Google may shut down operations in China

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Google has supposedly made severe advances in the last half of the year. Your article's most recent data is September, and much of it is older. It is missing October, November, December.

According to the other article, Google has increased its share quite dramatically, increasing to 43%. That most definitely changes the fact. Google has gained market share last year.

Also, your data is narrower. Like little elvis said, it excludes some sources, only considering ages 15+ at home or work locations. That doesn't necessarily mean Google's share would increase. Perhaps it would decrease when considering other factors.

Again I can find links saying Baidu still had 60%+ in Q4 how can google have 43%+ if Baidu has 60%+?

http://www.seo-hongkong.com/blog/baidu-controls-601-china-search-market-share-in-q4-07-436.html

Another one that is claiming Google was no where near 40%

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/googles-share-of-chinese-search-rises-in-q4-2010-01-13

Look you can find anything you want you can find articles that say Baidu has lost market share since 2008 and you can find articles that say they've gained market share since 2008. Lets not forget though these articles that are putting Google at 40%+ of the Marketshare even though they're really only around 1/3rd or less say they've gained in the last 6 months... that's obviously false because that includes Q3 and Q3 Baidu stomped all over Google.

The reason we're probably seeing so much crap posted in the last day or two is because people are standing behind Google in their stand against "big bad China" so we're going to see things that say they weren't hurting etc etc, but truth is they are losing market share and like I said before the most searched term on Google.cn is Baidu.

Jun 26, 2007
Again I can find links saying Baidu still had 60%+ in Q4 how can google have 43%+ if Baidu has 60%+?

http://www.seo-hongkong.com/blog/baidu-controls-601-china-search-market-share-in-q4-07-436.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/googles-share-of-chinese-search-rises-in-q4-2010-01-13

Look you can find anything you want you can find articles that say Baidu has lost market share since 2008 and you can find articles that say they've gained market share since 2008. Lets not forget though these articles that are putting Google at 40%+ of the Marketshare even though they're really only around 1/3rd or less say they've gained in the last 6 months... that's obviously false because that includes Q3 and Q3 Baidu stomped all over Google.

The reason we're probably seeing so much crap posted in the last day or two is because people are standing behind Google in their stand against "big bad China" so we're going to see things that say they weren't hurting etc etc, but truth is they are losing market share and like I said before the most searched term on Google.cn is Baidu.

Who cares, really? Slavery and wanton rapes along with political public assasinations of those who have the gall to speak up against the regime is a much bigger issue.

China should be boycotted by everyone for their extremist and totalitarian government.

If google boycotts china, good for google.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

What does that mean? Why are people searching for the word Baidu so much on Google?

If they already know the word Baidu to search for it, they could be using the Baidu search enigne.

The fact they're not and are using Google to search for it suggesting something else, like interest in stories on the competition to the browser they use.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Because your links are outdated.

This is from 2007.

Isn't that the fiscal quarter Q4. Fiscal Q4 would not be the last quarter of the calendar year. Also, looking at that report shows Google's market share increased throughout 2009.

Sorry, I don't see it as obviously false. Your statement regarding loss of market share and less than 20% and dropping seem obviously false though.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
http://www.thechinaperspective.com/articles/google039smarketsharefallsbelow20inchina6634/index.html

November 2009 Google drops below 20%.

http://www.chinastakes.com/2010/1/should-baidu-giggle-at-googles-possible-withdrawal.html

Google makes around 1% of their total revenue from China, also this article also says Google is below 20%. Also, I have a question everything you guys are linking saying Google has gained market share for 2009 and had over 40% is all in the last few days... after Google decided point the finger at China and demonize them for them "failing" there. Where are the articles from early to late 2009 stating Google had gained huge amounts of market share? Can someone find an article from 2009 that states Google had over 40%? I can't find one....

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
What does that mean? Why are people searching for the word Baidu so much on Google?

If they already know the word Baidu to search for it, they could be using the Baidu search enigne.

The fact they're not and are using Google to search for it suggesting something else, like interest in stories on the competition to the browser they use.

why do people google nike just to goto nike.com? because people are fucking idiots.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
why do people google nike just to goto nike.com? because people are fucking idiots.

Fine, but Nike isn't the top search term. Why wouldn't Google then be the top search term on Baiku as people use it to get to Google? It doesn't make sense to say people googling Baiku are Baiku users.

deputc26

Nov 7, 2008

Some of the confusion here is justified as there is more than one way to measure market share: by site volume/searches or by revenue generated. The 43% is by clicks (kind of obvious given the research institutions name) and the 35% is by revenue from WSJ. Please let it rest, they are clearly gaining market share.

Saying that China is working against them does help their business because it doesn't show them as incompetent and unable to penetrate a foreign market.

Your assertion that google is incompetent casts a rather dark cloud over your own competence. Even their harshest critics and competitors wouldn't call them incompetent, evil? maybe (though this turn of events is a strong argument against that), greedy? maybe. Incompetent? *without doubt no* ...just check their balance sheet.

The reason we're probably seeing so much crap posted in the last day or two is because people are standing behind Google in their stand against "big bad China" so we're going to see things that say they weren't hurting etc etc,
You are inferring that the press is publishing lies about market share to make google look good???? Conspiracy theories like this belong in ATOT.

but truth is they are losing market share.
Your persistence is truly remarkable, either you are incapable of admitting you were wrong or you are pretending to still believe this just to stir the pot.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
http://www.thechinaperspective.com/articles/google039smarketsharefallsbelow20inchina6634/index.html

November 2009 Google drops below 20%.

http://www.chinastakes.com/2010/1/should-baidu-giggle-at-googles-possible-withdrawal.html

Google makes around 1% of their total revenue from China, also this article also says Google is below 20%. Also, I have a question everything you guys are linking saying Google has gained market share for 2009 and had over 40% is all in the last few days... after Google decided point the finger at China and demonize them for them "failing" there. Where are the articles from early to late 2009 stating Google had gained huge amounts of market share? Can someone find an article from 2009 that states Google had over 40%? I can't find one....

Again, you are using narrow data. Do you not read the articles that you post? It says that the below 20% number is for data outside first-tier Chinese cities.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Google: We can't compete in china so we're gonna threaten to pull out and get lots of good PR and advertising!
China: ok bye
Google: Our shareholders don't like us sacrificing potential chinese market so can we plz come back to China? We arz sowwry!
China: Suck my balls
Google: *suck* *suck* can we comz back now?
China: sure, but continue sucking.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Google: We can't compete in china so we're gonna threaten to pull out and get lots of good PR and advertising!
China: ok bye
Google: Our shareholders don't like us sacrificing potential chinese market so can we plz come back to China? We arz sowwry!
China: Suck my balls
Google: *suck* *suck* can we comz back now?
China: sure, but continue sucking.

Which is exactly what I said, but noooo I was sooo wrong.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good.
Drag them into the 21st century kicking and screaming. And if they refuse, let them rot in the 20th century.

And a fucking corporation does not owe a communist government anything and shouldnt be making deals with them anyway. China needs a free market and Google should be in business with a Chinese corporation.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Good.
Drag them into the 21st century kicking and screaming. And if they refuse, let them rot in the 20th century.

And a fucking corporation does not owe a communist government anything and shouldnt be making deals with them anyway. China needs a free market and Google should be in business with a Chinese corporation.

One could argue the Chinese market is as free or more so than our own. They definitely have more consumer choice in almost every market. China is a rather consumer friendly place.