Graphics Card Problems?

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Okay so my computer has been running fine for three years then 2 nights ago, I'm playing Warhammer and at a heavy action area all of a sudden my monitor went into Power saving mode. But it came back and the game was all distorted and frozen, so I was able to quit the game and just shut off my computer thinking my graphics card was overheating.

The next morning I turn my computer on, load up Warhammer, and my character is doing nothing just standing there and my monitor goes into power saver mode, but this time it didn't come back. So I had to restart my computer. Upon turning my computer on, the first thing I see is that the letters are white and purple when they should just be white. Then The Windows loading screen, then monitor went into power saver mode so I couldn't log in. I called my dad, he said I probably killed my graphics card, so since the card I has was the 7300GT, 3 years old, so I got a 9600GT. I put that into my computer and the computer turned on and working great. Or so I thought. I ran Second Life okay of course, then I tried running Day of Defeat Source and after running around for a bit the game the monitors went into power saver mode. I was ready to cry. So I tried Warhammer again and same problem. The monitors go into power saver mode and don't come back, but at least the computer reboots and I can see everything fine.

I used to have a 420W power supply and somebody had suggested I need a stronger power supply. So I was give a 650W power supply and the problem persists.

My computer is connected to an APC Back-UPS RS 1500. When I was running a lot of videos at the same time my computer shut itself off thinking that I was on the battery. The UPS made a loud beep and I couldn't tell whether the Overload light went on or not. All I know is that when my computer got enough power for me to log back in, everything was locked up and I couldn't do anything.

Here are my computer specs:

Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory:
2048MB RAM

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

My power supply:
Antec ATX12V v2.2 650W

My Motherboard is the ECS C19-A SLI just in case.

I have seriously run out of guesses on what the problem could be with my computer. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Can it be the graphics card? Can it be my mother board? Can it be that my computer is not getting enough power from the outlets? I don't know. I want my computer back so I can play my games and not want to throw the computer out the window.

Thanks in Advance. I'm around often and will be checking back to answer any questions you may have.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
If I had to bet money on any one part being the culprit, I'd probably bet it on the ECS motherboard.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
I was told that may be the problem, although I want to be almost certain, cause a new motherboard isn't really something that cheap...

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Yeah, I definitely understand. If you can make the system stay running long enough (or if you have another system available), you might try running Memtest on the RAM, just to rule that out as the cause. But the display colors being messed up makes me wonder if the PCIe slot on the motherboard died.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
The thing is, with the new graphics card I haven't seen any color distortions or anything. I am currently using the computer right now, I can run things fine generally so I'll run that memtest

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Did you wipe your old drivers before installing the new card? Are you running the latest drivers for it?

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Denithor
Did you wipe your old drivers before installing the new card? Are you running the latest drivers for it?

I'm pretty sure I did. I do have the latest drivers. Do you think I should try uninstalling drivers and re-installing?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Wow, sorry to hear about your ongoing problem. It looks like you have replaced two of the possible culprits which makes our task a bit easier.

You mentioned that you are using an APC backup. How about you remove that out of the equation and just plug directly into the wall. See if you get the power saving mode then.

As AmberClad mentioned, it may now be the motherboard. Decent motherboards can be had for relatively cheap (depending on what you call cheap). What speed is that RAM you have? Personally, I think you are a person who would like stability moreso than extreme performance if you had to choose. That being the case, Intel build quality motherboards for decent prices. There are two I would recommend, but it depends on what RAM you are using. Here is one if you have DDR2-667 RAM (Intel BOXD945GCNL) or if you have faster DDR2-800 RAM or better (Intel BOXDG31PR). I know you probably are tired of switching parts and pulling your hair out on what it could be. Running Memtest isn't a bad idea, just that I don't think that is your problem. Rule out what you can I guess.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Did the MemTest, everything is okay. I have DDR2-667. I was told to try uninstalling all the drivers and reinstalling directx and the drivers and such. So later on I will try that and report that.

I'll also try just plugging it into a surge protector and removing the things that I have plugged in that don't matter.

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
Something else you could try, and it doesn't cost any money.
When your in one of the games that gives you problems, write down the key strokes that you need to do in order to quit the game and shut down windows.
Then when the problem happens, do the key strokes and see if your system shuts down.
If the system shuts down it will show you that it's something in the video processing path and that the other parts in your system are working ok.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
When I'm playing games the screens just shuts off, the computer doesn't shut off. And I just used the WASD and my mouse in these games.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
So I uninstalled the drivers, and all of a sudden I lost internet. My computer didn't even say that a network cable was unplugged. It completely removed my LAN connection from the list. And it will not detect it even when I restart. So my very good friend is now certain that the problems I am having are a result of a failed motherboard

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
Nvidia graphics card on a motherboard based on an Nvidia chipset.
It's possible that you uninstalled all of your Nvidia drivers including the network drivers.
Reinstalling the Nforce4 drivers may bring your network back online.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
It didn't happen last time. That's why I'm confuzzled. I'd have to do it remotely then. I'll do it tomorrow cause I'm getting frustrated tonight haha

Pederv

Golden Member
May 13, 2000
It looks like your motherboard is based on the Nforce4 SLI XE.

These should be the drivers for your motherboard.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Pederv
Nvidia graphics card on a motherboard based on an Nvidia chipset.
It's possible that you uninstalled all of your Nvidia drivers including the network drivers.
Reinstalling the Nforce4 drivers may bring your network back online.

Originally posted by: Pederv
It looks like your motherboard is based on the Nforce4 SLI XE.

These should be the drivers for your motherboard.

Good catch! :thumbsup:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: OhSnap688
I'll also try just plugging it into a surge protector and removing the things that I have plugged in that don't matter.

That's what I would suggest doing first. It sounds to me as if your UPS is malfunctioning.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
So I plugged into the surge protector, and I reinstalled the drivers. It played DoD:S for about like 20-30 minutes no problem, but then I played Warhammer and I was able to play for like 10-15 minutes and then it did it again :\

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Your monitor blinking back and forth? hmmm.. Probably the monitor or the graphics card.

Considering you changed your vid card probably your monitor. Swap your monitor with your dad's and try. If that doesn't work I would system restore to a previous state before all this happened.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: OhSnap688
So I uninstalled the drivers, and all of a sudden I lost internet. My computer didn't even say that a network cable was unplugged. It completely removed my LAN connection from the list. And it will not detect it even when I restart. So my very good friend is now certain that the problems I am having are a result of a failed motherboard

It looks to me like it's a software issue. You might want to reformat.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe it's just because I'm overtired, but the first thing it sounded like to me was your monitor is about to die, nothing at all to do with anything else in your system. Messed up colors on the BIOS screen almost always indicates a bad monitor, very rarely a vid card.

Fattysharp

Nov 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BenSkywalker
Maybe it's just because I'm overtired, but the first thing it sounded like to me was your monitor is about to die, nothing at all to do with anything else in your system. Messed up colors on the BIOS screen almost always indicates a bad monitor, very rarely a vid card.

I agree, messed up colours in bios would usually mean monitor, or monitor cable.

I do not see anywhere that you checked heat. I would check for any over heating parts when you game. There are some free diagnostic programs out there to check temps. If i missed you saying you have done that, then monitor sounds like the culprit.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
I have tried switching monitors. I went to my old CRT monitor and the problem was identical with the graphics and such.