Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah not having built in bluetooth for audio is pretty annoying. But I'm going to purchase an adapter before my next trip for like $40 so that I can use my bluetooth headphones so I don't have to bring 2 pairs. I am also thinking about getting one of those extra battery packs that latch onto the back of the console just so if I am flying more than 3 hours it won't die. Realistically the Switch lasts like 3 or 3.5 hours when in use.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I wouldn't look too into this new SKU. It is absolutely nothing but rumors at this point and also Nintendo HAS to put out a new revision of the Switch so that they can fix the hacking issue.

It's always possible it could be just nothing/nearly nothing, but this seems like a good bit of smoke, and we're approaching 2 years (rumor states early 2019). So I could definitely see them adding a model, and a cheaper one to take over the 3ds role would make a lot of sense. If anything I think there not being some kind of major change in the lineup would perhaps be the most surprising.

Of course all possibilities are on the table until confirmation. :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I’d personally agree with the limited library. There are numerous releases I can get elsewhere or have had elsewhere for a long time. Rebuying games is not appealing whatsoever for me. The thing is, I don’t use mine to travel all that much. Last trip to Orlando I didn’t even pack it. For someone like me the library is ultra small because I feel that some of the games available play and look better elsewhere since the portability aspect is not a major point of interest to me at this time.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I’d personally agree with the limited library. There are numerous releases I can get elsewhere or have had elsewhere for a long time. Rebuying games is not appealing whatsoever for me. The thing is, I don’t use mine to travel all that much. Last trip to Orlando I didn’t even pack it. For someone like me the library is ultra small because I feel that some of the games available play and look better elsewhere since the portability aspect is not a major point of interest to me at this time.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't care whatsoever about portability. When I'm on the go, I have zero time for gaming. And any game I can play in better quality elsewhere, that's what I do. I'm more into games like battlefield, AC, GoW, HZD, Witcher 3 etc most of the time.

That said, I'm not upset that Nintendo is going a totally different path, as we already have PS/XB/PC for big screen higher end hardware and more ambitious game scope/etc. It just means that for me personally, the Switch isn't exactly my first choice. For others it can make a lot of sense, and if it was another home box it probably wouldn't really stand out much. Some people take things way too seriously, or don't realize it's not all about them. I mean as portability means squat to me, with the Switch I'm paying for a screen, battery, and design compromises that do zilch for my uses. But for others it's exactly what they want and use.

It doesn't really seem to compete at all with other platforms tbh. PS remains monstrous, XB has increased to a respectable steady seller, PC remains huge for what it is, and all the while Nintendo sells boatloads. Pretty solid success.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
This is pretty much how I feel. I don't care whatsoever about portability. When I'm on the go, I have zero time for gaming. And any game I can play in better quality elsewhere, that's what I do. I'm more into games like battlefield, AC, GoW, HZD, Witcher 3 etc most of the time.

That said, I'm not upset that Nintendo is going a totally different path, as we already have PS/XB/PC for big screen higher end hardware and more ambitious game scope/etc. It just means that for me personally, the Switch isn't exactly my first choice. For others it can make a lot of sense, and if it was another home box it probably wouldn't really stand out much. Some people take things way too seriously, or don't realize it's not all about them. I mean as portability means squat to me, with the Switch I'm paying for a screen, battery, and design compromises that do zilch for my uses. But for others it's exactly what they want and use.

It doesn't really seem to compete at all with other platforms tbh. PS remains monstrous, XB has increased to a respectable steady seller, PC remains huge for what it is, and all the while Nintendo sells boatloads. Pretty solid success.

The Switch just looks way too big to be a good portable for me, and I'd be scared of scratching the screen. I love the design of the New 3DS XL I have. I can fold it and stick it in my pocket and my only concern is to make sure I put my car keys in the other pocket. Plus the case feels pretty robust, I'm not worried about breaking the thing when I carry it around.

For my uses Switch would likely be a home console, at least right now when they don't have the big library of turn based RPG that work so well on the 3DS as portable games. The stuff I'm interested in like Super Mario Odyssey and Bayonetta 2 are the kind of games I would not want to play portable. I don't like Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, it's just not fun playing 3D games on a handheld (same reason I gave away my PSP to my brother back in 2006; GTA sucked on a small screen). But I love the extremely similar Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U, and I think I'd like Super Mario 3D Land on the bigscreen too. Zelda BOTW is a game I'd never want to play portable since the game is so much about exploration and taking in big sweeping views that would demand a large screen. Now I could see myself being interested in it as a handheld late in its lifetime when series like Shin Megami Tensei and Bravely are well represented on it, but for right now it's $299 for stuff I don't want like the screen and battery like you pointed out. I would love a $199 always docked version.

