Graphene utilized, faster CPU's a reality lot sooner..

cosmo_at_pks

Apr 6, 2011
Hello,
I was following Andre Geim i Konstantin Novoselov who received Noble prize in physics last year. They were able to isolate graphene flakes for the first time, a super-material that could be used to make ultra strong and light materials, revolutionize electronics. It had long been theorized that it should be possible to create sheets of carbon atoms only one atom thick, and that they would have some pretty amazing properties. Super strong, fast and able to flex.

Now I was informed, that scientists from University of Warsaw, PL, were able to take it from the lab to the factory, the race is over and graphene shall be available for commercial use. Silicone days are counted ;) I hope....

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
near super conductive... has super thermal properties...

I heard about them.

However a concept this new will still take a while...
And Fab adoption of graphene will probably take even longer, considering how the economy is today.

Dont get me wrong, i have high hopes for the product... just i think were going to have to wait a very long time b4 we see it on anything.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think the timeframe of being able to buy products based on it, assuming that it does arrive is fast as first consumer oriented fuel cell car and late as fusion power plants.

My view is that revolutionary technologies are merely there to keep the advances coming, rather than suddenly catapult everyone into a brand new age. It's like Phase change memory. It's a big change from NAND, but its there to solve the scaling problem first and foremost. So congratulate these researchers for extending our future, not for that they created an "alien tech like" device.

If we ever see these graphene-utilizing chips, I'm pretty sure we would be using almost as revolutionary technology few years before the graphene chips arrive.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Somehow I doubt its right around the corner... it ll be years until thats common in products.

consumer oriented fuel cell car

around 2025-2030 or so when oil supplies start going low and price sky rocket, someone will come up with something or develop something for the consumers. Most people wouldnt want to give up haveing cars to use.

If it runs on olive oil to work, people would do it :p

I hope we have Graphene CPU and GPUs before 2025 ish.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
If it runs on olive oil to work, people would do it :p

That wouldn't be good either. It would mean mass amounts are required, and thus mass amounts of land. Quick and easy fertilization techniques usually render the land unusable in a decade or so, leading to barren wastelands.

Ideally I think I want electricity infrastructure for pure electric cars to develop quick enough, and power plants to go Solar or Fusion(in the way to fusion greater efficiency photovoltaic cells would be the way to go). Battery has to be way better, or someone will find a way to lower the costs on supercapacitors and use it as a buffer for peak power scenarios in to manage the batteries better. Or something. :)

Now back to graphene tech. I'm not undervaluing the tech advance. I love it. They need to keep it coming for as long as they can. But I don't like when some things are inflated/hyped beyond reality. When the hype is not met because the hype itself is so big, that's when the value perception goes away, de-valuing it.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
of.

Whats olive oil has to do with alternate fuel? Anyone who would waste one of the premiere good health natural food sources of the world in fuel is seriously braindamaged, i consume good amounts of olive tree products,olives,oil,bath soaps etc and the last thing to pass my mind is using those blessed trees as an energy source, total waste even to think about it since this tree survived the ice age and nurtured civilization in the mediterranean.

Here's some recent progress on new ways of energy.

Energy Catalyzer from Prof.Focardi and Rossi.

http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
of.

Whats olive oil has to do with alternate fuel? Anyone who would waste one of the premiere good health natural food sources of the world in fuel is seriously braindamaged, i consume good amounts of olive tree products,olives,oil,bath soaps etc and the last thing to pass my mind is using those blessed trees as an energy source, total waste even to think about it since this tree survived the ice age and nurtured civilization in the mediterranean.

Best, spammer, ever!

Or did you mean for this post to go somewhere else?

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Well im sorry i didnt quoted Arkandrel first, and yes it was slightly out of topic, please continue with your writings.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Even if AMD or Intel considers this?

I would think they would be all over it. :hmm:

AMD doesn't own any fabs anymore, so I doubt they care.

Intel has invested billions of dollars in bulk silicon - they're not going to throw all of that away overnight.

This is assuming this is all real - I'd like to see a paper with their results before I get all excited.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
AMD doesn't own any fabs anymore, so I doubt they care.

