GOP betrays innocent fetuses on Roe v. Wade anniversary

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
A couple of things I learned to day that make this fuss a head scratcher:

1. The House already passed this in 2013. Harry Reid filibu... uh, sat on it in the Senate.

2. We're one of the very few countries that DON'T have time limits on abortion. Almost every other developed country outlaws late term abortions (subject to some exceptions such as the mother's health). Here's a list: http://www.pewforum.org/2008/09/30/abortion-laws-around-the-world/#westerneurope

With ample help from the media the GOP shoots itself in the foot.

Fern

Did you include state laws in your lie or are you just uninformed?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A couple of things I learned to day that make this fuss a head scratcher:

1. The House already passed this in 2013. Harry Reid filibu... uh, sat on it in the Senate.

2. We're one of the very few countries that DON'T have time limits on abortion. Almost every other developed country outlaws late term abortions (subject to some exceptions such as the mother's health). Here's a list: http://www.pewforum.org/2008/09/30/abortion-laws-around-the-world/#westerneurope

With ample help from the media the GOP shoots itself in the foot.

Fern

And, uhh, so what? Isn't this supposed to be the bastion of personal freedom?

You know, for both sexes.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
And, uhh, so what? Isn't this supposed to be the bastion of personal freedom?

You know, for both sexes.

The answer to your question lies in why other Western/developed countries have time limits on abortions.

If you're truly interested you'll be able to work it out.

Fern

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The answer to your question lies in why other Western/developed countries have time limits on abortions.

Fern
Not without his head exploding.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Fern

Heh. I already worked it out. It's because those countries restrict women's rights over their bodies, thus denying true equality. Meanwhile, men can legally obtain any elective medical procedure they can pay for.

"Why" really doesn't matter past that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Heh. I already worked it out. It's because those countries restrict women's rights over their bodies, thus denying true equality. Meanwhile, men can legally obtain any elective medical procedure they can pay for.

"Why" really doesn't matter past that.
Individual sovereignty is not really a recognized legal concept in constitutional monarchies.

Oct 30, 2004
It would be awesome if the Republicans made a big issue out of abortion (and as an ancillary issue, rape). Go ahead! Do it! Lol! In the recent past the Republicans have quietly attempted to "scrub the stupid", but I say restore the stupid!

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You stated that the US doesn't have limits on late term abortions and that's a lie.

Those limits are state specific and many states have no limit, also there are no limits to late term abortions when it comes to mental health, such as depression. Anyone can fake depression and get an abortion anytime they want.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Those limits are state specific and many states have no limit, also there are no limits to late term abortions when it comes to mental health, such as depression. Anyone can fake depression and get an abortion anytime they want.

If that were true, there would be a lot more late term abortions than there are.

And it's not like anybody can get an abortion any time they want, anyway, not with red state legislatures shutting down every clinic they possibly can-

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/mississippis-last-abortion-clinic-stay-open-now

It's a dishonest game, of course. It always is. The women in America's wealthiest families just pop off for an unexpected European vacation & have for decades.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Apparently they're not. Fetal Homicide laws.

In practicality, rights are granted to unborn humans on the whim of their mother.

How about you address the point, which was that a child at 20 weeks gestation is clearly a human being?

Not viable. Talk to the Supreme Court and/or medical technology if you can't deal with that.

Better yet, convince every person alive to only have 100% effective protected sex, to never rape, never practice incest and to always under every possible circumstance want to care for and nurture any child produced by the act of fornication.

In other words, make it a perfect world as regards sex and pregnancy.

Be sure and send us a post card when you've accomplished that apparently easy task.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Because the SCOTUS says it does in their decision Roe v Wade.

Contrary to what you usually see, RvW was largely about balancing the rights of the mother and those of the fetus.

The SCOTUS drew the line at "viability". I.e., once the point of viability is reached the mother does not have a 'right' to an abortion.

Fern

That's not roe v wade, that's planned parenthood v Casey. Die v wade drew the line at third trimester, planned parenthood v Casey drew the line at technological viability.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm not going to go back and read RvW again, too long and I'm too lazy. But Wiki seems to support my recollection:

The Roe decision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks.

If I understand correctly, 28 weeks is at the third trimester.

I'm not familiar with Planned Parenthood v Casey but do see that they rejected the third trimester framework.

I suppose I don't understand what distinction they are trying to make here.

Fern

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
That's not roe v wade, that's planned parenthood v Casey. Die v wade drew the line at third trimester, planned parenthood v Casey drew the line at technological viability.

1. Many states have no laws against abortion at any stage of pregnancy. A woman could get an abortion at 40 weeks for the hell of it, if she wants.

2. The court ruled that even with restrictions at viability, their must exemptions, such as depression. If a woman claims having the child will increase her depression she has a right to abort the child at any stage of pregnancy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
1. Many states have no laws against abortion at any stage of pregnancy. A woman could get an abortion at 40 weeks for the hell of it, if she wants.
2. The court ruled that even with restrictions at viability, their must exemptions, such as depression. If a woman claims having the child will increase her depression she has a right to abort the child at any stage of pregnancy.

Many states? Bullshit! 42 states have late term abortion bans/restrictions. Only 8 don't.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/heal...abortion-restrictions-state-by-state-20150121

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States_by_state

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Nov 25, 2013
Yet convenient as apologism.

"Yeh, it's banned, but anybody can easily get around that."

It also serves the double purpose of attacking abortion and dismissing the issues of mental health. It's both remarkably callous and incredibly ignorant.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Doesn't you link still show all states allow late term abortions for mental health reason, such as depression. Anyone can fake a mental illness, depression is easy to fake,

Unfortunately many in this forum probably aren't faking a mental illness...

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Sad. We might've gotten one step closer to decency.

20 weeks.

pregnant-lady-wk-20-closeup.jpg

Clearly that's not a human being.

Clearly it's a very lousy illustration.

Vagina on right leg.

Man hands FTL.

Did you draw that all by yourself?

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Doesn't you link still show all states allow late term abortions for mental health reason, such as depression. Anyone can fake a mental illness, depression is easy to fake,

Yes, psychiatrists and mental health professionals are so easily fooled.