mode. To fix the problem, and it really isn't a fix, but a bandaid, I underclocked my 9600GT using Rivatuner. Now I can play warhammer for hours without incident. Crappy fix, but hey, for now it works until they can find a true fix.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Pederv
I know you've probably already checked this, but the only time I've seen all of the symptoms that you?re describing is when there is a loose or intermittent connection between the video card and the monitor.

When you tried the different monitor was it using a different cable?

Is there a DVI to VGA adaptor connected to the video card? If so have you tried using a different one?

To me, a bad PCI-E connector on your motherboard would show garbage on your screen if anything.

Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.

With the different monitor a different cable was used.

Yes there are adapters on the card and I tried switching them around to test the others and same problem

Thank you for all your help :)

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Originally posted by: AmberClad
It sounded like it was also happening during DoD:S, not just WAR.

It was happening with DoD:S although when I was doing the test with my card when I re-installed the drivers I didn't crash I'll have to try playing it for longer and try not to rage quit :p

If it doesn't go into power saver I'll try doing what stylewar did :)

Thanks for all of you help

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
After Stylewar brought that this is a known issue of Warhammer, I Googled "Warhammer monitor power save" and there were other suggestions given. One of those suggestions actually is reported to improve the video response of the game.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I am surprised no one has mentioned a fresh load of Windows.

From what I can see so far, I suspect a possible hardware issue, but it could very well be an OS problem. A little more work, but reloading windows won't cost anything, and that would remove one of the possibilities. If your windows is borked, it can have you chasing imaginary hardware problems all day long.

You need to be sure, is it software or hardware?

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
UPDATE!

After being away from surgery or whatever, this morning I was on the computer playing Second Life and the screens went out for the first time ever for Second Life :( I think I am at a definite loss of what it could be