Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There may be a billion indie platformers, but virtually none of them hold a candle to Nintendo's best stuff. Sturgeon's Law is still in full effect here.

It doesn't matter how good they are, there are just too many.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
110% agree. I feel like Nintendo games should be $29, tops. Pricing should match the console price. If you get a $59 game from Steam, you better be getting something dang special for the money, you know?

...no, that's silly. Do you really think that Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey are only worth $29? The console price has no relation to the value of the games on it. There's a whole discussion that can be had about the price of ports to the Switch, but actual new games on switch have every reason to be priced the same as other console games. If anything, they have more reason, since the actual physical media they're distributed on is a fair bit more expensive than discs, and they have the value added of functioning as both home console games and portable games. And if you get a $59 game from Steam, that just means you didn't bother to wait for a sale.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That analogy makes no sense. A top end PC is well over $1000, even into the $2000 range. A Switch is $300. So if a game should be $30 on Switch, that means it should be $100 - $200 on PC.

I should have split that post into 2 sentences, lol. Because Steam sales.

Someday I'll get the time to play through my library...

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
No, of course not, but I'd feel better about paying $29 for it on a $299 console than $59 :D
Ok, well, I'd feel better about paying less for any game, regardless of what console it's on. You're not objectively getting less value because the console is $299.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Just picked up the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy for Switch (only $39, yay!). Going to have some fuuuuuuuuuuun with this one! :D

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
All physical pre-orders are 20% off with prime except collector's editions.
And remakes/re-releases.

Smash Bro's is going to be crap like the rest of them so that's probably the only Nintendo brand game I won't be preordering on the Switch.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
All physical pre-orders are 20% off with prime except collector's editions.

I have to say that's why I'm glad that I still have time left on my GCU. 20% off regardless of pre-order or not and not restriction on collector's editions! I have Octopath Traveler coming in this Friday... let's just hope that it's good. :oops:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
nsw-wgs.jpg

original.jpg

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I won't be getting smash Bros either. It's only fun to play with groups of people and only a few people I know have a switch and they are co-workers which I don't usually hang out with coworkers outside of work related events or getting lunch.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm a hipster because he gets butthurt when people don't like games he does.

Makes complete sense.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I'm a hipster because he gets butthurt when people don't like games he does.

Makes complete sense.
"Butthurt", uh huh. Disliking the series is fine. You knew exactly the kind of response you would get putting down a popular series so casually. That's being a hipster.

If you dislike something popular then that’s the label you get I guess.

He didn't say he disliked it, he said it was "crap". Not the same thing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
"Butthurt", uh huh. Disliking the series is fine. You knew exactly the kind of response you would get putting down a popular series so casually. That's being a hipster.
If this was a Smash Brothers thread then yes you'd have a point. But this is a general Nintendo Switch thread so you don't. I'm not the only one who thinks Smash Brothers is crap either.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Semantics doesn't make sense..a hipster follows the latest trends and fashions. So if by popular opinion a game or movie is well favored by many people than I would conclude those people are hipsters. Not the opposite, but that's just my opinion.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Semantics doesn't make sense..a hipster follows the latest trends and fashions. So if by popular opinion a game or movie is well favored by many people than I would conclude those people are hipsters. Not the opposite, but that's just my opinion.
Ok...yeah, you're right, I'm actually misusing the word. Fair point. Maybe "grouch" would be a better word.

If this was a Smash Brothers thread then yes you'd have a point. But this is a general Nintendo Switch thread so you don't. I'm not the only one who thinks Smash Brothers is crap either.
It's a Nintendo thread. I'd think the default assumption is that people like Nintendo games, here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's a Nintendo thread. I'd think the default assumption is that people like Nintendo games, here.
Last I checked the thread title specifically talks about this being a Switch thread not a Nintendo Game thread. There's also discussion of non-Nintendo games in here on said console, since it's a Switch thread.

But do carry on...

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I have to say that's why I'm glad that I still have time left on my GCU. 20% off regardless of pre-order or not and not restriction on collector's editions! I have Octopath Traveler coming in this Friday... let's just hope that it's good. :oops:

I also have Octopath Traveler pre-ordered, but I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. $60 MSRP is high for a 2D JRPG, IMO, and the structure of the game sounds a bit disjointed from what I've read (do every character's chapter 1 before moving onto any chapter 2 unless you like grinding?).