GOP Debate February 6th

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
According to this, grants and scholarships account for only 31% as a funding source.

http://news.salliemae.com/files/doc_library/file/HowAmericaPaysforCollege2014FNL.pdf

That includes all school, from poorly funded public ones to extremely overpriced private ones. In-state tuition at a high-tier public university is more subsidized. I can see the social merit in supporting smart and motivated kids through higher education, but not every student. And even if that wasn't the case, 31% is a pretty huge chunk.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Rubio got destroyed, Rand is out so that leaves Trump or Cruz to take on Hillary. Just like 2012 I hope the Republican Party burns to the ground and they finally realize their evangelical base is killing them.

Bring back Goldwater era conservatism and they "might" be able to win a national election again. Or better yet imbrace a more libertarian stance on more issues like gay rights, minimum sentencing reform, drug law reform, sane foreign policy, etc.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Rubio got destroyed, Rand is out so that leaves Trump or Cruz to take on Hillary. Just like 2012 I hope the Republican Party burns to the ground and they finally realize their evangelical base is killing them.

Bring back Goldwater era conservatism and they "might" be able to win a national election again. Or better yet imbrace a more libertarian stance on more issues like gay rights, minimum sentencing reform, drug law reform, sane foreign policy, etc.
The problem is the religious wing can't give it up. Even if it is 100% going to shoot them in the dick, they just can't get past it. Look at Cruz, iowa, ethanol. They will literally kill themselves before they vote any differently.

The need to wake the fuck up and stop with this social conservative insanity.

Nov 30, 2006
The problem is the religious wing can't give it up. Even if it is 100% going to shoot them in the dick, they just can't get past it. Look at Cruz, iowa, ethanol. They will literally kill themselves before they vote any differently.

The need to wake the fuck up and stop with this social conservative insanity.
Just what are these social conservatives going to do that makes you so afraid of them?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Just what are these social conservatives going to do that makes you so afraid of them?
I really don't care either way. Don't care for a lot of the in-your-face social agenda sjw bs either, but over time they are going to have to accept that it is no longer a priority. They can either accept that or lose elections because the way you win is not to appeal to old crusty social conservatives. Especially with demographics working against them.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You assume Hillary will be anointed queen. I hope the Democrats aren't stupid enough to do that, but they probably will. Then I'd love to watch the Democrat party tear itself apart as well. Watching the two parties self destruct could prove very entertaining.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
You assume Hillary will be anointed queen. I hope the Democrats aren't stupid enough to do that, but they probably will. Then I'd love to watch the Democrat party tear itself apart as well. Watching the two parties self destruct could prove very entertaining.

Just like Ron Paul in 2008/2012 Bernie won't win unless he has the parties support which won't happen.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just like Ron Paul in 2008/2012 Bernie won't win unless he has the parties support which won't happen.

Ron Paul didn't pull half of the vote in Iowa. At his best he was running 10% in the primaries. Republicans love their wars, and Paul wasn't as interested in bombing Iran as McCain was.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Meh. Clinton won't fracture the party. There are a lot of active Democrats who aren't enthused about Clinton, but few who hate her. I think their real problem will be reduced turnout and a lack of cross-over voters if Clinton is nominated. That will cost the Dems seats in Congress and at the state level, and might even cost them POTUS.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
Meh. Clinton won't fracture the party. There are a lot of active Democrats who aren't enthused about Clinton, but few who hate her. I think their real problem will be reduced turnout and a lack of cross-over voters if Clinton is nominated. That will cost the Dems seats in Congress and at the state level, and might even cost them POTUS.

Unless you can substantiate your opinion, I disagree rather harshly. Every single democrat I know, with the sole exception of the single-digit IQ "it's a vagina's turn" crowd, despise Hillary with a vehemence I've never seen before in my lifetime.

I have a feeling you've got blinders on, or are paid to say otherwise. Nothing else really makes sense.

Regardless, none of this truly matters - even if Hillary gets the nomination, Sanders will likely run (and win) as an independent.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Unless you can substantiate your opinion, I disagree rather harshly. Every single democrat I know, with the sole exception of the single-digit IQ "it's a vagina's turn" crowd, despise Hillary with a vehemence I've never seen before in my lifetime.

I have a feeling you've got blinders on, or are paid to say otherwise. Nothing else really makes sense.

You could of course just check the polling numbers and see that he's right. While this is from December, this is the most recent net favorable numbers for Clinton and Sanders among Democrats that I could find: (other polls didn't do crosstabs that way)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/187496/clinton-democratic-image-advantage-sanders-expands.aspx

She had a net positive of +58 among Democrats, actually higher than Sanders.

With that in mind, it sounds like you might be in a bit of a bubble as to what Democrats think, especially with your description of people who support Clinton as 'single digit IQ' people. You seem pretty out of the loop?

Regardless, none of this truly matters - even if Hillary gets the nomination, Sanders will likely run (and win) as an independent.

I find it highly, highly unlikely that Sanders will run as an independent if/when he loses, and I find it an order of magnitude less likely that he will win if he does so. If you actually believe this I'm willing to take bets with you at very favorable odds. (VERY FAVORABLE!)

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
I find it highly, highly unlikely that Sanders will run as an independent if/when he loses, and I find it an order of magnitude less likely that he will win if he does so. If you actually believe this I'm willing to take bets with you at very favorable odds. (VERY FAVORABLE!)

