Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So you didn't like Ocarina of Time or GTA Vice City? Or Bloodborne? And I remember you defending the PS5 version of Elden Ring that can't keep a steady framerate either.

Not a fact at all. The crafting system is such an incredible addition that blows away magnesis and cryonis and so on from BOTW. Plus the underground is a lot of fun to play and a great way to hunt for shrines.

I have probably 120 hours in it and haven't found anything in the game to be dull yet.
Elden Ring kept a steady framerate for me on PS5 in Performance mode like 99% of the time. Drops happen in TotK constantly. And the base framerate is 30fps not 60fps like in Elden Ring. There is a big difference when it drops to like 20fps compared to 55fps.

And no I do not like GTA games. I never played Bloodborne. OOT I liked back in the day, but I was also like 15 when it came out and things have changed quite a bit since then.

I have finished 2 temples in TotK. The one I just did was one of the least fun level I can remember in a Zelda game. It was the Fire Temple. Part of it had to do with the stupid physics of the fan/cart stuff and it just not "working" as you'd expect leading to a lot of falls into the fire.

I also don't like how much time is spent in menus in the damn game. I feel like I'm constantly slowing down the pace of the already slow game by digging into menus to do something. Whether it's the quick menu with the ultra hand, picking something to attach to an arrow, picking food to use, turning on/off the powers you get from beating temples, etc, I am just constantly in menus.

Again, I am having fun with the game, but it's just far from a 10/10 to me. I am already finding myself not caring about talking to the random people in towns now because I don't care what they say or about a lot of the side missions at this point. I find myself now passing up the korok seeds and when I see someone who needs to find their friend, I just don't care. There is no chance I will be completing this game to the extent that I finished BotW and how much time I put into it. Once I beat the main stories in this game I'm going to be done with it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Elden Ring kept a steady framerate for me on PS5 in Performance mode like 99% of the time. Drops happen in TotK constantly. And the base framerate is 30fps not 60fps like in Elden Ring. There is a big difference when it drops to like 20fps compared to 55fps.

And no I do not like GTA games. I never played Bloodborne. OOT I liked back in the day, but I was also like 15 when it came out and things have changed quite a bit since then.

I have finished 2 temples in TotK. The one I just did was one of the least fun level I can remember in a Zelda game. It was the Fire Temple. Part of it had to do with the stupid physics of the fan/cart stuff and it just not "working" as you'd expect leading to a lot of falls into the fire.

I also don't like how much time is spent in menus in the damn game. I feel like I'm constantly slowing down the pace of the already slow game by digging into menus to do something. Whether it's the quick menu with the ultra hand, picking something to attach to an arrow, picking food to use, turning on/off the powers you get from beating temples, etc, I am just constantly in menus.

Again, I am having fun with the game, but it's just far from a 10/10 to me. I am already finding myself not caring about talking to the random people in towns now because I don't care what they say or about a lot of the side missions at this point. I find myself now passing up the korok seeds and when I see someone who needs to find their friend, I just don't care. There is no chance I will be completing this game to the extent that I finished BotW and how much time I put into it. Once I beat the main stories in this game I'm going to be done with it.
Elden Ring was shown to drop into the 50s and 40s all the time on PS5 unless you were playing the PS4 BC mode (which is how I played). 45fps has the same problem with one frame being displayed once, the next two times, the next once, the next two times, etc that 20 fps does leading to the same kind of stuttering. If you liked Elden Ring though you should definitely check Bloodborne when the complete edition goes on sale, usually from $13 to $20. Complete edition is a must because The Old Hunters DLC in it added the two best boss fights in the game, one of which is just as awesome as Malenia is in Elden Ring. Bloodborne has pretty bad frame pacing though if you weren't put off by Elden Ring's PS5 frame pacing issues you probably wouldn't be too bothered with Bloodborne's either.

I liked the carts in the Fire Temple though I have to admit one part I just made a giant bridge. I find TOTK to have way more interesting puzzles, better bosses, and a whole lot more combat than BOTW, plus more exploration thanks to the underground.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Elden Ring was shown to drop into the 50s and 40s all the time on PS5 unless you were playing the PS4 BC mode (which is how I played). 45fps has the same problem with one frame being displayed once, the next two times, the next once, the next two times, etc that 20 fps does leading to the same kind of stuttering. If you liked Elden Ring though you should definitely check Bloodborne when the complete edition goes on sale, usually from $13 to $20. Complete edition is a must because The Old Hunters DLC in it added the two best boss fights in the game, one of which is just as awesome as Malenia is in Elden Ring. Bloodborne has pretty bad frame pacing though if you weren't put off by Elden Ring's PS5 frame pacing issues you probably wouldn't be too bothered with Bloodborne's either.

I liked the carts in the Fire Temple though I have to admit one part I just made a giant bridge. I find TOTK to have way more interesting puzzles, better bosses, and a whole lot more combat than BOTW, plus more exploration thanks to the underground.
Honestly it could be my game mode on my projector that hid frame drops into the 40's on Elden Ring if it was a consistent thing. I am super picky about framerate and stuff but that game in performance mode I rarely "felt" it under 60fps. When I have game mode on with normal stuff like shows and sports, it looks like it is filling in missing frames or something, it almost is smooth like the soap opera effect. But it's also the same projector I'm playing TotK on so I dunno...

I got to the underground part of Zelda this past weekend too and whoever thought the whole lighting thing was a good idea down there needs to be taken out back and dealt with.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Honestly it could be my game mode on my projector that hid frame drops into the 40's on Elden Ring if it was a consistent thing. I am super picky about framerate and stuff but that game in performance mode I rarely "felt" it under 60fps. When I have game mode on with normal stuff like shows and sports, it looks like it is filling in missing frames or something, it almost is smooth like the soap opera effect. But it's also the same projector I'm playing TotK on so I dunno...

