Gorilla Lives Matter!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, Animal Rights Supporters are having a cow about the death of the Cincinnati Zoo gorilla. But, not so much outrage for the animals killing children in Chicago every day. Soon to be born lives cut short matter even less. Interesting priorities, eh?

Anyway, I place blame at the feet of the parents. When raising my boys 25 years ago, I noticed how so many parents let their kids run wild in stores, restaurants and other public places. God forbid you tell those kids to quiet down or keep their hands off the merchandise! Discipline was simply not part of those parent's vocabulary. Two decades later, it's even worse. No doubt this zoo will be sued, and have to erect huge fences to protect kids from their idiot parents neglectfulness.

This zoo has three foot high fence rails, that have served well for the past 35 years. I don't know about where you live, but here, the railings on balconies etc. are only that same height...

Bah, it's the parent's fault, plain & simple. Lazy idiots!

Feb 4, 2009
I'm not ready to assign blame some things are unavoidable. I don't think its reasonable or healthy for a Parent to hover around their child 24/7 either. I did see this on facebook and i feel compelled to share.

OAoUnIB.jpg

I heard an interesting item from a primate expert, the type that goes into the wild and lives with them. He said its hard to not see a resemblance to a human baby when you see a primates' baby. They show the same curiosity and seem to understand its a baby or child. He also said they can act like Lions and kill the unknown young apes too to protect their lineage. He felt the zoo did the right thing.

Last edited:

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
the most disgusting part about the whole thing is that instead of taking responsibility and apologizing, the mother praised god.

Feb 4, 2009
the most disgusting part about the whole thing is that instead of taking responsibility and apologizing, the mother praised god.

Praising God for your Child being safe from a dangerous situation isn't that disgusting to me.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yet there are metric fuckloads more people being killed, raped, enslaved, and exploited in other parts of the world, are the people of Chicago more important?

Point being, nothing wrong with having a cause. There will always be a more "important" one but if you are passionate about a cause then you should pursue it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
After actually watching/reading the link I can't say that I fault the zoo. It was an emergency situation with a child at risk. They seem to have very legitimate reasons why they couldn't tranq the animal. I agree that the parents have a ton of responsibility in this but that is kind of irrelevant concerning the zoos reaction.

A very unfortunate event, especially considering it is an endangered species.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'd like to see the parents held financially responsible for their kid getting into the enclosure that resulted in the death of the Gorilla.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
OP, that's quite a wide ranging rant for such a short post. The solution is to ban children.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The zoo did the right thing.

but yes its 100% the parents fault that the child got into the cage. This caused the zoo to kill the animal. I would have no issue with the zoo suing the shit out of that family.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I had some nut tell me that the parents should be charged with manslaughter.

The parents should be billed for the replacement cost of the gorilla and all the staff time the zoo spent dealing with the mess created by their child. Also, the cost of the bullet.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Yep, Animal Rights Supporters are having a cow about the death of the Cincinnati Zoo gorilla. But, not so much outrage for the animals killing children in Chicago every day. Soon to be born lives cut short matter even less. Interesting priorities, eh?

Anyway, I place blame at the feet of the parents. When raising my boys 25 years ago, I noticed how so many parents let their kids run wild in stores, restaurants and other public places. God forbid you tell those kids to quiet down or keep their hands off the merchandise! Discipline was simply not part of those parent's vocabulary. Two decades later, it's even worse. No doubt this zoo will be sued, and have to erect huge fences to protect kids from their idiot parents neglectfulness.

This zoo has three foot high fence rails, that have served well for the past 35 years. I don't know about where you live, but here, the railings on balconies etc. are only that same height...

Bah, it's the parent's fault, plain & simple. Lazy idiots!

How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
The parents should be billed for the replacement cost of the gorilla and all the staff time the zoo spent dealing with the mess created by their child. Also, the cost of the bullet.
That would be an interesting legal battle. They'd probably argue that the zoo didn't need to kill the gorilla and acted hastily.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Even the best behaved and most watched children can and do wander away from time to time. Then again, that's generally in situations where the parents let their guard down. I remember the first time we took our little kids to the zoo - I was paranoid and kept an extra vigilant eye on the kids. Ditto Niagara Falls - 3 foot railing, then it's over the side you go. I still remember how tense I was, keeping an eye on the boys. (Actually, I think it's at least 42" at Niagara Falls, but in some areas, no fence at all, just a short rock wall.)

Also, Hello Ornery!

Feb 4, 2009

Won't work and it may backfire. I'm no expert but assume the replacement cost of an endangered animal would be in the hundreds of thousands or maybe million(s). No regular family is going to have that level of assets, it will get into the news that some family lost their home and savings to the zoo then people will be afraid of going to the zoo.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It was the child or the gorilla
"From what we saw [the child] could have been killed at any second," Bruce Davis, who was with Hollifield, told WCPO. "He threw him 10 feet in the air, and I saw him land on his back. It was a mess."

We are not physically capable of winning a contest with a Gorilla. It could be 100 men, they'd all lose to the raw strength and muscle. Humans are very weak for our size. Only our tools make a difference.

Among those tools the zoo keepers had two choices. Tranq + another 5 minutes of an agitated Gorilla further harming the child, or a quick shot to end it. If that was your child in the cage, you'd want the utmost protection. You'd demand they shoot.

In the question of human life VS animal life, when has the precedent not always been to preserve human life first? Is that wrong? Should it not have been applied in this case, why not?

Ultimately it's rather poor design to have an exhibit where a small child easily enters the cage with an animal. The gaping hole in security lead to the Gorilla's death.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nobody paid any attention to the terrible suffering I experienced as a child. Gorillas and the rest of the world can go to hell. Touch me, feel me, see me.......

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Time for all the conservatives that are always complaining about helicopter parents making their children soft and weak to heap all their moral disgust on to these parents for not watching their kid close enough. Let's all pretend that it isn't possible for a kid to do something incredibly dangerous in a span of 10 seconds.