Fair enough. What's your $$ amount, and what escrow can we use? I'm willing to lose money to you if you're right, I certainly don't know 100% either way.

I've already got $500 sunk into Clinton not being the next president on PredictIt, since I consider the $400 that will make me to just be good old 30 year scotch money, I'll shoot for the moon on H&B money, too.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
This seemed fitting

LPXiRrV.png

:hmm:

https://newrepublic.com/article/86030/marco-rubio-secretly-robot

Oh my god, Rubio IS a robot!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fair enough. What's your $$ amount, and what escrow can we use? I'm willing to lose money to you if you're right, I certainly don't know 100% either way.

Well nobody knows 100%, but it's all about what's likely. Sanders isn't likely to win the Democratic nomination as it is, but him winning the election as an independent is incredibly unlikely. I don't think he would win the general election as the Democratic nominee, but if he runs as an independent that means splitting the left leaning vote, which basically guarantees a Republican victory.

Let me see what options are available, but I'd give you 2-1 on running as an independent and 10-1 on him winning if he does run as an independent. (your bet would be $100 for each, because there's a limit to how much I'm willing to wager even on extraordinarily unlikely events)

I've already got $500 sunk into Clinton not being the next president on PredictIt, since I consider the $400 that will make me to just be good old 30 year scotch money, I'll shoot for the moon on H&B money, too.

I can say for my part I wouldn't place any bets on who will win the 2016 election, it's too far out to have a strong idea. Counting Hillary's loss as sure money is a foolish thing to do, so don't bet with money you can't afford to lose on top of your Hillary bet, haha.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
I can say for my part I wouldn't place any bets on who will win the 2016 election, it's too far out to have a strong idea. Counting Hillary's loss as sure money is a foolish thing to do, so don't bet with money you can't afford to lose on top of your Hillary bet, haha.

I never bet money I'm not willing to lose. Seems self-destructive.

If you feel strongly, get back to me. I'll go $1,000 outright that he'll win the nomination, pick your odds. Easy money for you if you're right and are willing to exceed your $100 limit.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Eskimospy has already covered it well, but FWIW I agree with him. Your anecdotal observations about Clinton hatred contradict the actual data. I also don't see any chance of Sanders running as an independent. Trump, yes, but not Sanders.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I never bet money I'm not willing to lose. Seems self-destructive.

If you feel strongly, get back to me. I'll go $1,000 outright that he'll win the nomination, pick your odds. Easy money for you if you're right and are willing to exceed your $100 limit.

I'm pretty confident that I'm right but there is a limit to the amount of money I'm willing to lose on things like this. $100 is a decent amount of money, so take it or leave it. This is mostly an exercise to make people confront the extreme improbability of the predictions they make.

By the way if you're really looking to wager more money on this PredictIt is offering even more favorable odds than I am right now at over 3-1 against Sanders winning the nomination. They don't have any odds on him winning the election as an independent, but if you actually believe that he would win I imagine you could make hundreds of thousands or millions if he actually won because people are going to give that truly moon-shot odds.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
I'm pretty confident that I'm right but there is a limit to the amount of money I'm willing to lose on things like this. $100 is a decent amount of money, so take it or leave it.

By the way if you're really looking to wager more money on this PredictIt is offering even more favorable odds than I am right now at over 3-1 against Sanders winning the nomination. They don't have any odds on him winning the election as an independent, but if you actually believe that he would win I imagine you could make hundreds of thousands or millions if he actually won because people are going to give that truly moon-shot odds.

$100 it is, I'm in.

Thanks for the tip on PredictIt.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I think the only chance of Bernie winning as independent is if both Trump and Bernie run as independents. So I see a chance of this happening, but it is mighty slim and depends on a lot of things forming the perfect storm.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
$100 it is, I'm in.

Thanks for the tip on PredictIt.

I look forward to revisiting this thread and seeing you not pay up. While I like Bernie alot, it would seem alot of his supporters have become rather irrational in their exuberance towards the man. If I could simply choose the next president, I very well might take Bernie over Hillary, but in the face of the reckless field of Republican candidates, and the current Republican majorities in the house and senate, electability is my chief concern over ideological purity, and Hillary gives the democrats the best chance of winning.

Virge_

Aug 6, 2013
I look forward to revisiting this thread and seeing you not pay up. While I like Bernie alot, it would seem alot of his supporters have become rather irrational in their exuberance towards the man. If I could simply choose the next president, I very well might take Bernie over Hillary, but in the face of the reckless field of Republican candidates, and the current Republican majorities in the house and senate, electability is my chief concern over ideological purity, and Hillary gives the democrats the best chance of winning.

Curious, do you not understand how escrow works? It would be pretty hard for me to not "pay up" when a third party ensures the bet..

I do not just post hollow nonsense. When a previous poster asked me to put my money where my mouth is, I did this:

odVez1E.png

Last edited:

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Curious, do you not understand how escrow works? It would be pretty hard for me to not "pay up" when a third party ensures the bet..

I do not just post hollow nonsense. When a previous poster asked me to put my money where my mouth is, I did this:

odVez1E.png

My apologies. I am not familiar with this platform. If you did indeed put up the money then good on you, though I firmly believe you made a very foolish bet.