Gran Turismo 4 slips to "winter" in Japan...

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Gran Turismo 4 slips to "winter" in Japan

At present, the game is still loosely aimed at a November release in North America, but it's not clear how likely it actually is to hit that date. Failure to ship Gran Turismo 4 ahead of Christmas would be perceived as a major blow to Sony in a crucial selling period for the industry as a whole.

I thought Japan got PS2 games before NA? :confused:

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought this game was going to be released this week - 12/15/2004, or thereabouts. However, a quick check @ EB Games reveals that 2/25/2005 is now the release date. Damn, the date keeps on slipping. :(

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
As long as they take their time and get it right.... Quality >>> getting a buggy game early that can't be patched.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Chadder007
As long as they take their time and get it right.... Quality >>> getting a buggy game early that can't be patched.

We shall refer to this act of endless postponing as "Pulling a Gabe"

- M4H

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

- M4H

Or maybe they are pulling an EA and working the programmers 16 hour days 6 days a week ....causing the programmers to screw up everything before the release because they can't sleep.

trilks

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2002

- M4H

Or maybe they are pulling an EA and working the programmers 16 hour days 6 days a week ....causing the programmers to screw up everything before the release because they can't sleep.

Or maybe they keep pushing it back on purpose to build up hype? But more likely fixing last minute bugs.

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
Sucks that the game doesnt have a damage model...

GT would be the most amazing game EVER if it had the option of vehicle damage...

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: trilks

- M4H

Or maybe they keep pushing it back on purpose to build up hype? But more likely fixing last minute bugs.

I think it's just their own delays making the release later and later. It would be completely silly for them to intentionally miss the opportunity of selling this game for this Holiday season.

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
I really dont think they will lose any money not getting it out before Christmas... People are going to buy the game regardless of when it comes out... They have this assurance because of the other three games that have sold millions...

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
if they're going to postpone it might as well take a few more months and put online play back in

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i REALLY REALLY hope this game is better than the GT4 Prologue Edition.

that is one of the crappiest racing games i have ever played. GT started to suck after GT1. GT3 had like 13 or 15 tracks, with more than half of them coming from the previous games. the graphics were good, but the game just blew.

ill stick to burnout 3 for racing games.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

At present, the game is still loosely aimed at a November release in North America, but it's not clear how likely it actually is to hit that date. Failure to ship Gran Turismo 4 ahead of Christmas would be perceived as a major blow to Sony in a crucial selling period for the industry as a whole.

They lost me on GT 3. 1 was amazing, 2 and 3 were lame. The cars sucked and the game play was no better than 1. I was essentially paying $20 to get updated cars and the new cars blew chunks. They can take as long as they want with 4 because I won't be buying it.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

They lost me on GT 3. 1 was amazing, 2 and 3 were lame. The cars sucked and the game play was no better than 1. I was essentially paying $20 to get updated cars and the new cars blew chunks. They can take as long as they want with 4 because I won't be buying it.

GT3 is the greatest racing *simulation* game I've played. If you want arcade style, there are plenty of crap out there.

This is sad news though... i just bought a Driving Force wheel too..

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
My friend is coming over with a few Japanese versions. If you guys want, I can tell him to grab a couple more for you guys.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just bought a ps2 JUST for this game, im sure i'll get some other but gt4 get priority :D

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: AdamSnow
Sucks that the game doesnt have a damage model...

GT would be the most amazing game EVER if it had the option of vehicle damage...

It's a condition of their license agreement with the car manufacturers. MFG's don't like seeing their cars damaged.

GT5 - however - they've already negotiated with the major manufacturers to make it happen.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: shabby
I just bought a ps2 JUST for this game, im sure i'll get some other but gt4 get priority :D

I grabbed a 70000 unit last night to replace my aging 10000. We need this game - soon.