And yeah $299 also sounds like a lot when the game library isn't very impressive outside of the two main system sellers. I hate buying a console so early on. I bought my PS4 in December 2016 because the sale price was awesome (I paid $220 from newegg for a Slim with Uncharted 4) and because I knew there was going to be a deluge of incredible 2017 games for the system. But what does Nintendo have coming out in 2019? When I bought my PS4 I was hyped for Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and Persona 5 and knew God of War would probably be a 2018 game. But with Nintendo I know nothing about Shin Megami Tensei V, Bravely Third, Bayonetta 3, and Metroid Prime 4, and those along with Super Mario Odyssey are the system sellers for me. I'm so disappointed Nintendo didn't seem to have anything to say about these games at E3 nor the Tokyo Game Show. And now the talk of a new Switch model? So I could have the scrub Switch and miss out on some big games like they did on 3DS where Xenoblade will only play on the quadcore New 3DS and not the dual core OG 3DS, 2DS, and 3DS XL.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Limited is definitely not a word I'd use to describe the Switch library. There are tons of great games out for it. I own more Switch games than Xbox One and I've had both since launch. I play my Switch more than any console right now then comes PS4 but that hasn't been touched much since I got God of War, but I did just buy Astro Bot this week too, so that will give PSVR some time.

Also, the portability of the Switch is something I've used A LOT more than I ever would have expected. I fly like 4-5 years for vacations and it's all I do on the plane. Recently I've been playing it a lot on my couch doing runs of Dead Cells or just playing 1 level then turning it off. It's so easy to play for like 10 minutes at a time and just put it down, then go do something else. Then you get right back into the game when you pick it up in like literally 2 seconds. I expected to never use the portability and only play it on my 10 foot screen but that just isn't the case.

I can't get into the small studio Steam kind of games that seem to dominate the Switch's library. The only game like that I have spent much time playing this generation was Guacamelee. I can see how those games could have a lot of appeal for playing in handheld mode but I already have what I consider a far superior handheld system in the New 3DS XL. Obviously it's crap in comparison by hardware, but I consider it far superior because it is loaded with amazing JRPGs while the Switch library seems limited to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Project Octopath Traveler right now and then Fire Emblem Three Houses next spring. (is there anything I'm forgetting?) And Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't excite me nearly the way Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalyse or Bravely Default and Bravely Second do.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I can see how those games could have a lot of appeal for playing in handheld mode but I already have what I consider a far superior handheld system in the New 3DS XL. Obviously it's crap in comparison by hardware, but I consider it far superior because it is loaded with amazing JRPGs while the Switch library seems limited to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Project Octopath Traveler right now and then Fire Emblem Three Houses next spring. (is there anything I'm forgetting?)
What? A 7.5 year old console has a bigger library than a 1.5 year old console? Say it ain't so!

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
What? A 7.5 year old console has a bigger library than a 1.5 year old console? Say it ain't so!

I don't think it's only age. It seems like studios were scared of the Switch early on after how poorly the Wii U sold so we're getting a pretty long time delay before having a great library. I just hope in 2020 we finally get a wave of incredible games after seeing how well the Switch has sold. It doesn't look like it's going to be 2019 sadly.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I don't think it's only age. It seems like studios were scared of the Switch early on after how poorly the Wii U sold so we're getting a pretty long time delay before having a great library. I just hope in 2020 we finally get a wave of incredible games after seeing how well the Switch has sold. It doesn't look like it's going to be 2019 sadly.
Compare this list: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/g.../switch/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2017
To this one: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/3ds?year_selected=2011&sort=desc

Both consoles' first year. The Switch has more and better games in the same time frame.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For my uses Switch would likely be a home console, at least right now when they don't have the big library of turn based RPG that work so well on the 3DS as portable games. The stuff I'm interested in like Super Mario Odyssey and Bayonetta 2 are the kind of games I would not want to play portable. I don't like Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, it's just not fun playing 3D games on a handheld (same reason I gave away my PSP to my brother back in 2006; GTA sucked on a small screen).
This could almost be a copy/paste of something I said prior to getting a Switch lol.

A major reason that playing games like GTA or 3D games on handheld in previous generations is that they never felt like "real" games, if that makes sense. They felt like gimped versions of their "real" counterpart games. So playing a game like Odyssey or Zelda on the Switch in portable mode is something that hasn't really been experienced until now. It's kind of hard to explain without experiencing it. With PSP/Vita and 3DS, playing "real" games always felt gimped a bit. They always just felt like they were "portable" games.

