Got screwed by Washington Mutual

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004
I'm thinking it would be fun to figure out every single transaction in which washington mutual could potentially lose money. Making daily deposits for one cent, for example. There must be a lot of ways you could slowly screw them with all the free checking accounts they offer and what not just like they screw you without violating any of their agreements.

Yup, your one man war will make a huge dent when all that it amounts to is a millionth of a percent of difference in EPS numbers for WM stock.

No a one man war would not. But if every man took the time to not get taken advantage of it would make a big dent. I suppose you don't vote either. It's not like your one vote makes a difference.

Yeah...then they would start charging for these free things they give us because of idiots like you. As stated, this is a lesson that most young adults and kids go through. Abusing the system because you're not mature enough to handle your own finances isn't the key. It is your fault, be a man and live with it.

This is by far the most idiotic statement I have ever read. If you feel you have been taken advange of do something about it. What are you going to do if someone spits in your face? Be a man and live with it?

May 13, 2005
Originally posted by: thechinesehero
I've never even heard of an "overdraft fee." I would expect that if you write a bad check it would bounce. I would expect that if you tried to withdrawl money you did not have you would not get the money. I would expect that if you tried to pay with a debit card with no money it would be denied. This seems logical enough to me.

well, we can see that you don't get out much.

Get out much? I've had a checking and savings account for ten years with this bank and it's the first time I have ever overdrawn an account in that amount of time.

uh.. you had a checking and savings account since you were 11? right.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
I'm thinking it would be fun to figure out every single transaction in which washington mutual could potentially lose money. Making daily deposits for one cent, for example. There must be a lot of ways you could slowly screw them with all the free checking accounts they offer and what not just like they screw you without violating any of their agreements.

Yup, your one man war will make a huge dent when all that it amounts to is a millionth of a percent of difference in EPS numbers for WM stock.

No a one man war would not. But if every man took the time to not get taken advantage of it would make a big dent. I suppose you don't vote either. It's not like your one vote makes a difference.

Yeah...then they would start charging for these free things they give us because of idiots like you. As stated, this is a lesson that most young adults and kids go through. Abusing the system because you're not mature enough to handle your own finances isn't the key. It is your fault, be a man and live with it.

This is by far the most idiotic statement I have ever read. If you feel you have been taken advange of do something about it. What are you going to do if someone spits in your face? Be a man and live with it?

They didn't spit at your face for no reason. It stated somewhere that if you cross the line, you would get spit in the face. And you...crossed the line, therefore, suffer the consequences.

Most people on this thread think you should take responsibility on your own hand. Try to be an adult and listen.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I've never even heard of an "overdraft fee." I would expect that if you write a bad check it would bounce. I would expect that if you tried to withdrawl money you did not have you would not get the money. I would expect that if you tried to pay with a debit card with no money it would be denied. This seems logical enough to me.

Get out much? I've had a checking and savings account for ten years with this bank and it's the first time I have ever overdrawn an account in that amount of time.

you had a bank account at 11?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

I think so. Maybe not a checking account back then but definately a savings account. I've had the checking account for some time.

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
No the problem with America is greedy coorporations that would rather nickel and dime you than provide quality service and build a loyal customer base.

LOL, you're funny!

Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

Hardly unusual. The checking account bit is, however.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Have you considered that perhaps WM DIDN'T purposely screw you over, and perhaps they themselves were not aware you were in the negative until the end of the day? It's not like everything gets processed all the way through 100% instantly.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: archcommus
Have you considered that perhaps WM DIDN'T purposely screw you over, and perhaps they themselves were not aware you were in the negative until the end of the day? It's not like everything gets processed all the way through 100% instantly.

If they were aware they wouldn't have called.

He has overdraft protection. and yes the system at WM is designed to screw stupid people.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

He has overdraft protection. and yes the system at WM is designed to screw stupid people.
At what point did they call? I'm not seeing that in the OP.

I honestly think they weren't aware of your overdraw the very *second* it happened the first time.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
the funny thing is that your bank likely offers (for free) a service that automatically moves moeny from one account to the other if you withdraw too much from 1.

How you feel this is the bank screwing you over is beyond me. This is a bank. This is (one way) that they make money.

You're rant and complant are totally without merit. You are a total idiot.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
overdraft protection > you

however it does suck, that your bank is full of assholes, similar thing happened to me and a buddy of mine with M&T bank, they knocked them all down to 1 overdraft fee because they were nice

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

At what point did they call? I'm not seeing that in the OP.

