GPU Prices are crazy... what's reasonable for a 1070 or 1080?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
1060's and 580s are starting to show up in stock at slightly above MSRP. Hopefully this is a good trend.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
PC Gaming to average joe is a really hard sell right now when decent "console level" GPU experiences cost more for just the GPU than the whole console.

You've got that right! PC Gaming industry has to wise up, or increase supply, or something. This mining craze is really choking PC Gaming.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
People doomcrying PC Gaming due to simply a subset of the latest graphics cards being out of stock for MSRP are the same people who fall for any other clickbait.

GTX 970s, GTX 980s, GTX 980 Tis haven't magically disappeared off the face of the planet.

Buying used GTX 970s, GTX 980s, or GTX 980 Tis nicely fill the gap of the cards that are hard to get, and if you need more power you can simply buy 1080 (until they sell out too) and 1080 Ti (which are highly unlikely to sell out at this point)

GTX 970

https://www.ebay.com/b/NVIDIA-GeFor...=15&LH_ItemCondition=2000|1500|2500|3000|1000

GTX 980

https://www.ebay.com/b/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Computer-Graphics-Cards/27386/bn_8952206?LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=2500|1500|1000|3000&rt=nc&_sop=15

GTX 980 Ti

https://www.ebay.com/b/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-Computer-Graphics-Video-Cards/27386/bn_8952537?LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&LH_ItemCondition=2000|1000|1500|2500|3000

Last edited:

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
I have some of those in my watch list, but like some have already commented on they want new cards with warranty's. For instance it is about cost, how much is a warranty worth? The other day I was watching a 980 go for $200 and with shipping it would of cost something like $235, for that amount you can get a 1060 3gb with warranty new. I did not bid on that card, as to me spending $250 with no warranty is not worth it.

Another aspect is say you want to use the card with 4k UHD in the future, don't think many maxell cards will come that that support. I don't know about you but in a few years I would want maybe to buy a UHD optical drive and enjoy 4k support on a new monitor.

A while ago I was tempted to sell my gtx 1060 6 gb card, but decided not too as I enjoy using it for Boinc, and even if I did where is the card for it's replacement. 1070s, RX580s I would not be able to game as I only have really one modern card, and my r7 260x doesn't do 1440p very well. I guess for that matter neither does my 1060, but if I turn things down a bit it is manageable.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
I have some of those in my watch list, but like some have already commented on they want new cards with warranty's. For instance it is about cost, how much is a warranty worth? The other day I was watching a 980 go for $200 and with shipping it would of cost something like $235, for that amount you can get a 1060 3gb with warranty new. I did not bid on that card, as to me spending $250 with no warranty is not worth it.

Another aspect is say you want to use the card with 4k UHD in the future, don't think many maxell cards will come that that support. I don't know about you but in a few years I would want maybe to buy a UHD optical drive and enjoy 4k support on a new monitor.

A while ago I was tempted to sell my gtx 1060 6 gb card, but decided not too as I enjoy using it for Boinc, and even if I did where is the card for it's replacement. 1070s, RX580s I would not be able to game as I only have really one modern card, and my r7 260x doesn't do 1440p very well. I guess for that matter neither does my 1060, but if I turn things down a bit it is manageable.

Ebay has the best 6 month warranty in the business. I've been scammed enough times to know :p.

The Maxwell cards mentioned support Displayport 1.2 and HDMI 2.0

The Maxwell cards that matter supports 4k 60hz just fine.

If you want to play in UHD ("in the future") then you should be buying a 1080 (at bare minimum) or a 1080 ti anyways

None of your other concerns really pertain to "death of pc gaming OMG!," so it really doesn't matter.

Also protip:

The people who spam on forums that used cards on ebay are cancer are usually the shills (since used cards on ebay doesn't usually make the companies more money as compared to buying new).

There are plenty of companies with warranties that are worse than the 6 month ebay warranty, and people buy those cards without a second thought.

Last edited:

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
GTX 970s, GTX 980s, GTX 980 Tis haven't magically disappeared off the face of the planet.

Buying used GTX 970s, GTX 980s, or GTX 980 Tis nicely fill the gap of the cards that are hard to get, and if you need more power you can simply buy 1080 (until they sell out too) and 1080 Ti (which are highly unlikely to sell out at this point)
Used cards (not only 970&980, but even old HD 7xxx) increased in price too, sometimes drastically. You're acting like they've stayed "pre-mining" leveles unlike new GPUs and they did not.

Rather than paying more for used cards that are often without or with short warranty, many budgetcustomers might either give up on uppgrading or go towards "non-pro" Xb1&PS4 which unlike used GPUs actually decreased in price. Both new & used ones.

High prices of gaming components will always be detrimental to gaming proportionally to how high prices will stay and for how long (or how often they will spike).

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Used cards (not only 970&980, but even old HD 7xxx) increased in price too.

Rather than paying more for used cards that are often without or with short warranty, many budgetcustomers might either give up on uppgrading or go towards "non-pro" Xb1&PS4 which unlike used GPUs actually decreased in price. Both new & used ones.

Good thing we don't have to speculate on this, since we have data that shows that the entire line of argument is moot

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Gamers are getting cards just fine, and they are using them.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
*facepalm*

That survey does not support or deny my or your argument. You're aware of that?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Out of desperation, I picked up a used 970 (MSI gaming) for 190 off Ebay. Even the 3 GB 1060s are going for well over $200 wherever I look.

