Gorilla Lives Matter!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Any barrier that is almost 100% impenetrable is almost guaranteed to also obstruct your view of the enclosure, which kind of defeats the whole point. Even glass/plexiglass/etc. gets really cruddy and opaque over time. Also even if you build the thing 8 feet high, I guarantee parents will just start lifting their kids up on their shoulders to see over it.

At some point we need to hold visitors accountable instead of trying to make everything in the world idiot-proof.

I'm not saying you're wrong but...

16x9

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I'm not saying you're wrong but...

16x9

That's a very impressive setup, but I doubt it could be done that way for every enclosure in a large zoo. I suppose you could have smaller sections like that and then wall off the rest, but then you are limiting the viewing space.

Feb 4, 2009
That's a very impressive setup, but I doubt it could be done that way for every enclosure in a large zoo. I suppose you could have smaller sections like that and then wall off the rest, but then you are limiting the viewing space.

Animal experts say glass enclosures are cruel. I missed the reason why but I heard that on the news.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Animal experts say glass enclosures are cruel. I missed the reason why but I heard that on the news.

Probably related to people constantly banging on that shit like they're at a hockey game. ;)

But, of course, I am not an expert. I mostly just picked up the poo.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
"But, not so much outrage for the animals killing children in Chicago every day. "

well the OP truly does live up to his name :p

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I find it sad that, in response to obvious tragedy, the impulse is to interpret such an unsettling feeling as a need to assign responsibility rather than a need to understand more about a situation.

Though, that is a minor sadness. One I have mourned for a long while. More a memory of a sadness.

And now I am mourning the sadness that brought me here. The need to explore whether such a wound might lead to productivity. To see if it is possible to bring to the attention of others, not whether their impulse is correct, but rather why it might be important to consider that it is not.

I hope that someone will mourn with me. My father passed away on Tuesday. My mother has advanced Alzheimer's and he was her caregiver. I may continue to post here. Hopefully in humility rather than projecting a fragile power. I have a need for others to feel that I need their guidance, but each passing second erases that need a little more and such will be replaced with mourning.

Hello, Anandtech. I will embrace my demons here in this sanctuary mostly designed to split them away from ourselves. I hope one or two of you might share that with me from time to time.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
all Apes matter.
Trump will solve the problem whatever it seems to be: make great apes great again!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I find it sad that, in response to obvious tragedy, the impulse is to interpret such an unsettling feeling as a need to assign responsibility rather than a need to understand more about a situation.

Though, that is a minor sadness. One I have mourned for a long while. More a memory of a sadness.

And now I am mourning the sadness that brought me here. The need to explore whether such a wound might lead to productivity. To see if it is possible to bring to the attention of others, not whether their impulse is correct, but rather why it might be important to consider that it is not.

I hope that someone will mourn with me. My father passed away on Tuesday. My mother has advanced Alzheimer's and he was her caregiver. I may continue to post here. Hopefully in humility rather than projecting a fragile power. I have a need for others to feel that I need their guidance, but each passing second erases that need a little more and such will be replaced with mourning.

Hello, Anandtech. I will embrace my demons here in this sanctuary mostly designed to split them away from ourselves. I hope one or two of you might share that with me from time to time.

That's basically the scenario of my parents last 12 years. My dad was taking care of my mom who was deep into Alzheimer's and he had a heart attack. She did not call 911 or get anybody to help. Fortunately, a neighbor happened to drop by and called for Emergency Services. We don't know how long my dad was down, but he ended up with brain damage due to lack of oxygen and ended up with what is known as Global Aphasia. He had trouble both speaking and understanding speech. Damn lookup table got scrambled in his brain. He would say the word yesterday meaning today and so on.

They both ended up in the nursing home and my mom continued to live on for at least 12 years. My dad ended up dying about 2 months after my mom passed away.

It's not going to be fun. I feel for you. Good luck.