Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
r3iokt2pc1asklpfscix.png

So they expect us to play like this? Sorry but this console shows they haven't learned a thing from the WiiU.

I'm surprised it didn't tip over.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
How does this even look usable for anyone who weighs more than 100lbs? It's barely longer than his thumb.

First_Look_at_Nintendo_Switch_-_YouTube_-_Google_Chrome_2016-10-20_10-13-34-1-980x551.jpg

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
This could be a good idea if there was a GPU in the base, but because they show the games just transitioning to the mobile part it doesn't look like that is the case (if it can transition like that I will be VERY impressed). Nintendo really has only had any success in mobile these days, so I am not surprised they are trying to work on where they have been successful.

Honestly, they really have no chance competing with Sony/MS in the traditional console world, even if they did everything right.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Wow, that intro video looks terrible. I'm half wondering if they are catering to the Asian market, but then it's an american song playing throughout? And clearly a whole hosts of different nationalities portrayed throughout. I'm confused right now.

I grew up with SNES and N64... I like the Wii U... but this doesn't even look like a second thought in my mind.

SunnyNW

Jul 11, 2016
Not sure why no one is saying anything about the name really..."Hey do you have your Switch with you? Dont forget to grab your Switch, son..."

I personally feel like its a pretty bad name and is not going to be very marketable. The N-E-S, Super Nes, N64, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and now you have the Switch...Really? They should have just stuck with NX or maybe something similar.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm not going to knock what they are going for..it's an interesting approach, however I imagine none of those controllers, connecters, etc are goign to be very durable if used as intended over long periods of time.

I also think that the people they are marketing for....aren't going to be interested because they are just going to play on their phones.

I actually think it's the opposite...touch control generally stink, it's so much nice to have physical, tactile controls, but nobody does it right. There's a huge list of Android games that support it, but only some games support gamepads, not all, and Bluetooth gamepads can be finicky sometimes...plus you have to carry it with you, instead of docking it to the sides of a controller pad or tablet.

I am curious about charging. Are they putting a battery in the gamepad docking square? If so, will it charge from both the gamepad & the tablet? Or do you plug in each unit individually? (left & right) What would be smart is to have a charging tray that you can simply toss the left & right controllers on, so if you have 4 players, they can all just dump their 8 controllers onto the Qi charging pad without having to plug in Micro-USB's or whatever they opt to use. Or maybe they just a pair of AAA batteries or something.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Oh boy, just what I wanted! More micro controllers that barely fit the hands of a teenager.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Not sure why no one is saying anything about the name really..."Hey do you have your Switch with you? Dont forget to grab your Switch, son..."

I personally feel like its a pretty bad name and is not going to be very marketable. The N-E-S, Super Nes, N64, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, and now you have the Switch...Really? They should have just stuck with NX or maybe something similar.

Haha, that does sound dumb! I did like saying "Nintendo" back in the day because it's a fun word, easy to say, short, and unique. "Mom, can I play Nintendo over to Jimmy's house?" Yeah..."I'm gonna go get my Switch on". Sounds like the latest name for a street drug lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
How does this even look usable for anyone who weighs more than 100lbs? It's barely longer than his thumb.

I thought maybe it would work by hand pressure (the space between the palms of your hands), but I just made a mockup & it's not very comfortable at all. I couldn't take a picture with two hands, but you get the idea...hopefully the ergonomics on the actual controller better lol:

AWWSHwm.jpg

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I thought maybe it would work by hand pressure (the space between the palms of your hands), but I just made a mockup & it's not very comfortable at all. I couldn't take a picture with two hands, but you get the idea...hopefully the ergonomics on the actual controller better lol:

AWWSHwm.jpg
Maybe they'll get Trump to be the spokesperson.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tell that to the millions of people playing on their cell phones.

