Google. Really? Another one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't understand the focus on SMS here. I'm sure I must be missing something.

I think my problem is mainly that its inferior to messaging apps that we already have. It's pretty much identical to iMessage in that it falls back to SMSs if the recipiant client doesn't support RCS, and encryption wise it's better than SMS but worse than most others.

The article clearly states (heck, right in the byline) that Google is working on a successor to SMS, and getting carriers on board with it even. Even a standard (Chat) that Google won't own, that everyone could use, which is exactly what messaging should be. Nothing at all about just another chat app using SMS.

AFAIK chat is the Google app, RCS is the protocol. Chat will be able to send and receive RCS messages but it wont be the only app that can. Think of it like now, theres lots of apps that can send SMS but they all send the same type of message.
The actual standard has been around for about a decade and a bunch of operators have been using it for ages.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
You cant say that you dont use Whatapp because you think that it's not secure and in the same post say that you use SMS!
I use SMS because nothing of import is spoken over text or calls. WhatsApp is owned by facebook, and I don't put any important information on facebook either.

Telegram is about the only one i would trust, if i needed secure communication, because it's open source and the Russians are trying to kill it.

AFAIK chat is the Google app, RCS is the protocol.
Chat is the branding for the RCS protocol. Android Messages is the app that will be using it. Samsung's SMS app should support it too.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I use SMS because nothing of import is spoken over text or calls.

Not sure if serious.

WhatsApp is owned by facebook, and I don't put any important information on facebook either.

Telegram is about the only one i would trust, if i needed secure communication, because it's open source and the Russians are trying to kill it.

Facebook have clearly and repeatedly said that they can't read your whatsapp messages if you use the end to end encryption. They would get sued really, really quickly if they were lying.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Facebook have clearly and repeatedly said that they can't read your whatsapp messages if you use the end to end encryption. They would get sued really, really quickly if they were lying.

Dropbox claimed that they couldn't read users' stuff until they could. Did they get sued?

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008

In that it has end to end encryption.

You locked the sheep in a farm with very high walls, be glad that there is only 1 predator here and the predator is the one who originally put up the walls to keep all the other predators out.

While I only kind of like Moore's Watchman and I am definitely not a big fan of Rorschach, then again Rorschach has a good line with "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."