Google TOO WHITE?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Actually it would appear to be Google that implied it. Leading the reporter to use the headline.

I just copied the headline and commented how stupid it was.

"Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity"

Is what they said. You and the author of the article are inferring things based on your own preconceptions and prejudices.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
"Google is not where we want to be when it comes to diversity"

Is what they said. You and the author of the article are inferring things based on your own preconceptions and prejudices.

What is your point?

My commentary was not restricted to the words coming out of Google's mouth.

But also included things said by others based on the Google report. See for example the PBS article and the OP article.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
As I've mentioned several times, my point is that you were wrong to imply that the line was a direct quote from someone at Google.

Twist and divert all you want, you were wrong.

I never implied it was a direct quote.

Do you see any quotation marks?

It isn't my fault you don't understand basic English punctuation.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

You are the one who said the numbers were published to make a social commentary:
They didn't notice a lack and strive to correct it.

They made the numbers public to make a social commententary. And a rather stupid one at that given the actual facts.

You are the one who is saying the social commentary is that Google is too white by stating that "diversity" is a dog whistle for anti-white racism:
That would seem to be the logical comparison to make.

But my point is that even using the retarded comparison that lefties want to make for diversity their isn't TOO MANY white people. There is actually basically the "proper" amount.

And yet they are still screaming that there are too many.

If the correct proportional amount of white people is still too many it seems like a pretty clear admission that diversity is a dog whistle for anti-white racism.

When I pointed out that the two statements were not equal, you replied by quoting the title of the article. What was the point of doing that?

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You are the one who said the numbers were published to make a social commentary:

Well its actually what Google said:
Google admitted, "We've always been reluctant to publish numbers about the diversity of our workforce at Google. We now realize we were wrong, and that it's time to be candid about the issues."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...eavy-staff-underlines-techs-diversity-problem

Now that is a direct quote. Notice the quotation marks.

You are the one who is saying the social commentary is that Google is too white by stating that "diversity" is a dog whistle for anti-white racism:

You appear to be confusing my commentary with what Google said. I am not Google.

When I pointed out that the two statements were not equal, you replied by quoting the title of the article. What was the point of doing that?

Obviously a statement by me is not a statement by Google.

And while we are here lets look at the NPR article some more.
All the talk about meritocracy in tech is confounding when you hold it up against this data; if the technology industry is truly a meritocracy, does it follow that the people with merit are overwhelmingly white and male?

So apparently having slightly below a proportion representation of white people in your workforce is "overwhelmingly white".

So once again it seems pretty clear that the people pushing for diversity(ie the liberal activists, NOT google who is simply giving into their demands) really just want less white people.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Outrage not found. Most engineers and science professionals are white males. After that comes asian. There really aren't that many women, nor ethnics (other than asian). It's just how culture has been dictated thus far in society. It's not Google's fault.

My graduating electrical engineering class was around 80 kids. Four women, and maybe a handful of asians. Rest were sausage toting crackers.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
White people are 75% of the general population and 61% of Google, so that isn't too far off. If anything, they're too Asian.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well its actually what Google said:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...eavy-staff-underlines-techs-diversity-problem

Now that is a direct quote. Notice the quotation marks.
"Being candid" is not the same as "making a social commentary."

You appear to be confusing my commentary with what Google said. I am not Google.
I am not confusing anything, I quoted exactly what you wrote.

Obviously a statement by me is not a statement by Google.
So the point you were trying to make by quoting the title was that it wasn't your statement? I hadn't claimed that it was your statement.

And while we are here lets look at the NPR article some more.

So apparently having slightly below a proportion representation of white people in your workforce is "overwhelmingly white".

So once again it seems pretty clear that the people pushing for diversity(ie the liberal activists, NOT google who is simply giving into their demands) really just want less white people.
Pretty sure that last quote is not meant to be read as there are too many white people but rather that there are too many white males, considering the quote that follows:
But there are other ways to think about the utter dominance of white males in tech:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty sure that last quote is not meant to be read as there are too many white people but rather that there are too many white males, considering the quote that follows:

Except the issue is really that there isn't the "correct" amount of men. There is the "correct" about of white of people.

So there is no reason to add white unless you also think there are too many white people in tech. Of course as I have shown such a belief is absurd.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
White people are 75% of the general population and 61% of Google, so that isn't too far off. If anything, they're too Asian.

According to wiki, white people are 69% of the US as of 2000. However, that is considering roughly 50% are women and 50% are male. So really, only 35% are white males. So they are about 2 times higher than the US average.

Hilariously though, Asians counted for roughly 3.6% of the US, but are 30% of Google. If anything this article should be about that Yellow Fever Google has.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
According to wiki, white people are 69% of the US as of 2000. However, that is considering roughly 50% are women and 50% are male. So really, only 35% are white males. So they are about 2 times higher than the US average.

Hilariously though, Asians counted for roughly 3.6% of the US, but are 30% of Google. If anything this article should be about that Yellow Fever Google has.

You can't really look at total population statistic. You have to narrow it down to working age (say 18-65).

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Should employment be like an investment portfolio that requires re-balancing from time to time? Using the criteria of race, gender, sexual orientation and ethnicity and any others I may have overlooked should the percentages match those of the United States or of the world?

Should hiring and firing be done yearly? Every two years, every five? At what frequency should it be done to match the makeup of the planet?

I just don't see how anything of this sort could go too far when diversity is so paramount to our very existence on Earth.

Nov 25, 2013
I find it more than a little amusing that some little internet troll who appears to have some serious hangups with women is seriously telling the world that he knows better than the company that, in 2012, hit 50 billion in revenue roughly 15 years after start up .

Yeah, little guy, you tell us how you know how to run that company better than those in charge.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

im·ply verb \im-ˈplī\
: to express (something) in an indirect way : to suggest (something) without saying or showing it plainly

Had there been quotation marks, it wouldn't have been implied...

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
I love how the media completely ignores the Asians. Or they'll talk about how it's 60% White, 1% Black for the whole article, and then somewhere at the end mention it's 30% Asian.

:thumb:

The executives page seems pretty balanced to me - women, black, Asian, Jewish, white.

Source

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I don't understand the point of a "diversity report". If you hire the most qualified candidate, who gives a shit 61% of them happen to be white?

this is what pisses me off. hire qualified people - i don't care if they're blue, black, pink, purple yellow, fuscia, magenta, or whatever color.

just because the US population is distributed a certain way does not mean that every business or organization has to maintain that same distribution. as random as the world is, it is not entirely random (which is where you would expect that to happen - with all things being random)

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Who said it was white people's fault?

Google noticed a lack of women and minorities (aside from Asian), and are striving to correct it (as is their prerogative).

There's nothing to correct if the people they have hired are qualified to perform the positions they hold. Hiring minorities just to hire minorities is fucking stupid.

The whole diversity for the sake of diversity is anti-progress. (anti-progress, not "progressive", it is very "progressive") No one is worrying about the fucking NBA being racially proportionate.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
There's nothing to correct if the people they have hired are qualified to perform the positions they hold. Hiring minorities just to hire minorities is fucking stupid.

The whole diversity for the sake of diversity is anti-progress. (anti-progress, not "progressive", it is very "progressive") No one is worrying about the fucking NBA being racially proportionate.

As a business, if they want to focus on diversity, who are you or I to tell them differently? I'm going to trust them in their judgement. They're a hell of a lot more successful than anyone arguing in this thread.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that Google never discussed hiring or firing. They did discuss employee resource groups and inclusive policies at Google as well as programs and grants aimed at increasing interest in students in the underrepresented groups.

People need to stop debating things they haven't read up on...

http://www.google.com/diversity