Got a ticket this morning :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: sixone
Originally posted by: quakefiend420
for rolling through a stop sign at 4am...not another car on the road...fairly open intersection...you can see traffic coming both ways for about 300 ft when you're still 50 feet from the stop sign...i slowed down from 35mph and rolled through it at about 5mph...a cop that was sitting 2 blocks down then proceeds to haul ass to catch me...covers 4 blocks in the amount of time i cover 2...and since i was going 30mph...means she was going 60 in a 30mph zone with no lights or siren on to catch me that quick...then she actually writes me a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign...i was incredulous...keep in mind this is a town of 9000 people...in the 20 minutes i was pulled over not a single car drove past...i asked her if that was really neccessary, she replied "you broke the law, you pay the price"

never mind she had to do twice the legal limit to catch me that quickly :roll: i almost said something, but thought better of it...hopefully i can convince the judge to dismiss it, considering the circumstances

now i shall wait for the replies of "it doesn't matter what they do they're law enforcement, you broke the law, pay the damn ticket and stfu"

All you need to go is go back to the stop sign, and take a picture of the part that says "except if you're Quakefiend, at 4am, when you don't see any traffic." Show that to the judge, and you're off the hook.

An ounce of prevention, as they say, is worth a pound of cure.

so i guess you stopped for a full two seconds at every stop sign you have ever encountered in your lifetime, right?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

so i guess you stopped for a full two seconds at every stop sign you have ever encountered in your lifetime, right?

Nobody does, but most people don't drive the speed limit either, doesn't change that it's against the law and it doesn't change what the judge is going to say to you. Does your state offer deferred adjudication or traffic school to avoid an insurance increase? Look into that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
for rolling through a stop sign at 4am...not another car on the road...fairly open intersection...you can see traffic coming both ways for about 300 ft when you're still 50 feet from the stop sign...i slowed down from 35mph and rolled through it at about 5mph...a cop that was sitting 2 blocks down then proceeds to haul ass to catch me...covers 4 blocks in the amount of time i cover 2...and since i was going 30mph...means she was going 60 in a 30mph zone with no lights or siren on to catch me that quick...then she actually writes me a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign...i was incredulous...keep in mind this is a town of 9000 people...in the 20 minutes i was pulled over not a single car drove past...i asked her if that was really neccessary, she replied "you broke the law, you pay the price"

never mind she had to do twice the legal limit to catch me that quickly :roll: i almost said something, but thought better of it...hopefully i can convince the judge to dismiss it, considering the circumstances

now i shall wait for the replies of "it doesn't matter what they do they're law enforcement, you broke the law, pay the damn ticket and stfu"

I always say aren't you going to thank me for contributing to your Christmas party fund?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
"it doesn't matter what they do they're law enforcement, you broke the law, pay the damn ticket and stfu"

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: sixone

All you need to go is go back to the stop sign, and take a picture of the part that says "except if you're Quakefiend, at 4am, when you don't see any traffic." Show that to the judge, and you're off the hook.

An ounce of prevention, as they say, is worth a pound of cure.

I know I have never bitched about getting a ticket that I deserved ;)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What probably happened is that the cop was looking for drunk drivers and suspected you might have been drunk. When you ran the stop sign that gave her a reason to pull you over and find out.

Is it possible you might have rolled through faster than 5 mph?

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: kranky
What probably happened is that the cop was looking for drunk drivers and suspected you might have been drunk. When you ran the stop sign that gave her a reason to pull you over and find out.

Is it possible you might have rolled through faster than 5 mph?

it's possible...but maybe 7-8 mph tops...i slowed down quite a bit

AdamSnow

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2002
Understandable that the police officer broke the speed limit to catch you breaking the law...

It's their job to enforce the job... and at that time in the morning they dont know if you are just rolling through, drunk, etc...

Personally I think the officer did just what was needed to ensure the safety of the other drivers on the road.

Pay up.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Nothing you can do about it.

But you could be an ass and file a complaint that the officer was speeding through the residential area with no lights on in the dark. That'd be about as stupid as not stopping at the stop sign, though.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: AdamSnow
Understandable that the police officer broke the speed limit to catch you breaking the law...

It's their job to enforce the job... and at that time in the morning they dont know if you are just rolling through, drunk, etc...

Personally I think the officer did just what was needed to ensure the safety of the other drivers on the road.

Pay up.

what other drivers?

I'd roll the stop sign too... proves that the punk cops have nothing better to do is all.

:p

Here is what the judge is going to ask you:

"Son, did you come to a complete stop at the stop sign?"
"No, but..."
"Guilty. Pay the fine of XX to the court clerk and your license will be handed back to you. Try to pay better attention next time."

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I don't think you should come to a complete wheel stop, but you should at least stop your momentum enough that it looks like you stopped at a stop sign. Rolling through at 5mph is still not good enough IMO. I think cops will cut you some slack if you did the momentum thing. I do that much even if there's not a single car in sight because you just never know.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Does that 1 second you saved by not stopping seem worth it now? Quit whining. Too bad the cop didn't taser your ass for being an idiot.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i dont think the judge will dismiss it, but more than likely, the prosecutor will downgrade it to a non-moving violation.

claydawg

Feb 3, 2005
Citizen's Arrest!

The only thing worse than getting a ticket, is getting a ticket from a ::gasp:: female cop.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I can't comment with out pics of the cop. If shes a hottie, you deserved it. If not, you could always attempt to get out of it by giving her some action. =)