GOP Politicians banned from Wisconsin Labor Day Parades

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Actually you are wrong...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_history_of_the_United_States

The Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions began in 1881 under the leadership of Samuel Gompers. Like the National Labor Union, it was a federation of different unions and did not directly enroll workers. Its original goals were to encourage the formation of trade unions and to obtain legislation, such as prohibition of child labor, a national eight hour day, and exclusion of foreign contract workers. The Federation made some efforts to obtain favorable legislation, but had little success in organizing or chartering new unions. It came out in support of the proposal, traditionally attributed to Peter J. McGuire of the Carpenters Union, for a national Labor Day holiday on the first Monday in September, and threw itself behind the eight hour movement, which sought to limit the workday by either legislation or union organizing.
In 1886, as the relations between the trade union movement and the Knights of Labor worsened, McGuire and other union leaders called for a convention to be held at Columbus, Ohio on December 8. The Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions merged with the new organization, known as the American Federation of Labor or AFL, formed at that convention.[13]
The AFL was formed in large part because of the dissatisfaction of many trade union leaders with the Knights of Labor, an organization that contained many trade unions and that had played a leading role in some of the largest strikes of the era. The new AFL distinguished itself from the Knights by emphasizing the autonomy of each trade union affiliated with it and limiting membership to workers and organizations made up of workers, unlike the Knights which, because of its producerist focus, welcomed some who were not wage workers.
The AFL grew steadily in the late 19th century while the Knights all but disappeared. Although Gompers at first advocated something like industrial unionism, he retreated from that in the face of opposition from the craft unions that made up most of the AFL.
The unions of the AFL were composed primarily of skilled men; unskilled workers, African-Americans, and women were generally excluded. The AFL saw women as threatening the jobs of men, since they often worked for lower wages. The AFL provided little to no support for women's attempts to unionize.[14]

So you are denying labor unions didnt become big until the 1930s?

I found the bolded rather amusing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Many many moons ago. I was working a lower wage job . On a line. I would do 3 to anyone elses 1 . Raises came up . and I brought up the fact that I did 2x as anyone else on the line. They quickly pointed out to me that the amount of work each person can do is dependent on that person . Even tho they are making the same effort as me . and I would recieve the exact same raise as others. I said OH really. The next week I cut back to matching everyone else . Management was all over me . As they had to add 2 more people to the line. They asked whats going on. I replied. Since last week a got older and wiser . They said I was standing around . I replied I am doing the exact same amount of work as everyone else on my line . They told me if I stood around I was fired . So I copied the way the others were working staying busy making unneccesary moves . They called me in on the rug again . Complaining I changed how I was working . I asked if I was doing anything differant than others . They said no . But your not doing the same amount of work you were doing . I replied I am staying busy all the time. They replied were going to have to let you go as we believe your sluffing off. I said fine gave them some words that I use only in person which is unpleasant. Said I wish you and your lazy employees the worst of luck . As it turned out my wish was fulfilled 1 month later. I had the last laugh.
Was this a union job? "Cause otherwise it's just a bad management decision.

Sounds good.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So you are denying labor unions didnt become big until the 1930s?

I found the bolded rather amusing.

No I am denying that they had nothing to do with child labor laws until the '30's. My life is now complete that the bolded section amused you. You must be rusty on your basic American history and Women's suffrage history.

Last edited:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Read the links that have already been posted...and YES, Labor Day was originally created to recognize UNION labor.
I thought I admitted that fact, if not my mistake.

But the point I was making is that labor day is a celebration of ALL workers not just union workers.

This petty political move by the unions was stupid and un-American.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This petty political move by the unions was stupid and un-American.

Actually, the petty political moves by Wisconsin Repubs were stupid & un-American.

Repubs are trying to finish off Unions once and for all, so that means Unions should invite Repubs to participate in their parade, right? Yeh, right after they pull the knife out of their backs...

Repubs will deal with the rest of the wage slave suckas more, uhh, "efficiently" if they can stomp Unions flat- they don't have to lift their boot as high to stomp individual workers, obviously...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Actually, the petty political moves by Wisconsin Repubs were stupid & un-American.

Repubs are trying to finish off Unions once and for all, so that means Unions should invite Repubs to participate in their parade, right? Yeh, right after they pull the knife out of their backs...

Repubs will deal with the rest of the wage slave suckas more, uhh, "efficiently" if they can stomp Unions flat- they don't have to lift their boot as high to stomp individual workers, obviously...
It is NOT 'their' parade.

It is a parade paid for by the tax payers which makes it the tax payers parade.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
RNC headquarters is your location now, PJ? I had no idea you were such a wholesale sell-out.

Membership in any political party is a sign of weakness, and an invitation to be taken advantage of.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is NOT 'their' parade.

It is a parade paid for by the tax payers which makes it the tax payers parade.

It's only paid for by taxpayers in the sense that the cops block off the route. Other than that, it costs the taxpayers nothing.

It's OK with me if Repubs want to show their hypocrisy, smile & wave in the parade, return to their usual machinations immediately thereafter. It's good for people to see it all, have that hypocrisy slap 'em right up the side of the face...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just like a liberal, deciding what's "good for people." :rolleyes:

That's all you've got- deflection into your fantasy of "Liberals"?

Wisconsin Repubs seem to think it's good for people to see 'em in the parade, too- otherwise they wouldn't care, right?

Governor Walker & cronies, demonstrating "solidarity" with working people- I think it's great, I really do.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The GOP in Wisconsin have declared war against the rights of working people in the State of Wisconsin.

So why should the GOP have the right to pretend to walk with Wisconsin workers on labor day when they have demonstrated and proved otherwise.

After than, the GOP can wah wah wah their boat gentle down the stream, as they discover there are far few fewer Koch brother votes than those in Wisconsin working men and women.

And that the big election upcoming is getting rid of Scott Walker and Wisconsin class warfare.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
That's all you've got- deflection into your fantasy of "Liberals"?

My fantasy of "liberals" involves this:
gma04.jpg

telling me that "health care is a universal right," "unions work for the good of every worker," and "we need to scale down our defense budget and invest in America."

To which I reply, "God, I want to kiss you on the mouth to stop you from saying such ridiculous things."