I honestly think they weren't aware of your overdraw the very *second* it happened the first time.
The point was if they are aware of your overdraft/ overdraft potential there would be no notification (not that any bank would)? Why? Because he has auto overdraft protection which nets them $30 a pop. Short term high intrest loan.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Homerboy
the funny thing is that your bank likely offers (for free) a service that automatically moves moeny from one account to the other if you withdraw too much from 1.

How you feel this is the bank screwing you over is beyond me. This is a bank. This is (one way) that they make money.

You're rant and complant are totally without merit. You are a total idiot.

STFU. I already said I was legally liable and that is was my error. It's still BS and I'll rant all I want.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

No THAT and your OP was the most idiotic statement.

You're just a child. We'll leave it at that.

Almost everyone who's had a checking account, at one time or another, has accidently overdrawn. The difference is they didn't whine and try to plot ways to blame the bank company. You're sitting around acting like a 15 year old. It's just pathetic.

Be a man...take responsibility for your own actions.

You asked them to spit in your face...then you cry foul?

Good Job.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: KLin
Close the account. That'll show those assholes they can't mess with you and your 350 dollar paycheck.

Right! That's what I would do. Hurt them. :laugh:

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
They are a bank, you can't touch them. If you do, you go to jail for fraud or bank robbery.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
yeah, you should've learned about banks before you signed on with one. I got hit for an overdraft fee once, but it was only $30. I ate it and vowed never to be so careless again. Overdraft protection costs more and I chose not to use it.

If I were in your shoes (I wouldn't be because I'm careful now) and owe them that much, I wouldn't expect to get out of it scot-free... no way, not that much... especially with their written terms from the very beginning. BUT: I'm curious how it amounted to that much though, because it should be calculated to be overdrafted or not at the end of the day and that's it. On one other occasion, I was over but I deposited more electronically and I was ok for that day and never got hit with fees.

Oh yeah, the other lesson is to keep at least a $100 cushion there at all times.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think everyone living paycheck to paycheck has seen these fees. As said before...live and learn. Best advice is to always keep an eye on your balance and remember, they tend to cash the largest checks first just so they can get you on the smaller, insignificant ones. My bank charges $28-30 per overdraft (or so their last memo stated)...so consider yourself lucky.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
How about you stop using your check card and start using your credit card instead, since you say you've never carried a balance.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Just call em up and talk to them.... if this is your first time, you can probably get the charges reversed... I used to know a guy who worked for WM... he's the one who told me this. Just talk to them.

-Max

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
You have an overdraft fee because WA automatically gives you like $200 in overdraft protection. To make it even worse (or better) they keep adding to that amount.
I'm confused here... are you saying we can overdraft up to $200 without being penalized ? For a free checking account ? Not the case with me when I got hit for being < $100 over one day.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Wow, some of the people in here are acting like total asswipes. I bank with Bank of America and had almost the exact same situation pop up. I called the call center and the understanding rep was able to reverse three charges and then told me to go the branch office to get the other 3 reversed. After a brief conversation with the manager, he immediately reversed the rest of the overdrafts.

The bank should have made an effort to reverse some of the charges, forget about the fine freaking print, it would have been the right thing to do. No wonder they advertise their free checking so much, they probably nail tons of people like the OP on a daily basis.

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jadinolf
Originally posted by: KLin
Close the account. That'll show those assholes they can't mess with you and your 350 dollar paycheck.

Right! That's what I would do. Hurt them. :laugh:

I work for Washington Mutual.

Please leave. Believe me, the mortal wound you will inflict on our tiny institution will probably bring the entire corporation to its knees.

Thanks for putting an ATOT'er out of a job.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Hey I'm not saying I didn't goof up. But I don't think that goof up warranted $150 in fees. It's a sleezy business tactic and you know it is.

how do you figure? Should we let deadbeats rack up 10 or so overdrafts in a day and get charged with one fee?

maybe you just don't get it though, there was a chick at the Sun Trust by University of Florida when I went there that insisted it doesn't matter what the bank says, she goes by what her checkbook says and they have to listen to her as their customer. She threatened to sue, take her 'business' elsewhere, etc...in the end they did not waver. Her quote was something like "that's more in fees than my next paycheck"