GOP pundit: "GOP working class communities deserve to die"

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Why would a business pay a worker if a computer will do something cheaper and/or better?
If those former workers aren't getting paid, how are they going to spend money?
If an average former worker doesn't have money to spend, how much will the GDP crash?

i'm not arguing your point. but if very few are working where is the money to pay them coming from?

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
You should read the article linked a few posts back:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=38108010&postcount=95

Yes, I saw that, but they don't mention that a good many jobs now being considered dead or gone are NOT dead but they have gone ... to China and Mexico. The view of intellectuals in this country is that jobs like manufacturing jobs are dead, but we still buy cars, toasters, TV's and A GROWING NUMBER OF PRODUCTS so the idea that manufacturing is dead is 100% wrong.

What that article is attempting is a kind of wiggling squirming dance away from the reality of what the last few decades have produced and to suggest that all of this was to be expected and that the closed factories and lost jobs has nothing to do with outsourcing or the co-option of both parties that made all this possible. No, this is just what progress is pointing to and it has nothing to do with the consolidation of wealth and power in an ever smaller group of people.

I mentioned in my prior about the absurdity of expecting the wealthy to guarantee a living wage for the very folks they've been pulling the rug out from under. Laughable!

Here's the deal ... as the middle class is depleted and no longer capable of providing more wealth to the wealthy the wealthy will begin to suck dry the upper income folks and continue that cycle until there's only a handful of trillionaires and billions of people living a subsistence living.

Brian

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Or, or...

We clamp down on Government, and stop them now.

There's very little time left.

-John

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
And how will the masses distribute the seized wealth after the uprising? Ah, I'm sure they'll find a way to make it fair. Nobody will have too much wealth, everybody will have all their worldly desires fulfilled. I mean, look at Russia, it worked for them.

I don't think you understand the concept. Basic income means everyone gets a check each month that amounts to a basic living, enough to put a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food in your belly. It's like welfare, but everyone gets it. You want more than that? Go earn it by getting a job. You're confusing basic income with some weird form of mandatory salary per job.

The masses aren't going to fix this, they will destroy things and then there will be rubble and people will start over -- maybe. There is no finessing this -- when the angry have had enough they will exact revenge and then the floor drops out. It's not inconceivable that a more total destruction takes place and the very survival of human kind is put in peril.

If all the jobs are being done by robots and computers then where are the people that want more going to "go earn it by getting a job?" The basic subsistence check is never going to happen ... it is never going to happen.

Brian

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You think their purpose is to "protect the weak"? Let's try an experiment to test this hypothesis then; have some wealthy suburbanite call the police and say some impoverished gang banger was breaking into their house. Then have another "weak" person call and say that a rich white person was in the process of violating their civil rights. Who do you think will get a police unit or two dispatched to help?

WTF is wrong with you? The underlying assumptions behind that scenario are ridiculous.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
His point is that Government is going to help people in Beverly Hills, while hurting the people in Hollywood.

He's right, isn't he?

-John

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Of course one of the purposes of govt is to protect the weak. That's why we have police, fire protection, paramedics & a lot of other stuff. I could go on but I figure you're just being deliberately obtuse.

The idea of government is to protect everyone. The home of a wealthy person can burn down just as easy as a poor person. A wealthy person can be a victim of a crime just as easily as a poor person.

One of the foundations for society is the golden rule, but unless something changed, it does not read "Do unto others as you would have done unto you, unless they're stronger than you, then you can fuck them over."

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The masses aren't going to fix this, they will destroy things and then there will be rubble and people will start over -- maybe. There is no finessing this -- when the angry have had enough they will exact revenge and then the floor drops out. It's not inconceivable that a more total destruction takes place and the very survival of human kind is put in peril.

If all the jobs are being done by robots and computers then where are the people that want more going to "go earn it by getting a job?" The basic subsistence check is never going to happen ... it is never going to happen.

Brian

Then I guess we're fucked. See you on the other side!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Your really on a roll tonight.

Been out partying ?

Nah, I'm not the party type. Just a few beers, but they were session ales, so I didn't even get a buzz. Just in a good mood, so I thought I'd keep it going by mocking my favorite lefties. /hug

Oct 16, 1999
I mentioned in my prior about the absurdity of expecting the wealthy to guarantee a living wage for the very folks they've been pulling the rug out from under. Laughable!

When global socio-economic collapse becomes a greater threat to their wealth and power than higher taxes they'll get on board.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The idea of government is to protect everyone. The home of a wealthy person can burn down just as easy as a poor person. A wealthy person can be a victim of a crime just as easily as a poor person.

