Got screwed by Washington Mutual

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dowxp

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2000
You should try wells fargo. Many a times I've made a mistake. Just going to the online contact form and asking nicely would get the fee removed. Since then they have implemented overdraft protection using a credit card.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
in an unrelated note, Washington Mutual will give me $75 for keeping a new checking account open for 2 months with a $1 balance.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I'm thinking it would be fun to figure out every single transaction in which washington mutual could potentially lose money. Making daily deposits for one cent, for example. There must be a lot of ways you could slowly screw them with all the free checking accounts they offer and what not just like they screw you without violating any of their agreements.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
I'm thinking it would be fun to figure out every single transaction in which washington mutual could potentially lose money. Making daily deposits for one cent, for example. There must be a lot of ways you could slowly screw them with all the free checking accounts they offer and what not just like they screw you without violating any of their agreements.

Your time also equal money.

I think there was a recent lawsuit about this overdraft fee scam with some sort of settlement.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

How old are you? 15?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: iversonyin

How old are you? 15?

12 would be my guess.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
1. Find a hot teller.
2. Ask her to join you in the vault.
3. ...
4. Profit.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Hey I'm not saying I didn't goof up. But I don't think that goof up warranted $150 in fees. It's a sleezy business tactic and you know it is.

I agree with you to some extent. It was your own fault, yes... but the bank should have at least called you and let you know that you were gonna overdraw,

The b/f was with the same bank for over 15yrs. His whole family banks there and his parents are multimillionares and all the banking is thru there, as well as the rest of the family... anyway one day I screwed up and accidently made a deposit into his business that should have went into the personal account. A check bounced. It was the insurance check for his work truck. the bank manager never even made a phone call... my fault... yes. But I would like to think that if this household alone has FOUR accounts with that one bank, they will look after my accounts a bit. I came to find out that the bank manager was a new young girl and when she saw it hit her desk that morning, made a decision to bounce it instead of honoring it or making a phone call. To be honest... we have over $20,000 combined on the other three accounts, so it is not like we were gonna skate on the overdraft. She was too lazy to look or call. I asked for all the paperwork to close al four accounts. I got a the biggest asskissing call from the area manager ... he even wrote a letter to the insurance company. I use a different branch now, and banking is as it should be. personal.

i would be pissed if i were you and i would either just move or b!tch to the area manager.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000

How old are you? 15?

I'm 21, asshole. It's the principal of the matter. Sure I could just work a couple extra days and make an extra $150 for a lot less trouble than it would be fighting with wamu. That's what most folks would do and that's why banks get away with policies like this.

If you stood up for yourself (yes the above example is quite idiotic but that is not the point) banks would not get away with this.

It's the same with stupid traffic violations. I got a ticket for going less than 10 mph over the speed limit on a deserted road once. Cops get away with this because nobody goes to court. Sure it's a waste of time but trust me if everyone who got a ticket went to court and wasted the cops time, the judges time and whole lot of other folks time police would be a lot less anxious to write bs tickets like that.

Idiot.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
You expected pity from here? Granted I think overdraft fees are a bunch of crock but you did screw up. Try going to a different branch and maybe you'll find a branch manager who will pity you.

IndieSnob

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2001

How old are you? 15?

I'm 21, asshole. It's the principal of the matter. Sure I could just work a couple extra days and make an extra $150 for a lot less trouble than it would be fighting with wamu. That's what most folks would do and that's why banks get away with policies like this.

If you stood up for yourself (yes the above example is quite idiotic but that is not the point) banks would not get away with this.

It's the same with stupid traffic violations. I got a ticket for going less than 10 mph over the speed limit on a deserted road once. Cops get away with this because nobody goes to court. Sure it's a waste of time but trust me if everyone who got a ticket went to court and wasted the cops time, the judges time and whole lot of other folks time police would be a lot less anxious to write bs tickets like that.

Idiot.

This is the problem with Americans now adays. They don't read the fine print, and then act like it's someone elses fault.