I got to the underground part of Zelda this past weekend too and whoever thought the whole lighting thing was a good idea down there needs to be taken out back and dealt with.
You're supposed to find lightroots to illuminate the darkness. What's cool is the lightroots are directly below shrines, so the underground gives you a way of searching for shrines above ground. Funny enough a slight overclock of the memory from 1600 MHz to 1862 MHz is supposed to get rid of almost all frame drops. I'm going to have to try it later.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You're supposed to find lightroots to illuminate the darkness. What's cool is the lightroots are directly below shrines, so the underground gives you a way of searching for shrines above ground. Funny enough a slight overclock of the memory from 1600 MHz to 1862 MHz is supposed to get rid of almost all frame drops. I'm going to have to try it later.
I saw the video of overclocking and the guy ended up just overclocking his RAM and it fixed all framerate issues. He kept the CPU and GPU at default and with just RAM overclocked he had a constant 30fps.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I saw the video of overclocking and the guy ended up just overclocking his RAM and it fixed all framerate issues. He kept the CPU and GPU at default and with just RAM overclocked he had a constant 30fps.
I was surprised to hear it even works in the fire temple, which is the first place I have seen steadily low framerates in the game.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Honestly I think overall as just a fun factor and enjoyment, I think I like Link's Awakening remake on Switch better than both BotW and TotK. I never played it back in the day so it was new to me.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Honestly I think overall as just a fun factor and enjoyment, I think I like Link's Awakening remake on Switch better than both BotW and TotK. I never played it back in the day so it was new to me.
Did you ever play A Link Between Worlds on 3DS? That one is mindblowingly awesome if you want something that plays in the SNES style, and it's one of the few games on the system the 3D actually adds a lot to (though Mario Kart 7 is the GOAT for 3D on the 3DS). I played it on New 3DS XL, which has a face tracking camera to keep the 3D effect lined up properly much better than earlier gen 3DS did, so YMMV on an older 3DS.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Just tried the memory oc to 1862 MHz (stock memory clock is 1600 MHz) and yeah I could do ultrahand in the Fire Temple without any noticeable drops and my temps all seem fine. How has this not been turned on for all Switches? Or at least the Mariko models, eg red box, Lite, and OLED Switches that have lower power consumption?

Reactions: purbeast0
Jul 27, 2020
How has this not been turned on for all Switches?
Coz they haven't factory validated all Switches for this RAM speed. Would be a customer support nightmare for them if they OC the RAM through some performance update and then Switches with display artifacts even after downclocking the RAM start turning up by the hundreds or even thousands in their labs.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Coz they haven't factory validated all Switches for this RAM speed. Would be a customer support nightmare for them if they OC the RAM through some performance update and then Switches with display artifacts even after downclocking the RAM start turning up by the hundreds or even thousands in their labs.
I can understand being weary with the Eristas but the Marikos are usually capable of a further overclock into the 2GHz range much less the 1862 MHz that seems to work great on Eristas. Might just not want to anger OG Switch buyers by making the new Switches perform better even though they're capable of it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I think it’s kind of a bummer because it tells you how much a “pro” refresh that was really mild (like 2ghz memory, 1.4 ghz cpu clock and maybe 128GB or something of onboard memory which is sorta useless but bigger numbers are sexy) would have actually moved loads just with this game alone. Leaving money on the table, Nintendo!

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Installed a frame counter to see if I was really getting the 30 fps after the update to 1862MHz on the RAM and here we are, Fire Temple with ultrahand enabled and it's running 30 fps.

ultrahand-finre-temple.jpg

Went to Kakariko Village and dropped the memory back to 1600 MHz and spun with ultrahand and could easily force a drop to 20 fps, though couldn't grab a screenshot when it dropped quite that low; here it is running 20.70 fps at 1600 MHz memory clocks:

20fps.jpg

Put the memory back to 1862 MHz and was back up to 30 fps spinning in the same spot with ultrahand in Kakariko Village

30fps.jpg

Sometimes it'll go to 29 fps on 1862MHz as the frame pacing isn't perfect, but none of the big drops you can get at 1600 MHz.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
God the crafting system is awesome in this game. Dude fused a cart to his shield so he could ride the rails and skip the puzzle. :tearsofjoy:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The crafting is just so awesome in TOTK. Made a little hoverbike out of two fans and a control stick that is amazing for traversing Hyrule and moving koroks, and if I throw one of the giant light seeds on the front it's great for exploring the depths too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaido and blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Wow Red Dead Redemption 1 coming to Switch on August 17th. Never in a million years saw that coming. Also coming to PS4.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Wow Red Dead Redemption 1 coming to Switch on August 17th. Never in a million years saw that coming. Also coming to PS4.

Sounds like a lazy port, similar to the GTA trilogy debacle they released a couple of years ago. They really should have done a remake/remaster.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Sounds like a lazy port, similar to the GTA trilogy debacle they released a couple of years ago. They really should have done a remake/remaster.
Yeah this could have really used even a light remaster. God I hope it's not as crap as the GTA Trilogy.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yeah this could have really used even a light remaster. God I hope it's not as crap as the GTA Trilogy.
Guess we will have to see, but it really doesn't sound like they put much into it. Unless you really want it on the switch for some reason just play it on Xbox or PC via Xbox emulator. You can get the 360 disc for ~$10.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So this caught my interest, loved it on the NES and the one one SNES was amazing:
Got me thinking, feels like there aren't many co-op games that share/split a screen anymore for 2players. Either everyone has their own screen/device or it's single player (barring sport games, but hey fuck EA).
Are there more examples of games that are co-op 2 player local for the Switch besides the party and Mario Kart genres?