A comparison I would make is kind of like how I feel gimped as hell trying to browse the web on my phone. I'd much rather do anything like that on my PC just because it's easier and I don't feel handicapped. That is kind of how I always felt playing things like God of War, Hot Shots, GTA, etc, on PSP/Vita. I always just felt handicapped on the little handheld playing a game that just felt like it wasn't meant to be played that way, and was gimped from the full version counterparts on consoles. But that just isn't the case with the Switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
This could almost be a copy/paste of something I said prior to getting a Switch lol.

A major reason that playing games like GTA or 3D games on handheld in previous generations is that they never felt like "real" games, if that makes sense. They felt like gimped versions of their "real" counterpart games. So playing a game like Odyssey or Zelda on the Switch in portable mode is something that hasn't really been experienced until now. It's kind of hard to explain without experiencing it. With PSP/Vita and 3DS, playing "real" games always felt gimped a bit. They always just felt like they were "portable" games.

A comparison I would make is kind of like how I feel gimped as hell trying to browse the web on my phone. I'd much rather do anything like that on my PC just because it's easier and I don't feel handicapped. That is kind of how I always felt playing things like God of War, Hot Shots, GTA, etc, on PSP/Vita. I always just felt handicapped on the little handheld playing a game that just felt like it wasn't meant to be played that way, and was gimped from the full version counterparts on consoles. But that just isn't the case with the Switch.

I feel pretty confident the handheld mode isn't for me in the big budget games. I have played BOTW in handheld mode on my brother's Switch and I didn't like it. I found it way more enjoyable playing the Wii U version on a big screen. Sony trying to force PS2 experiences on the PSP is what killed that system for me and that's the same way I felt after playing BOTW in portable mode. I want to play those kind of games hooked up to a big screen and a decent stereo.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Switch's first year was really good but the second has looked pretty lackluster and not much has been announced for the third. I keep hoping for a killer third year but I'm skeptical when Nintendo isn't showing anything.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I feel pretty confident the handheld mode isn't for me in the big budget games. I have played BOTW in handheld mode on my brother's Switch and I didn't like it. I found it way more enjoyable playing the Wii U version on a big screen. Sony trying to force PS2 experiences on the PSP is what killed that system for me and that's the same way I felt after playing BOTW in portable mode. I want to play those kind of games hooked up to a big screen and a decent stereo.
Well yeah I'd rather play most games on my 120" screen with 5.2 sound too, but the games itself don't feel gimped in portable mode like they did for a lot of the big budget games on PSP/Vita. But I can see where you are coming from. I'm just mainly stating that I felt the exact way you did (and you could even go back to posts I made before Switch came out on here and I was hating on the portability aspect of it, basically neglecting it as a non factor in my purchase decision) and was pleasantly surprised at how much more I am using it than expected.

I've been playing Dead Cells randomly while watching football this afternoon in portable mode. Like even if it's for 3 minutes during a commercial sometimes lol.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I rarely use my switch in handheld mode :/ It's just not comfortable to me. The joycons especially are a pain for me. I'm 6'4" and have hands that can palm grab a basketball off the ground, so the teeny aspect of them hurts. I realize that it is far different for others of course. The Switch Pro controller is pretty nice thankfully.

Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece IMHO. I bought the thing due to Zelda hype but that game really bored me to tears. I don't care about Pokemon or Animal Crossing, or multiplats that are better anywhere else. My favorite Nintendo series is Advance Wars :) Fire Emblem is alright, I'll look for that.

It's the ultimate YMMV system. But like I said, even if it's not a great match for my uses and wants, I'm happy it is what it is, and a success. A hypothetical home box Nintendo settop with a bit more power would be way better for me, but probably far less successful and less unique as a product.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Zelda starts off really slow so I could see how someone could easily get bored with it. I think that game takes like 4 hours to "get going."

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I rarely use my switch in handheld mode :/ It's just not comfortable to me. The joycons especially are a pain for me. I'm 6'4" and have hands that can palm grab a basketball off the ground, so the teeny aspect of them hurts. I realize that it is far different for others of course. The Switch Pro controller is pretty nice thankfully.

Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece IMHO. I bought the thing due to Zelda hype but that game really bored me to tears. I don't care about Pokemon or Animal Crossing, or multiplats that are better anywhere else. My favorite Nintendo series is Advance Wars :) Fire Emblem is alright, I'll look for that.

It's the ultimate YMMV system. But like I said, even if it's not a great match for my uses and wants, I'm happy it is what it is, and a success. A hypothetical home box Nintendo settop with a bit more power would be way better for me, but probably far less successful and less unique as a product.

