Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I agree. I tried the joycon grip for all of 10 seconds before I put it back in the box forever. If I ever do two player games at home I would feel bad only having one pro controller lol. Thinking of grabbing another pro controller eventually. I usually have two controllers for all my consoles whether I use them a lot or not.
That's the reason I haven't rebought MK8 even though battle mode and having it on the go would be great. The thought of having to buy 3 more pro controllers is painful. I already have pro controllers for the Wii U. Nintendo really should have made them functional w/ the Switch.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Just picked one up, found it at the local grocery store. Looking at accessories that I'll want. The pro controller is pricey, so I might not jump on that right now.

I did find this 3rd party charging grip that looks good though. It has an actual battery in the grip itself, so it seems more useful than the official nintendo one:
https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Con-Char...7K/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1499564035&sr=8-10
The grip included with the system doesn’t have a battery, but the first-party one sold in stores includes a battery and a USB-A to USB-C cable. It’s confusing because third party junk (like Power A) and some decent third party stuff (like Hori) have packaging deliberately designed to be confused with Nintendo’s first-party stuff.

Still, don’t bother. Just get the Pro Controller.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yup, I can't play anything but simple games with the Joycon grip. They just suck as normal controllers. Pro Controller is the only way to play.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Well, I may get one eventually. Right now I'm going with the "ignorance is bliss" mindset and making due with what I have.

I played some Zelda today in mobile mode and on the TV, and they both looked great. Despite the annoyance with charging the joycons and the less than stellar ergonomics, I'm actually impressed with how well the system works when changing between the different modes. No hiccups with the controllers or screen of any kind.

We've also been playing Mario kart with half a joycon each. It's definitely cramped, but works well enough for now.

I'm very glad I got the thing. I can see making more use of it than I originally expected, and fits a nice gap that the PS4 can't always fill easily if the TV is occupied. Remote play through my Surface is serviceable, but not great.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah the pro controller is a must IMO. The grip feels like a cheap attempt at trying to make a "real" controller. It feels as flimsy and cheap as the dock.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
That's what I'm doing because I refuse to pay $70 for a controller. Nintendo is seriously price gouging on peripherals.
Using it as a full controller isn't that bad. The only thing that's getting old is using the tiny little half joycon each for Mario kart. As a full controller it's not bad.

I'm sure as soon as I get a pro controller I'll wonder how I made due without it, but I'm fine for now.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I don't like how it doesn't really let you select a profile if you're playing to players on the console. We both made a profile and Mii to use, but when we start the game I'm only allowed to select my profile. So all of the progress tracked is only for me even though she's been playing too. Seems like there should be a way for her to use her profile while playing too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't like how it doesn't really let you select a profile if you're playing to players on the console. We both made a profile and Mii to use, but when we start the game I'm only allowed to select my profile. So all of the progress tracked is only for me even though she's been playing too. Seems like there should be a way for her to use her profile while playing too.

I haven't looked into it but can you select a profile when you turn it on or before you start a game? I only made one Profile so I don't know how that works.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I haven't looked into it but can you select a profile when you turn it on or before you start a game? I only made one Profile so I don't know how that works.

He's saying that he selects his profile at the start of the game, but when another player joins in, that person cannot select their own profile.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
He's saying that he selects his profile at the start of the game, but when another player joins in, that person cannot select their own profile.

I didn't see where he mentioned playing co-op etc. I read it as there's one main profile and there wasn't a way to switch profiles when a game is running.

This is something Nintendo is way behind on. When I turn on a PS4 controller it asks me who is playing and allows me top select a second profile or play as guest.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That's the reason I haven't rebought MK8 even though battle mode and having it on the go would be great. The thought of having to buy 3 more pro controllers is painful.

One alternative to a pile of Pro Controllers is the official Mario Kart wheels. Even if you don't use motion controls the wheels make each Joycon feel like a substantial and comfortable controller. I use the wheels when I play two player Tetris too. They are that good.

That's what I'm doing because I refuse to pay $70 for a controller. Nintendo is seriously price gouging on peripherals.

It has already gone on sale at a few places. Its $6 off on Amazon right now for example.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bingo

You can select different profiles to start a game, but I don't think there's any way of picking a player 2 profile.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just picked up the Gunvolt game and the Wonder Boy Dragon game from the eshop to play on my flights tomorrow and Thursday. I heard pretty good things about both. I tried Gunvolt a little bit and it felt really mega-man'ish, which is good. The controls felt very tight which I was really happy about. Haven't tried the other game yet though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I ended up getting the pro controller today, much quicker than expected. I had 40 bucks to best buy to use and didn't have anything else I could think of. I could have waited on a sale to get it even cheaper, but I'm okay with it now. Haven't used it yet though

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I ended up getting the pro controller today, much quicker than expected. I had 40 bucks to best buy to use and didn't have anything else I could think of. I could have waited on a sale to get it even cheaper, but I'm okay with it now. Haven't used it yet though
Do the recent shipments of Pro controllers still have the hidden message?

I can confirm my launch day Pro Controller has the message.

Should be a USB-A to USB-C cable in the box too.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
So, the Switch Companion app sounds like it's going to be a disaster for online chat. Basically renders your phone useless while gaming and drains the battery since it can't go into stand by or you drop connection. Similar to how Pokemon GO operated when first launched.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
So, the Switch Companion app sounds like it's going to be a disaster for online chat. Basically renders your phone useless while gaming and drains the battery since it can't go into stand by or you drop connection. Similar to how Pokemon GO operated when first launched.
R0jrgmF.png

Reactions: NTMBK and Tweak155

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Yikes, sounds bad. Guess you gotta tether your phone to a charger

Or if you have an iPhone 7 you need another dongle or bluethooth. All of that would be fine, but the fact that your phone isn't usable outside the app is the biggest limiting factor.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The fact that Nintendo still uses friend codes tells me they aren't close to being ready for any type of serious online gaming. I'm not too concerned about the app because I'm not going to be going online with my Switch, and if I do, I'm not interested in talking to people. Mario Kart was better online than I expected, but I basically played it just to try it. That game is way too random to play online for me anyways because it's not about being good to win, it's about being lucky for the most part.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
Getting Splatoon in the mail today. Anyone want to get together and play?

Have zero idea on how to connect with people but maybe we can get a whatsapp group running or something.