Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I also have Octopath Traveler pre-ordered, but I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. $60 MSRP is high for a 2D JRPG, IMO, and the structure of the game sounds a bit disjointed from what I've read (do every character's chapter 1 before moving onto any chapter 2 unless you like grinding?).

Yeah, when I heard about how the gameplay worked between the characters, it disappointed me a bit. It doesn't sound like we'll get much of a narrative that ties characters together so much as you sort of stumble across them and literally just ask them to join you.

As for the graphics compared to the cost, I think that's sort of the problem that we run into in this day and age. Developers can create massive, beautiful games like God of War, because they expect to push enough units that they can recoup a higher budget with more sales. In the case of Octopath Traveler, the budget is likely far, far lower than a game like God of War; however, the game is likely expected to not sell nearly as much. I'd be surprised if Octopath Traveler's lifetime sales even hit God of War's week one sales. So, in a way, you feel like you're getting more since you're getting a $100 million dollar game for $60 compared to getting a $10 million dollar game for $60. Of course, it's hard to put a price tag on the enjoyment that you get, or even understand what it will be prior to playing it.

Reactions: Sonikku

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah, when I heard about how the gameplay worked between the characters, it disappointed me a bit. It doesn't sound like we'll get much of a narrative that ties characters together so much as you sort of stumble across them and literally just ask them to join you.

As for the graphics compared to the cost, I think that's sort of the problem that we run into in this day and age. Developers can create massive, beautiful games like God of War, because they expect to push enough units that they can recoup a higher budget with more sales. In the case of Octopath Traveler, the budget is likely far, far lower than a game like God of War; however, the game is likely expected to not sell nearly as much. I'd be surprised if Octopath Traveler's lifetime sales even hit God of War's week one sales. So, in a way, you feel like you're getting more since you're getting a $100 million dollar game for $60 compared to getting a $10 million dollar game for $60. Of course, it's hard to put a price tag on the enjoyment that you get, or even understand what it will be prior to playing it.

I decided to cancel my pre-order. I'll probably end up getting it in the future when it hits 20 or so.

Reactions: Sonikku

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I decided to cancel my pre-order. I'll probably end up getting it in the future when it hits 20 or so.

ProJared recently posted a video where he visited Nintendo's HQ to check out the game. He didn't seem too cold on it after seeing it, but if I remember correctly, he did bring up how the story's relate. I believe they told him that it isn't so much one story, but rather eight separate stories where other characters in your party (a max of four) may interact depending on the character.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have the Toad Treasure Tracker game on the way from amazon, should arrive tomorrow.

Any word on whether the Switch additions are worth it? I have it for the Wii U, but honestly... I'm tempted to just pull my Wii U off my shelf. I don't have the sensor bar hooked up as the TV is too far away, and I haven't really even considered buying a wireless one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Any word on whether the Switch additions are worth it? I have it for the Wii U, but honestly... I'm tempted to just pull my Wii U off my shelf. I don't have the sensor bar hooked up as the TV is too far away, and I haven't really even considered buying a wireless one.
I haven't heard anything about the extra levels. I never played the original or even knew about it until it was announced for Switch.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Did anyone get Pocket Rumble? I was excited about that game since before the Switch was out, but SF5 has basically killed my fighting game interest for the most part so I didn’t snag it when it came out this week, but I’m hearing mixed reviews about it. It’s only $10 so I may just grab it this weekend but I was wondering if anyone got it and what they thought of it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Toad Treasure Tracker game is a lot of fun. The level design in the game is just awesome as usual with Nintendo games. I played it for like 2+ hours straight Saturday night and I thought I had only been gaming for like an hour max. Time just flew by. And they have different things on each level that will make you want to play them at least 3x each if you are a completionist.

Reactions: ViRGE

Chacotako

Apr 29, 2001
@purbeast0 Have you played any Dragon Ball FighterZ? I didn't realize it was being released for the Switch. Also, I've only seen a couple of screenshots of Toad Treasure Tracker, but is it similar to the iOS game Monument Valley?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@purbeast0 Have you played any Dragon Ball FighterZ? I didn't realize it was being released for the Switch. Also, I've only seen a couple of screenshots of Toad Treasure Tracker, but is it similar to the iOS game Monument Valley?
I have not played DBZ and have no interest in it. I also have never heard of Monument Valley so I can't really help you on that comparison either.

There is a demo of the Toad game out though on the eShop to try out.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

I'd say if you're into arcsystemworks other games then you'll like DBZ. To me it plays a bit like blazblue but with the additional tag stuff thrown into it. Personally I still like the Guilty Gear series more but if you're a DBZ fan then I'd say it's worth it for sure. I have it on PS4 but I can't imagine it's much different on switch other than the fact that I really like the dpad onps4 for fighting games. I tried the demo for BlazBlue cross battle or whatever it's called on switch, it was pretty cool too.