Intel has invested billions of dollars in bulk silicon - they're not going to throw all of that away overnight.

This is assuming this is all real - I'd like to see a paper with their results before I get all excited.

There is always the question of yields as well. No matter how good the tech is, it will never be adopted if the yields are crappy.

Wake me up when a company decides to build a Graphene test fab.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Well im sorry i didnt quoted Arkandrel first, and yes it was slightly out of topic, please continue with your writings.

I actually thought your account may have been compromised as this post was somewhat strange.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Even if AMD or Intel considers this?

I would think they would be all over it. :hmm:

intel spent billions on new fabs.

I dont think intel has billions more to change those fabs anytime soon.

Do you?

Wake me up when a company decides to build a Graphene test fab.

exactly... For intel to RnD and change there fabs, we would need cpu prices of 1990's.
And personally i dont want that... do you?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
of.

Yeah, how stupid would you have to be to take a major food crop that is important in the daily diet of billions of people and use it as a substitute for gasoline? You know, just in case there is some sort of "global climate change" thing happening, it might be a good idea to make sure that things like olive oil and, um, maybe corn, were actually used for food...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

Do you?

exactly... For intel to RnD and change there fabs, we would need cpu prices of 1990's.

It depends on their timeframe for amortizing the cost of the fabs. If they remain on a two year shrink cycle it would be tough, but going to a completely different material that is much more high tech/costly/etc would likely enable them to stretch out the shrink phase a few more years. In fact, it's highly unlikely that anybody could follow them for many years, so they would be able to slow-play us with minimal performance enhancements, power savings, efficiency improvements, etc etc for many years. Also, it is incumbent upon intel to either do the research/development on this theory (and many others most likely) or at least to sponser someone else in it because if they don't then they could be eclipsed by a graphene-based competitor in the not too distant future.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010

Do you?

Intel makes more money now then they did in the 90's while lowering the cost of the CPU. I think we could see some good RnD in under a decade with consumer applications in 12-18 years.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
near super conductive... has super thermal properties...

I heard about them.

However a concept this new will still take a while...
And Fab adoption of graphene will probably take even longer, considering how the economy is today.

Dont get me wrong, i have high hopes for the product... just i think were going to have to wait a very long time b4 we see it on anything.

Whoever does it first will cash the checks. Same as always.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Disruptive technologies are usually adopted by start ups or mash ups. I would doubt intel would bet the farm on something unproven....

Feb 19, 2001
As a graphene grower here it's pretty damn hard to make this stuff with a consistent process.... the hardest thing is to get the graphene off the substrate and for you to use it...

Quite honestly, all this crap about CNTs, Graphene, Nanowires... it's all very laboratory stuff. Expect 10-15 years minimum before serious industry adoption.

Last edited:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009

Do you?

Uh, Intel spends billions on R&D in a quarter alone, and them doshing out billions of $ on fabs is getting to be play money to them.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
As a graphene grower here it's pretty damn hard to make this stuff with a consistent process.... the hardest thing is to get the graphene off the substrate and for you to use it...

Quite honestly, all this crap about CNTs, Graphene, Nanowires... it's all very laboratory stuff. Expect 10-15 years minimum before serious industry adoption.

This as well. If these guys found a way to mass-produce crystalline graphene, then it's a big deal. But I'm going to wait for the paper to show up in my IEEE Xplore account (or a patent application or something) before I get excited - a drive-by forum post isn't enough :p

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I did some Googling. It's interesting stuff. But as an engineer who has been more than passingly acquainted with process development, I can say that just being able to make the stuff, and just because it has good electrical properties doesn't mean that it will be a cost-effective replacement for silicon. This is a step closer... but it's just a step. If being able to make something and having it be better than silicon was all that it took, we'd all be using CPU's on gallium arsenide (or Indium Phosphide).

This interview with Dr. Novoselov is interesting - and entertaining too. Peeling the layers with Scotch tape being the industry acknowledged best practice... too cool.
http://sciencewatch.com/ana/st/graphene/09febSTGraNovo/

PS. Moja żona uczestniczyło Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego. Ona jest polska.