I do think Zelda is a bit overrated; I'd rate it an 8/10 which means I enjoyed it but don't consider it GOTY material. The combat isn't very interesting but I did love the exploration. It's the best game I have ever played for just exploring a world. My favorite thing to do in BOTW is to just climb mountains and then jump off them with the glider thing. Though my favorite thing to do in real life is to hike up mountains too.

This will probably be considered sacrilege here, but the recent Zelda I really love is Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on 3DS. It's one of the few 3DS games where the 3D really makes a positive impact and it takes me back to A Link to the Past without being a carbon copy.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Zelda starts off really slow so I could see how someone could easily get bored with it. I think that game takes like 4 hours to "get going."

For me BOTW never really "got going" the way most games do. I probably played it around 160 hours and the vast majority of my gameplay was just screwing around and climbing stuff. It's one of the most relaxed games I have ever played. Every once in a while I'd go do a shrine or a dungeon but mostly I just explored the area. I didn't like the combat at all, the shrines were hit and miss (some really fun, some just super tedious), and I did really enjoy the main dungeons. I'll give Nintendo credit for making a very original game though and I think BOTW gives them a great foundation for building the next game in the series.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
For me BOTW never picked up. I finished the n64 Zelda games no problem because the story pushed you to the next section but it's not like this in this one. The combat I found tough so I couldn't level up much. I also didn't explore much since I would die everywhere I go.

It is fun to explore and I would try to do the temples. It's been so long since I've played it that I wouldn't really have any clue on how to continue where I left off. But the goal was for them to make it truly open and allow a large amount of possibilities so they did an awesome job at that. I guess I'm used to the more direction in the previous Zelda games.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My main gripe with BOTW was that it did not have traditional dungeons. I really wish it did. It didn't have much sense of progression either, which I enjoy in previous Zelda games. It was a lot more open in the sense of "do what you want to do in no order when you want to do it" for the most part, which can be seen as a pro or con. The divine beasts were cool, but we only got 4 of them. And the shrines got pretty old quick, although I did get every one of them completed. I can definitely see why some people didn't get into it though. It's a pretty slow game in general.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The 3DS started out horribly. So bad that they had to lower the price after only six months and pissed off all the early adopters.

ANY brand new console takes a while to get tons of good games from 3rd or first party. The PS4 only had a few decent games it first year.

Reactions: sze5003 and Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The 3DS started out horribly. So bad that they had to lower the price after only six months and pissed off all the early adopters.

ANY brand new console takes a while to get tons of good games from 3rd or first party. The PS4 only had a few decent games it first year.

That's true. The Switch first 12 months definitely better for someone that didn't already own a WiiU, which is easily the majority of Switch owners considering the U sales. PS4 was similar, slow start with some remasters of great games, but definitely less impressive if you already played then on PS3. So many 360 mains jumped to PS4 that it ended up being pretty good for a lot of people of course.

Now that we've gone through almost the entire 1st party lineup for Switch remasters or updated entries, the future should only get brighter. I think 3d Mario world is the last major one remaining? That should make for a nice experience for those that missed it before.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Getting back to the bluetooth adapters, I think I'm going to pass on the Genki one simply because it doesn't have USB C passthrough on it. The main reason I want to get a bluetooth adapter is for playing on an airplane, and I also plan on getting one of those battery packs to extend the life of the Switch because realistically it only gets like 3 hours.

This dude did just that with the battery pack I want, that clips onto the back, and it looks like a nice little setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07FY9CG76

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Despite the kind of limited game selection I think I'm going to grab a Switch finally around Black Friday because every time I see a Super Mario Odyssey video I think I have to play that. Especially the 2D stuff. But since I'm playing RDR2 right now I'm not in enough of a rush to keep me from waiting a month. That would be killer if someone would offer something like Switch plus one of SM Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, or The World Ends With You for $300. Though I'm guessing Gamestop will do their Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal on used games again for Thanksgiving.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Despite the kind of limited game selection I think I'm going to grab a Switch finally around Black Friday because every time I see a Super Mario Odyssey video I think I have to play that. Especially the 2D stuff. But since I'm playing RDR2 right now I'm not in enough of a rush to keep me from waiting a month. That would be killer if someone would offer something like Switch plus one of SM Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, or The World Ends With You for $300. Though I'm guessing Gamestop will do their Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal on used games again for Thanksgiving.
You might find a used switch with Mario for 300 on eBay. I snagged a used one with Zelda for 286 shipped.
Local Costco has switch and Mario for 349.
World ends with you reviews all say the controls suck on switch btw.