Has anyone else played the Bloodstained game that came out? I backed it on kickstarter way back and they released a mini retro game called curse of the moon maybe a month or two ago. It's pretty cool, reminds me a lot of the old castlevania games and it's really well done. I got it for free from the kickstarter but I think it's only like $10 to buy it separately.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone have a solution for BT audio on the Switch with wireless headphones? I ordered these today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVV1QHR

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LH6RPBW

Because I saw that BT works through USB now. However I got it and neither the Switch or the dock will power the dongle. I tried it on my Mac and PC and it powers it and it glows blue and I could connect my headphones to it, but that never happens on the Switch or dock.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has solutions? I like how small that solution was and it's like a little key I can plug in when gaming in portable mode, but obviously it didn't work. I was hoping to only pack 1 pair of headphones for my flight tomorrow but nope!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Because I saw that BT works through USB now. However I got it and neither the Switch or the dock will power the dongle. I tried it on my Mac and PC and it powers it and it glows blue and I could connect my headphones to it, but that never happens on the Switch or dock.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has solutions? I like how small that solution was and it's like a little key I can plug in when gaming in portable mode, but obviously it didn't work. I was hoping to only pack 1 pair of headphones for my flight tomorrow but nope!

Hm, I was originally thinking of whether the Switch just doesn't support that BT adapter, but even if it didn't support it... you'd likely see the power LED light up. (Of course, it might only light up when it's initialized too.) Is there any information on what components other users are using?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I have been hooked on PixelJunk Monsters 2 for the past month. Like the first, every spare moment I have seems to be using it. Even taking it to work and playing it in the car before I go in. It's a good thing I can't actually take it into work, I would never get anything done. I've been reading less at night also, just thinking of that damn game. Almost done with it being perfect. I have to get every level perfect because I'm weird I guess.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
sA7MP8Q.png

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I picked up Yoku's Express Island yesterday after trying the demo 2 nights ago after seeing that Game Stop converted their new copies to used and it was only $20. It's a very interesting and innovative game that feels like nothing I have played before. I recommend checking it out if you can. I am not sure if there are demos for X1 and PS4 versions, but it's available on all consoles too.

Yoku's Express Island and Dead Cells should keep me busy on my flights this weekend.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Anyone have a solution for BT audio on the Switch with wireless headphones? I ordered these today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVV1QHR

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LH6RPBW

I think your best solution will be a bluetooth transceiver like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...6839856&sr=1-4&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter

It can plug into the headphone jack of the switch, then pair your headphones with it. I would recommend buying a short (6" or less) 3.5mm male to male cable so you can velcro the adapter to the back of your switch or something, and it'd be pretty seamless.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Got a switch with breath of the wild yesterday. Last console was PS3 and I barely played games on it. I'm mainly a PC gamer.

Got Mario Odyssey, and a pro controller on the way.
There's several other games I am interested in but will have to wait awhile.

I'd like to find a game that I can play while watching TV. Right now I play bejeweled while watching TV, so something like that. Or maybe even something a bit more involved that I don't need to keep constant attention to, like a turn based game?

One thing I worry about is buying a game and not liking it. On steam you could return a game for any reason within a certain time period. Is that still possible for switch games like at Amazon or brick and mortar stores?

I'm guessing there is nothing like that for eShop games?

Other option would be gamefly, to rent and try games before buying. Is game fly worth it though?

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
Got a switch with breath of the wild yesterday. Last console was PS3 and I barely played games on it. I'm mainly a PC gamer.

Got Mario Odyssey, and a pro controller on the way.
There's several other games I am interested in but will have to wait awhile.

I'd like to find a game that I can play while watching TV. Right now I play bejeweled while watching TV, so something like that. Or maybe even something a bit more involved that I don't need to keep constant attention to, like a turn based game?

One thing I worry about is buying a game and not liking it. On steam you could return a game for any reason within a certain time period. Is that still possible for switch games like at Amazon or brick and mortar stores?

I'm guessing there is nothing like that for eShop games?

Other option would be gamefly, to rent and try games before buying. Is game fly worth it though?

I can't answer your questions about eShop return policy or gamefly, but if you are looking for fun turn based games I would recommend looking into Darkest Dungeon, SteamWorld Heist, Undertale, and Banner Saga (I believe 1 & 2 are both released on Switch with #3 on the way). My go to game for if I'm casually playing while doing something else (like watching tv) is Stardew Valley. It isn't turn based but is easily paused at any moment if you want to pay more attention to something else. All of those games can be a little niche so I would definitely look at the reviews first to decide if they are the type of game that you are into but they are all very fun if they fit your style.

Obviously these game recommendations are assuming that you never played them on Steam.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I stay away from the Nintendo eshop cause of how they segragate their offerings. Why cant you just buy a title and when they port it to the next generation you still have the ability to play it there.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I stay away from the Nintendo eshop cause of how they segragate their offerings. Why cant you just buy a title and when they port it to the next generation you still have the ability to play it there.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, none of the modern consoles offer what you're talking about. If they port the game to the new generation, it's usually a "remaster" or some such thing, and you have to pay for it again regardless of if you already owned it. I've heard of some backwards compatibility with the xbox, but that's been a relatively new feature that it wasn't shipped with. I'm not sure if that works the way you're describing.