Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Can get one for $250 shipped...been holding out for a good deal holiday bundle but this is tempting.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Can get one for $250 shipped...been holding out for a good deal holiday bundle but this is tempting.
Considering that most of the country can't get one at all, I'd suggest jumping on that now while you can.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Dw19lgt.jpg

Finally found one. Was picking up a new external USB drive from BestBuy. Asked if they had a switch in stock, said they got one in 2 hours ago. I rushed over to the games section, sure enough 1 switch in stock. Asked about Pro Controllers. They had 2 Splatoon 2 Editions and 2 regular Pro controllers. Picked up 2 Splatoon 2 Editions and the last Link (Archer) Amiibo.

I bought a 256GB Samsung SD card from Amazon today. I'll be going all digital on the switch. So far I have bought Splatoon 2, Zelda BOTW, and Mario Kart 8 from the eShop

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
So, I had an idea while I was wishing I had gotten the Neon Switch instead, since I've seen several red and blue joy-cons in stock at various retailers. I've only ever seen one red (L/R), and at the time I didn't realize they would be rare, so I didn't buy it. So I would have been able to get a red set and a blue set of joycons if I'd gone that route.

So, my idea is that I'm thinking of just buying the next Red and Blue Switch I see (I see them all the time in and around where I live.) Hear me out...an extra charger is $30, a grip is $15, a joycon set is $80 and, a dock is $90. If you plan on buying all those separately (and it's a BIG if, since arguably the grip is pretty useless, and the dock is overpriced), that's $215, which means you get a Switch for $85 and tax.

If you plan on playing any two player games in that head-2-head way they advertise on two Switches, it's not a bad deal, imo (barring the general consensus that everything is nickel and dimed with Nintendo tax anyway). Sure, you're paying $600, but myself being already invested with one, and needing some accessories, it seems a smart way to go. Thoughts?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It's worth it if you enjoy it. When I looked at the Switch, it was a few hours of work to pay for one which seemed like a good value. I don't fret the little things like gaming when it's a cheap hobby.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
After finishing Zelda (not 100%) it has been sitting and will continue to sit until mario. Kind of what I expected. To be fair though my PS4 hasn't been turned on since I finished horizon zero dawn either.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
After finishing Zelda (not 100%) it has been sitting and will continue to sit until mario. Kind of what I expected. To be fair though my PS4 hasn't been turned on since I finished horizon zero dawn either.

I have been struggling to find a game to really pull me in since HZD as well. I tried Arms and Splatoon 2, but those got old really quick. Started Persona 5 but it got overwhelming pretty quickly. I picked up the Switch version of Zelda so may try to play it again on the better hardware.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have been struggling to find a game to really pull me in since HZD as well. I tried Arms and Splatoon 2, but those got old really quick. Started Persona 5 but it got overwhelming pretty quickly. I picked up the Switch version of Zelda so may try to play it again on the better hardware.

Since you mentioned persona 5 I have to take back what I said before. I did finish that with the true ending which was after horizon zero dawn. Still after I finished persona 5 I have not turned on my PS4 which is quite a while now. It is a bit overwhelming though when you start off that's for sure. Haven't played either console for a while. Have been playing stuff that I got cheap for pc though to pass my free time.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So, I had an idea while I was wishing I had gotten the Neon Switch instead, since I've seen several red and blue joy-cons in stock at various retailers. I've only ever seen one red (L/R), and at the time I didn't realize they would be rare, so I didn't buy it. So I would have been able to get a red set and a blue set of joycons if I'd gone that route.

So, my idea is that I'm thinking of just buying the next Red and Blue Switch I see (I see them all the time in and around where I live.) Hear me out...an extra charger is $30, a grip is $15, a joycon set is $80 and, a dock is $90. If you plan on buying all those separately (and it's a BIG if, since arguably the grip is pretty useless, and the dock is overpriced), that's $215, which means you get a Switch for $85 and tax.

If you plan on playing any two player games in that head-2-head way they advertise on two Switches, it's not a bad deal, imo (barring the general consensus that everything is nickel and dimed with Nintendo tax anyway). Sure, you're paying $600, but myself being already invested with one, and needing some accessories, it seems a smart way to go. Thoughts?

Why do you want a 2nd set of joycons? For that price you might as well get a pro controller. I find the joycons fine as a pack-in controller, and necessary for portable mode, but definitely not comfortable enough to pay full price for a whole 2nd set... let alone getting an entire new switch AND a spare set of joycons just to get matching colors when you already have a grey set.

That's just madness. While I don't prefer the neon colors I got, I do like having them be different colors so I know which side is which easier. It's not that hard to tell them apart, but it's just nice to know.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Why do you want a 2nd set of joycons? For that price you might as well get a pro controller. I find the joycons fine as a pack-in controller, and necessary for portable mode, but definitely not comfortable enough to pay full price for a whole 2nd set... let alone getting an entire new switch AND a spare set of joycons just to get matching colors when you already have a grey set.

That's just madness. While I don't prefer the neon colors I got, I do like having them be different colors so I know which side is which easier. It's not that hard to tell them apart, but it's just nice to know.
I typed out a response for you, but upon seeing how long it was, I decided I'm just mad.

In short, need them for certain games, game modes, playstyles, etc. Need a spare so I can send my gray ones in to be fixed. I'm a completionist; I want to collect everything. And, yes, I too am not happy with how much they cost.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There are some really good games on the eShop and they are like $10 - $20 too. I have found that after Zelda, I've primarily been playing my Switch when I'm in air planes. It makes the flights go by super fast. I've played a few games while at home though but typically it's right before/after a trip since I have that game on my mind.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Namco Museum is really fun, but of course only get it if you have a mild interest in those old games.

I haven't played Pacman Vs since the GameCube days and it's still insanely fun.

Galaga is still so damn fun to play plus a few others I've never played but it's worth the price imo.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I finally found one at Target while doing some back to school shopping. I bought the gray Switch along with Zelda. :)

Reactions: Sonikku

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Finally got back into the Switch and Zelda last week., HZD really took up most of my game time. I had put Zelda down for so long I thought I would have restart but nope, digging the exploration on it. Also racking up $$$ with the gambling exploit so I can buy the best of the best.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm not sure what the gambling exploit is, but if you've come across the bowling minigame, that's the best thing I've found for making rupees.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
I'm guessing the gambling exploit is playing the treasure chest game in Lurelin village and then restoring your game if you guess wrong.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I never found "being short on rupees" an issue in zelda at all. I never did any of those "cheats" to get a lot either. I just got a lot of rocks and sold them.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I never found "being short on rupees" an issue in zelda at all. I never did any of those "cheats" to get a lot either. I just got a lot of rocks and sold them.

I have a hoarding problem in games, so I hate selling anything. That means finding other ways to make rupees.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm guessing the gambling exploit is playing the treasure chest game in Lurelin village and then restoring your game if you guess wrong.

Yep. Racked up tons of rupees.

Ah, I see. Bowling is faster than that, IMO. A strike is the same amount of rupees and you don't have to reload 2/3rds of the time. With a little practice, I was hitting a strike nearly every time.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I have an important announcement to make. *ahem*

You will soon be able to RIP AND TEAR on your Nintendo Switch.

Also, shoot Nazis in the face.

That is all.