Yeah, but it's a bit different...I can hold my phone in one hand & use my fingers with the other, or use my thumbs to slide around the screen in two-handed mode. The Switch controller has a joystick & pushbuttons, so whereas on a phone, your palm & thumb would effectively hold the phone in place, you're going to be lifting & moving your fingers off the buttons, so nothing will be stopping gravity for a split-second. Again, I'll have to see how the hands-on is...I don't imagine they'd release a cramped, carpal-inducing controller, but that's sure what it looks like lol.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So we know it won't even be close to PS4/Xbox One power since it's based on a Tegra X1 chipset even if it gets more powerful with the dock. Portable means no active cooling aka fans so the base unit with the screen won't be powerful at all. Even if they use another Tegra chip in the dock it still won't be as powerful as 3yr old consoles.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/1...he-nintendo-switch-be-xbox-one-ps4-comparison

While Tegra’s specifications are competitive with more modern hardware, its roots as a mobile chipset — designed for small form factor devices powered by batteries, rather than the power supplies in consoles and PCs — makes direct comparisons difficult, and not encouraging. The laws of physics make it hard for devices designed to run on batteries that will fit in a small form factor device — like a tablet, for example — output performance on par with devices that don’t have that constraint. A "faster" processor in a mobile device will have difficulty competing with a "slower" box plugged into your wall. Even if the Nintendo Switch's dock provides a power boost for the system’s SoC, it’s unlikely to boost it to anything remotely resembling the PS4 or the Xbox One. So it’s time to come to terms with that — and, potentially, to get excited for another new, different thing from Nintendo.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
As a 50 year old gamer with dispensable income (sorta) I am very interested in this! The idea, while risky, is what we gamers really want: A truly portable good gaming platform!

Reactions: Red Hawk

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
As a 50 year old gamer with dispensable income (sorta) I am very interested in this! The idea, while risky, is what we gamers really want: A truly portable good gaming platform!
Portable with horrible battery life. There's no way it's going to have good battery life at all.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Serious question here: Aside from kids in the back of the SUV, how many people want a portable gaming system? I guess if you're taking long public transportation rides, but that's not a huge percentage of the US population. Do you folks like to go sit in the park or coffee shop and game (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that). I've got nice monitors and a projector, so I want to game on those. I literally can't think of any time I'd use the mobile feature.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Did you guys notice how the frame rate noticeably dropped when they pulled it out of docking mode and played in handheld mode? That tells me that the games will run like crap when taking it on the go or they will have to look worse when playing on your TV. Also It's supposedly using some custom Tegra based chip, I have Shield TV and the games on that that aren't streamed look pretty bad by today's standards if you ask me. Games that are very good for PS3 level graphics(Like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance) look jaggy, have blurry textures by comparison, and lower draw distances. I saw Half-Life 2 on it and that looked very bad compared to the PC game I remember, even way back when it launched. I don't have much hope that a new Tegra chip will some how be able to keep up with a XB1 or PS4. I know a good game doesn't need to have eye melting graphics but it's a big part of what makes a quality game release these days, to have a game engine that appears modern.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Serious question here: Aside from kids in the back of the SUV, how many people want a portable gaming system? I guess if you're taking long public transportation rides, but that's not a huge percentage of the US population. Do you folks like to go sit in the park or coffee shop and game (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that). I've got nice monitors and a projector, so I want to game on those. I literally can't think of any time I'd use the mobile feature.

I had a Vita and a 3DS and I played them on the crapper or while I was sitting around the house. I did not play them much in the car or on the go. I think I played a game when I was on a road trip a total of twice.

The only thing the Switch will do is kill the vita permanently. I am going to refuse to buy the switch because it's got every gimmick I can think of rolled into one with pretty weak projected specs.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

I think it's going to be for kids in school & for millennials who want portability. If some of the other guys in my office get one for stuff like Mario Kart, I'll definitely pick one up for some lunchtime gaming haha.

What I don't like is that the console isn't plugged into your TV 24/7 as a fixture. If you forget your Switch tablet at work or a friend's house, you can no longer play your games on your TV until you dock it again. That could get pretty annoying if you're forgetful...

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I get what Nintendo is trying to do here with Switch for portability.

But people game on smartphones because they already have to carry around the smartphone which is the #1 ubiquitous device for everyone.

Will people really truly carry this thing around for gaming ON TOP of their smartphone? That is the big question which will determine the success or the utter failure of Switch.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I get what Nintendo is trying to do here with Switch for portability.

But people game on smartphones because they already have to carry around the smartphone which is the #1 ubiquitous device for everyone.

Will people really truly carry this thing around for gaming ON TOP of their smartphone? That is the big question which will determine the success or the utter failure of Switch.

No, I think its portability is for gaming with friends. I remember days when I would lug my gaming PC to a friends house to coop game. There used to be a term for this but it escapes me at the moment.