Once overclocked, its performance is very comparable to the 480/580/1060. The only downside is the VRAM, but I haven't run into issues with that yet. GTA V actually gets into the 3.5 - 4 GB range, and I haven't noticed much frame rate loss, if at all.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Out of desperation, I picked up a used 970 (MSI gaming) for 190 off Ebay. Even the 3 GB 1060s are going for well over $200 wherever I look.

Once overclocked, its performance is very comparable to the 480/580/1060. The only downside is the VRAM, but I haven't run into issues with that yet. GTA V actually gets into the 3.5 - 4 GB range, and I haven't noticed much frame rate loss, if at all.

The clickbait articles about the GTX 970 stopped being relevant a few weeks after the issue popped up....... in 2014.

Nvidia changed how the card prioritized the memory pool and the problem is merely a figment of people's imagination now.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
The clickbait articles about the GTX 970 stopped being relevant a few weeks after the issue popped up....... in 2014.

Nvidia changed how the card prioritized the memory pool and the problem is merely a figment of people's imagination now.

Or you can buy a Console and not worry about any of that stuff.

"Hey Joe, you can totally join #pcmasterrace. Just buy all these computer parts. And oh yeah, GPU prices spiked recently, but it's cool, just go on eBay and buy someone's used generation old equipment. Yeah, then just get it all put together, and configure it. Yeah, don't forget you have to patch it too. Oh, your GPU didn't work out? Sorry about that, just open a case with eBay and wait it out while they deliberate. Yeah, you don't actually get a replacement card, you just got some money back, now you have to go find another GPU to try out".

"Oh, you just want to go buy a PS4 Pro for $200 more than what that sweet 970 cost? Why would you want to do that Joe?"

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007

"Hey Joe, you can totally join #pcmasterrace. Just buy all these computer parts. And oh yeah, GPU prices spiked recently, but it's cool, just go on eBay and buy someone's used generation old equipment. Yeah, then just get it all put together, and configure it. Yeah, don't forget you have to patch it too. Oh, your GPU didn't work out? Sorry about that, just open a case with eBay and wait it out while they deliberate. Yeah, you don't actually get a replacement card, you just got some money back, now you have to go find another GPU to try out".

"Oh, you just want to go buy a PS4 Pro for $200 more than what that sweet 970 cost? Why would you want to do that Joe?"

People sure love circlejerks.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Statistics don't care about what you "feel like" is going on :D.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017

I would just tell Joe to pick up a 1050 ti if he's desperate to get into PC gaming. If not, get a console and call it good. PC gaming is always a hard sell.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Or just go retro and forget everything... old games are still enjoyable.

I pretty much do that. All my games come from GoG these days, but I was thinking about a GPU upgrade to play Witcher 3, but not with current obscene GPU prices.

I am now starting to consider just having APUs on my future PCs, playing old games on that just fine, and grabbing a console for the few modern titles that interest me.

That also means, SFF PC is much more practical if you don't need a video card.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
Yep. Many people might start doing those kind of decisions if situation won't be adressed soon.

It is not just GPU too. Overall power-user computing price is high and fluctuating hard in last years. Just to name HDD price hike few years ago that lasted a long time, SSD, RAM price hike, even CPU market was heavily price segmented by dominating Intel, etc

Many media and consumers are patting themself on the back because "GAMING PCs" were strong in last years with power-user level&High end stuff was selling well, but I have a feeling that this growth might come to sudden end unless prices will become adressed soon. (not only GPU prices, but generally).

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Exactly. If I decide to move my new gaming over to a console, not only do I save on graphics card, I don't need much of power supply, or slots, or a giant case.

All of sudden something like Deskmini 110 (but preferably with Raven Ridge APU) become a serious possability:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10404/asrock-deskmini-110-ministx-pc-review/7

Cheap, simple, small. The more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Exactly. If I decide to move my new gaming over to a console, not only do I save on graphics card, I don't need much of power supply, or slots, or a giant case.

All of sudden something like Deskmini 110 (but preferably with Raven Ridge APU) become a serious possability:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10404/asrock-deskmini-110-ministx-pc-review/7

Cheap, simple, small. The more I think about it, the more I am warming to the idea.

The day they come up with something competetive with a mouse for input I might follow up.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Foretelling the fall of of PC gaming due to the lack of retail mid-high end GPUs is a bit myopic.
I'd look to NAND and DRAM as a more likely culprit to falling PC sales, the DIY crowd is pretty small in comparison to ODM/OEM systems.

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
Foretelling the fall of of PC gaming due to the lack of retail mid-high end GPUs is a bit myopic.
I'd look to NAND and DRAM as a more likely culprit to falling PC sales, the DIY crowd is pretty small in comparison to ODM/OEM systems.
No idea how it is in USA, but in Poland - majority of Desktop Gaming PCs are either DYI or custom made (customer chooses parts and provider assemble it for customer) by local/regional providers rather than pre-made desktop models from Dell, HP, etc

Of course it is very diffrent in laptops or office / workstation desktop PCs where majority is premade models with support by either local or international companies, but we're talking about gaming desktop PCs.

Althrough I do agree that RAM, NAND (and in past HDD and other) are hurting PC Gaming/power-user computing a lot long-term.