Graphene utilized, faster CPU's a reality lot sooner..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonoran

May 9, 2002
Scientific progress is great, so kudos to them on their advancement. As for making tomorrow's super chip from it - please do let me know when they can FAB a chip with 1,000,000,000 transistors using this stuff, with high yields. ;)

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *

cosmo_at_pks

Apr 6, 2011
As a graphene grower here it's pretty damn hard to make this stuff with a consistent process.... the hardest thing is to get the graphene off the substrate and for you to use it...

Quite honestly, all this crap about CNTs, Graphene, Nanowires... it's all very laboratory stuff. Expect 10-15 years minimum before serious industry adoption.

http://www.poland.pl/news/article,D..._It_Mean_a_New_Era_of_Computing,id,456058.htm
http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/article.php/22753/article

I totally agree,
Now many scientists around the world were working on this process, but these guys have just discovered a way to manufacture it. Conclusion: No, we will not see it utilized tomorrow - it's a long term affair but we are one process step closer.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
no dont get me wrong..

im not saying there is no hope or potential at all.

Im just saying, its going to take a very long time b4 we go there.

To grow graphene into a waffer, will cost way more then melting a bunch of sand and then spinning the blob in a uniform blend.

Maybe in the future, it wont.. but how long into the future?
I think i'll hold my breath for OLED being cheap as LCD, b4 i can hope for a graphene cpu. :p

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
We will see the successor to EUV make it into production before graphene.

Simply way to much work to be done yet before it is commercially viable and there are plenty of alternative materials that can be used as pm mentioned if push came to shove and the cost was somehow justified.

Graphene doesn't solve any problems that are not already solvable by other known solutions, it's just another way to skin the same cat and the hope is that it leads to a cheaper alternative by the the time it is needed.

I doubt any CMOS manufacturer has graphene on their roadmaps as "Plan A" for anything in the next 20yrs.

IntelCeleron

Dec 10, 2009
155 Ghz @ 40nm:

IBM on Thursday demonstrated its fastest graphene transistor, which can execute 155 billion cycles per second, which is about 50% faster than previous experimental transistors shown by the company's researchers.

The transistor has a cut-off frequency of 155GHz, making it faster and more capable than the 100GHz graphene transistor shown by IBM in February last year, said Yu-Ming Lin, an IBM researcher.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...graphene_processor?taxonomyId=12&pageNumber=1

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
no dont get me wrong..

im not saying there is no hope or potential at all.

Im just saying, its going to take a very long time b4 we go there.

To grow graphene into a waffer, will cost way more then melting a bunch of sand and then spinning the blob in a uniform blend.

Maybe in the future, it wont.. but how long into the future?
I think i'll hold my breath for OLED being cheap as LCD, b4 i can hope for a graphene cpu. :p
On the plus side, a different method for graphene chip manufacturing might lead to higher yields, more consistent chips, and higher outputs. It may be vastly different from current chip making processes.

More money for research is definitely needed before we can write this thing off as being irrelevant.

One of the bigger issues we may have is the fact that graphene is not silicon. And by that I mean that transistors way take a very different from from their silicon predicesors. It will be nearly impossible for any company to just take a schematic designed for graphene and then re-implement a current design.