Google TOO WHITE?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Linked article title:

And unless they are planning to fire a bunch of Asian people. Seems pretty clear they will have to reduce the balance of white people in order to increase the number of blacks and hispanics. In other words, they think they have to many white people.
That seems to be a paraphrase. See how that part is not in quotes?

EDIT: After following the link to the actual post by the "HR boss" he never said Google is too white. Just more dishonesty from nehalem as usual.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Yes. In fact I just hired one about a month ago. Why do you ask?

Because if you had extensive experience interviewing and hiring candidates for teams (I do), you would know that some of the most important factors are, in fact, subjective. You need to be able to judge how well you think a candidate will integrate with your existing team and if the candidate has the right mix of interpersonal skills. I've seen hits and misses over my career and all the misses were due to people not properly vetting a candidate's interpersonal skills correctly.

Additionally, in my field, I can tell you that over the course of my 20+ year career, we have had very few minorities even apply and with only a couple of exceptions, there were better candidates who were white males.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because if you had extensive experience interviewing and hiring candidates for teams (I do), you would know that some of the most important factors are, in fact, subjective. You need to be able to judge how well you think a candidate will integrate with your existing team and if the candidate has the right mix of interpersonal skills. I've seen hits and misses over my career and all the misses were due to people not properly vetting a candidate's interpersonal skills correctly.

Additionally, in my field, I can tell you that over the course of my 20+ year career, we have had very few minorities even apply and with only a couple of exceptions, there were better candidates who were white males.

I agree with all of those things. That doesn't mean that every subjective thing someone takes into account is predictive of success.

There's a lot of research into this that shows people don't always act rationally while hiring.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I love how the media completely ignores the Asians. Or they'll talk about how it's 60% White, 1% Black for the whole article, and then somewhere at the end mention it's 30% Asian.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
I never understood the fascination with forcing diversity for the sake of diversity. Hire who is the best fit for your company.

That would be racist. You don't want to be a racist, do you? Even suggesting that makes you racist.....you RACIST!

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
posting in a nehlam thread...that amazingly enough doesn't seem to be about toasters but is still just as logically flawed as the rest of his posts.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I don't know but to me a headline of Google TOO ASIAN seems like it would generate more clicks. Not too mention being more accurate.

Way to ignore the fact that it was not a quote from a Google employee, which was the main point I was making. :rolleyes:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When you expect your people to have a college degree, what do you expect? So how many people had an h1b visa? The reason why colleges don't turn out more technology graduates is no one will hire them. Corporations purposely go for foreigners that make less money. Then we complain that American schools are a failure. Who is going to school for a job that does not exist?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Way to ignore the fact that it was not a quote from a Google employee, which was the main point I was making. :rolleyes:

I didn't ignore the fact. I just considered it irrelevant since I consider the issue to be about more than Google. Why do you think Google gives a shit about the race/gender of its employees?

Because of left-wing activists looking for problems where non exist.

Hey lets look at another article on the subject:

As the U.S. technology sector has boomed, women and minorities have largely been left behind. That is especially true for one familiar tech giant, Google, which, along with other Silicon Valley companies, has increasingly been pressured to disclose its record on diversity.

RELATED LINKS
The Immigrant Brain Drain: How America Is Losing Its High-Tech Talent
Google Asks Approval to Offer More Transparency About Role in PRISM Program

Silicon Valley Discriminates Against Women, Even If They’re Better
In a new internal report released tonight exclusively to the NewsHour, the company reveals, although 30 percent of Google’s total global work force is comprised of women, only 17 percent of the workers who hold tech jobs are female.

The numbers are even more stark among minorities working in the United States. Latinos make up just 2 percent of the tech work force, African-Americans 1 percent. Asians are more fully represented, comprising about 34 percent.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/googles-diversity-record-shows-women-minorities-left-behind/

So apparently minorities(meaning not-white) being fairly represented as a % of employees is being left behind.

And Asians being represented at a rate almost 7 times their population representation is "more fully represented".

So lets think here. If Asians are "almost" represented highly enough and blacks and hispanics are far underrepresented then what does that say about the number of whites?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I was quoting the article headline.

Indeed. See that now. Interesting that the article headline has "says HR boss" yet they don't include that quote.

You still go on to say that diversity is code word for discriminating against whites. Which the facts of the article doesn't support. Only the headline supports that.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't ignore the fact. I just considered it irrelevant since I consider the issue to be about more than Google. Why do you think Google gives a shit about the race/gender of its employees?

Because of left-wing activists looking for problems where non exist.

Hey lets look at another article on the subject:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/googles-diversity-record-shows-women-minorities-left-behind/

So apparently minorities(meaning not-white) being fairly represented as a % of employees is being left behind.

And Asians being represented at a rate almost 7 times their population representation is "more fully represented".

So lets think here. If Asians are "almost" represented highly enough and blacks and hispanics are far underrepresented then what does that say about the number of whites?
Once again, you are taking the reporter's words.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I didn't ignore the fact. I just considered it irrelevant since I consider the issue to be about more than Google.

I know it's hard for you to keep track of all the crap you spew around here, but you posted this in this thread:

dank69 said:
"Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity" is not the same as "too white."

Linked article title:

Google TOO WHITE and MALE, says HR boss, looking in mirror

And unless they are planning to fire a bunch of Asian people. Seems pretty clear they will have to reduce the balance of white people in order to increase the number of blacks and hispanics. In other words, they think they have to many white people.

You attempted to pass the article title off as a direct quote, and got called out on it.

Just be a man admit you were wrong...

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So you are acknowledging that the article headline is misleading but you needed us to point it out to you since you couldn't figure it out on your own?

Once again, you are taking the reporter's words.

And?

That is basically my point. Reporters reporting the correct # of whites working at google as TOO MUCH.

And 7x times the "correct" number of Asians as "more fully represented"

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
When a place has to create a quota for minorities (and women), it's usually at the expense of something else. Sure, they might not fire/lay off white males. But they will create an incentive for minorities and women to apply. Hiring bonuses, etc.

In my department at work (in which I do the hiring, but I do not negotiate wages, I just determine who's the best fit for the job). I had a white male and a white woman in the last round. The company offered her a position for $55k a year. The white male was offered $45k a year, and when he said he wanted $55k, the company said "no way" to $55k a year. They offered her more because she was a woman. The white male had less opportunity and was eventually hired for $45k a year because the woman declined the $55k a year offer.

Strange how things work.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I know it's hard for you to keep track of all the crap you spew around here, but you posted this in this thread:

You attempted to pass the article title off as a direct quote, and got called out on it.

Just be a man admit you were wrong...

I never said the article title was a quote from a Google representative.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I never said the article title was a quote from a Google representative.

The post from you shows a clear implication that the quote came from Google.

Admit you were wrong.

(I know you have a character flaw that precludes you from doing so, however :whiste:)

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The post from you shows a clear implication that the quote came from Google.

Admit you were wrong.

(I know you have a character flaw that precludes you from doing so, however :whiste:)

Actually it would appear to be Google that implied it. Leading the reporter to use the headline.

I just copied the headline and commented how stupid it was.