Again, IT IS YOUR FAULT, not Washington Mutuals. If you can't keep track of how much money you have in your account, or you don't deposit into the right account, you have no reason to gripe.

And to those that say 'well at least they can inform you of this', that is utter BS. They are not babysitters of your money. If you're stupid enough not to keep a close eye on what you're doing, why should they have someone take time out to call you?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

How about SLOW DOWN and LEARN TO DEPOSIT.

This is called a life lesson. You're young and stupid. Blaming others and trying to get back with them is immature and pointless. There are rules to many things in life....BUT you make choices. If you don't like their rules...quit banking there. Quit drink...and quit your freaking whining.

It's your fault. Live with it.

Sep 29, 2004
I've never even heard of an "overdraft fee." I would expect that if you write a bad check it would bounce. I would expect that if you tried to withdrawl money you did not have you would not get the money. I would expect that if you tried to pay with a debit card with no money it would be denied. This seems logical enough to me.

Overdraft fees ... yup that not exactly unique to WM.

Sep 29, 2004

Yup, your one man war will make a huge dent when all that it amounts to is a millionth of a percent of difference in EPS numbers for WM stock.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: IndieSnob

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

This is the problem with Americans now adays. They don't read the fine print, and then act like it's someone elses fault.

Again, IT IS YOUR FAULT, not Washington Mutuals. If you can't keep track of how much money you have in your account, or you don't deposit into the right account, you have no reason to gripe.

And to those that say 'well at least they can inform you of this', that is utter BS. They are not babysitters of your money. If you're stupid enough not to keep a close eye on what you're doing, why should they have someone take time out to call you?

No the problem with America is greedy coorporations that would rather nickel and dime you than provide quality service and build a loyal customer base.

Sep 29, 2004

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

21! Same thing in terms of understanding money.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

I agree.

What I don't agree with is the automatic overdraft protection that gradually gets raised.

It is deigned to make it so they can keep you in the hole and charge you fees while you are there. The bank itself is marketed toward the "poor". I can't tell you how many of the familiar "overdraft fees" envelopes I see people getting (mail in the community is delivered to my wife's office). The only legal overdraft protection should be based on money in your savings account.

Granted it is stupid but people get dependent on this money, overspend one month, and then they are stuck in the hole.

In a way it is a great service because you won't owe any nsf fees to the merchant but otherwise...............

May 13, 2005
I've never even heard of an "overdraft fee." I would expect that if you write a bad check it would bounce. I would expect that if you tried to withdrawl money you did not have you would not get the money. I would expect that if you tried to pay with a debit card with no money it would be denied. This seems logical enough to me.

well, we can see that you don't get out much.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004

Yup, your one man war will make a huge dent when all that it amounts to is a millionth of a percent of difference in EPS numbers for WM stock.

No a one man war would not. But if every man took the time to not get taken advantage of it would make a big dent. I suppose you don't vote either. It's not like your one vote makes a difference.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

No the problem with America is greedy coorporations that would rather nickel and dime you than provide quality service and build a loyal customer base.

Sue the bank then, see who's win?

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: thechinesehero

Most people probably don't see overdraft fees because most of the time when the account is empty it is empty.
NSF on checks and NSF fees? yes.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004

How old are you? 15?

Idiot.

What principal? That a 21 year old grown man can't take the responsibility of his own and blame it on someone else? And your though of retailation is nothing but childish.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004

No a one man war would not. But if every man took the time to not get taken advantage of it would make a big dent. I suppose you don't vote either. It's not like your one vote makes a difference.

Yeah...then they would start charging for these free things they give us because of idiots like you. As stated, this is a lesson that most young adults and kids go through. Abusing the system because you're not mature enough to handle your own finances isn't the key. It is your fault, be a man and live with it.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: thechinesehero

Get out much? I've had a checking and savings account for ten years with this bank and it's the first time I have ever overdrawn an account in that amount of time.

May 13, 2005
Citizen Doug sounds like the guy who killed his daughter backing out of the driveway and sueing the car cmpany.

IT'S your own damn fault, quit moaning you poor ass trash.