GOP sees Obama as bigger threat than Putin

gryphus

Feb 28, 2015
A third of Republicans believe President Barack Obama poses an imminent threat to the United States, outranking concerns about Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar Assad.

A Reuters/Ipsos online poll this month asked 2,809 Americans to rate how much of a threat a list of countries, organizations and individuals posed to the United States on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being no threat and 5 being an imminent threat.

The poll showed 34 percent of Republicans ranked Obama as an imminent threat, ahead of Putin (25 percent), who has been accused of aggression in the Ukraine, and Assad (23 percent). Western governments have alleged that Assad used chlorine gas and barrel bombs on his own citizens.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102544766

I think that it's all about race! Right! No, really, it has NOTHING to do with the fact that Obama is an incompetent, weak leader, who doesn't real like what America stands for. No, it's gotta be about race!

Feb 6, 2007
To be fair, the President of the United States has a LOT more opportunity to do immense harm to the country than a foreign leader. I mean, unless Putin decides to launch nukes at America, what harm is he really going to do? If you asked the same question in 2002, I guarantee liberals would see Bush as a bigger threat than Saddam.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I saw that, was going to post that, but I figure there are enough examples of Republican stupidity for this week that the point has been made already :)

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Neither Assad nor Putin are imminent threats to the U.S.

Putin is an imminent threat to Eastern Europeans. Assad is an imminent threat to Syrians. But not to American citizens. Poll doesn't surprise me.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102544766

I think that it's all about race! Right! No, really, it has NOTHING to do with the fact that Obama is an incompetent, weak leader, who doesn't real like what America stands for. No, it's gotta be about race!

It's nice that you can identify with the dumbed down Fox addled damaged conservative brain defect gene displayed in the poll. Well done. Enjoying this new account of yours btw...

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Dems see any repub as the biggest threat and vise versa. Move along folks, move along.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Not really sure what is so news worthy about this poll. Putin and especially Assad are little threat to the avg American.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Putin is a threat. but the odds on him doing anything to the US are lower then shorty getting laid. Now Europe should be worried.

So yeah i can understand where the GOP is coming from.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
And American conservatives end Q1'15 with quite the bang.

I'd like to think you've burned yourselves out, but I am pretty sure you all have more in store for this country.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
To be fair, the President of the United States has a LOT more opportunity to do immense harm to the country than a foreign leader. I mean, unless Putin decides to launch nukes at America, what harm is he really going to do? If you asked the same question in 2002, I guarantee liberals would see Bush as a bigger threat than Saddam.

Absolutely correct. Whether the president's policies are harmful or not is up to your own political leanings, but there's zero doubt he makes a much more significant impact on the country than Assad or Putin (unless the latter launches a nuke or something).

Nothing to see here folks, another idiotic post by a troll account.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I believe they are a bigger threat then our own President.

Poll specified "imminent threat to the United States," so as others have pointed out Assad and Putin have little ability to directly threaten the U.S. at this time. They could via proxies (i.e. sponsored terrorism) or creating a regional war that drags the U.S. into it, but there's little risk of a direct action against the U.S. from them.

That being said the only imminent "threat" from Obama is that he implements some political policy the right disagrees with. The world will hardly end if he loosens immigration policy, makes abortion easier, spends more money on social welfare, etc.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I believe they are a bigger threat then our own President.

To be fair, history pretty clearly shows that people in a country are far more likely to be killed/imprisoned/whatever by their own government than by anyone else's government. This isn't necessarily a particularly alarming finding as it's related to why you're more likely to be killed by a family member/boyfriend/girlfriend than other people. Basically you interact with them more so they have more opportunity to do bad things to you.

I think in a practical sense Obama (and every other president that's ever held the office) is in fact a far greater threat to the US than any foreign leader, simply by virtue of the power he holds. Now I doubt many of the people answering the poll were thinking that way (they were most likely thinking WAAAAH OBUMMER) but I can't say it's wrong.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Putin, who is engaging in wars of agression and conquest is the biggest threat to the world.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
What is Bashir al Assad going to do, unfriend Kerry on Facebook?
Kerry has no friends. Not even facebook friends.

Of course Obama is more dangerous. Which guy signed the NDAA? Was it Putin or was it Obama?