One of the foundations for society is the golden rule, but unless something changed, it does not read "Do unto others as you would have done unto you, unless they're stronger than you, then you can fuck them over."

Gawd that's lame. Anybody whose house catches on fire is weak in those circumstances, same with the victims of crime. If a body builder has a heart attack it's the same story.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Here's the deal ... as the middle class is depleted and no longer capable of providing more wealth to the wealthy the wealthy will begin to suck dry the upper income folks and continue that cycle until there's only a handful of trillionaires and billions of people living a subsistence living.
Brian

And neither party will do a thing about it. Most of their campaign funding is coming from powerful corporate interests. At this point, moving manufacturing back would have enormous negative consequences as well. It is quite depressing actually.

Closer to home, my current job is closely tied to the oil/gas industry. The new EPA regulations if they actually do go through will probably kill off my company or result in the complete export of our manufacturing capabilities to China. That is a hundreds of highly paid manufacturing jobs gone for good.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Want to know what the GOP nattering class really thinks of the Trump backers? Want to gauge the depth of their contempt for the GOP working class?

I can't recall an actual article in recent memory that went to town like this one on a given group of people. A panicked, angry conservative writer for the National Review takes the GOP Trump loving working class to task and just scorches the earth.

It's weird to see what passes the GOP intellectual class being willing to burn alive the conservative working class whose backs they have ridden on for decades to get electoral wins, the instant they start questioning GOP orthodoxy. The white working class is finally wising up to the fact that the GOP has taken them for a ride. They know Trump is a joke. They're fully aware he's probably not going to accomplish half the shit he says he's going to do. They know this New York billionaire has little, if anything at all, in common with them. What matters most is Trump's willingness to bury the establishment and piss on its grave.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...vin-williamson

National Review Writer: Working-Class Communities ‘Deserve To Die’
And they say Bernie is the class warrior.... This article simply and honestly states what most of us know: the ruling classes don't care about the rest of the country. They want their 90% of the pie, and screw the bourgeoisie.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Yes, I saw that, but they don't mention that a good many jobs now being considered dead or gone are NOT dead but they have gone ... to China and Mexico. The view of intellectuals in this country is that jobs like manufacturing jobs are dead, but we still buy cars, toasters, TV's and A GROWING NUMBER OF PRODUCTS so the idea that manufacturing is dead is 100% wrong.

What that article is attempting is a kind of wiggling squirming dance away from the reality of what the last few decades have produced and to suggest that all of this was to be expected and that the closed factories and lost jobs has nothing to do with outsourcing or the co-option of both parties that made all this possible. No, this is just what progress is pointing to and it has nothing to do with the consolidation of wealth and power in an ever smaller group of people.

Brian

heres the deal.

The pie isn't fixed. To get richer you don't have to take from anyone.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Then I guess we're fucked. See you on the other side!

Well Bober, if this does happen and it looks like it will then when the shit hits the fan it will be decades, many decades, before the nation pulls itself back up. So, for many it will be the end. And given this problems extends to many parts of the world it's not hard at all to imagine a more apocalyptic outcome given the presence of WMD's in the world.

Our founding fathers predicted this and I don't mean one or two of them. It was pretty well believed by many back then that we'd be back in the shit and need to have another revolution. They hated the power of the time which was the British monarchy but also recognized that other system of power would also lead to tyranny as well. Many of them even expected Democracy itself to be co-opted -- they were right.

We failed when we let a handful of people acquire power and displace the power of the people. In this regard the right is more to blame, but since the early 90's too many of the Dems have gotten on board and extended the power of the few. One did not have to be a rocket scientist to see what would happen, but political blinders made seeing things as they are impossible.

Brian

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Why do Americans have a right to jobs artificially valued over their real market value, when Chinese people will happily take those jobs at what they're really worth?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Why do Americans have a right to jobs artificially valued over their real market value, when Chinese people will happily take those jobs at what they're really worth?

As far as "artificially" goes, we are a free society and we can demand better wages. As for China, Communism is why they take their jobs at their current wages.

As for yourself, it sounds like you want the same thing here.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As far as "artificially" goes, we are a free society and we can demand better wages. As for China, Communism is why they take their jobs at their current wages.

As for yourself, it sounds like you want the same thing here.
You have an infantile understanding of the world.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
You have an infantile understanding of the world.

Am I supposed to care what you think about me? You?! lol! You're just a fool so go ahead and say whatever you want.

I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself.