Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
What happens if I "already own" Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U (which I actually do)? Will I get to download it for free on the Switch?

ha ha ha ha.

We're talking about the company that expects you to pony up $5 for NES Zelda on your 3DS only to ask you to pay $5 AGAIN to have it on Wii U. They want to milk you with every system. It's too bad too. I would probably rebuy my entire cartridge collection digitally if I could play them all on whatever new Nintendo system I have. Instead I don't won't buy any of them ever.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wonder how the specs compare to the Wii U so I can know what the expect from the next Zelda game.

Ars is estimating (based upon it using a Tegra X2) that it will probably be slightly better than the Wii U at 1080p gaming, but weaker than the PS4 and X1.

The controller sure look small, I assume they will have some kind of motion detection like the wii's controller?

It could use them, as you could always disconnect the Joy-Con controllers from whatever they're connected to, but requiring motion controls seems like it would really hamper the on-the-go playstyle that they're trying to push. Just thinking about their video, it'd work for the at home scenarios that they showed, but most of the outside ones would probably not work well.

The two problems are: space for movement and screen size. If you want to play something like Just Dance, you're going to need space, and some on-the-go scenarios simply don't afford that. That also gets into the other problem in that Ars estimates that this is essentially a 7" tablet, which means that you really can't distance yourself that far from it and actually use the screen.

That actually made me think of an interesting point... games designed for small screens are generally not the same as games designed for larger screens (i.e. TVs). I'm not talking about mechanics like actual platforming vs. endless runners, but rather things like UI elements. Referencing my statement of "actually use the screen" above, I wondered, "Will it be easy to spot certain UI elements on the screen? Will they have to adjust the design based upon whether it's docked or not?"

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So now we have confirmation that it is not going to be a powerful console at all. The dock does not add any extra power or cooling or storage to the system, it is just a charging stand/TV output stand. We are obviously not getting even close to comparable graphics to PS4/Xbox One.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power
Jesus Christ so this is just a glorified successor to the 3DS with a docking station.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's quite literally not, by any stretch of the imagination. Where are you confused? Help me help you.

Besides - that article doesn't confirm what you're saying. Did you actually read what Nintendo said? They're just clarifying that this isn't the same as the Wii U, that the handheld can be completely independent of the base station. That's all they're confirming.

LOL Sorry, I just read what I posted. I meant successor not predecessor. So replace predecessor with successor in the sentence of mine you quoted and that is what I meant, and that is basically exactly what it is.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well based on the trailer I would say that the doc does add more power, because it's pretty obvious when they go from TV -> portable and stuff that the framerate takes a hit on portable. However, even with that, I still don't buy that it's actual gameplay footage they are showing for anything ,at least it's not those people actually playing it and is just overlaid stock footage.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh yeah, there is zero chance that's real gameplay footage. The framerate complaints are absolutely baffling to me. The fact that the framerate of footage some intern pasted in in post means quite literally nothing whatsoever.
It's still weird that it's noticeably worse in framerate on portable vs. non-portable though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It doesn't matter what it is. This isn't a video that went out to just some tech sites, this was put out on YouTube for the entire world to see. You don't put out something that can misrepresent your product... especially when there are no "product not final" or "early version of game" warnings!

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Day one buy for me. Casual gaming console bring it on. I have no time anymore for xboxes and playstations.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Day one buy for me. Casual gaming console bring it on. I have no time anymore for xboxes and playstations.
I'll probably get it too, only for Zelda as I'm a huge Zelda fan and that's the reason why I never bought the WiiU. If they would have released a Zelda on the WiiU, I along with many others would have bought a WiiU.

WiiU is the first Nintendo console since NES that I've never owned, well other than Virtuaboy but nobody ever counts that.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
If I want big frame rates at high res with super graphics I play on my pc. This gen of consoles are nothing more than gimped PC's. The Switch is a casual console which a lot of the video gaming population is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Red Hawk

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
I'll probably get it too, only for Zelda as I'm a huge Zelda fan and that's the reason why I never bought the WiiU. If they would have released a Zelda on the WiiU, I along with many others would have bought a WiiU.

WiiU is the first Nintendo console since NES that I've never owned, well other than Virtuaboy but nobody ever counts that.
Wii U was a weird console but I own one. I think the Switch is what Nintendo wanted to do all along with Wii U but couldn't because of the tech available.

Using carts makes so much sense too. Flash memory is dirt cheap now and much faster than disc drives.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Rumors are that the battery life is only 3 hours. Also the thickness in the device shown is supposed to be somewhere around 14-15 mm. To give you an idea of a comparison, the Shield tablet is 9 mm and the original iPad is 13.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Rumors are that the battery life is only 3 hours. Also the thickness in the device shown is supposed to be somewhere around 14-15 mm. To give you an idea of a comparison, the Shield tablet is 9 mm and the original iPad is 13.
That thickness sounds about right. No active cooling means it'd have to have thicker heat sinks. You don't want active cooling in a portable system.

Oct 30, 2013
Don't understand all the hate. This system looks fantastic. I mainly play PC games and this looks like something I could really get behind.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Don't understand all the hate. This system looks fantastic. I mainly play PC games and this looks like something I could really get behind.
The problem is this is more of a tablet then a console playing modern games even at the lower quality we see from the current gen of xbox 1 / ps4 when compared to a pc.

Nintendo has not been a power in graphics department for the past 20 years easy for consoles and this won't come close to it as from what we saw.

Not to mention the controls for a lot of pc games are horrible on consoles other than a select few such as racing and sports games really.

The one area nintendo has shined for a long time really is the mobile devices and it looks like this is simply a upgraded version instead of a full fledged console device.

My biggest issue was where they placed the stand on the back of the device on just one side and it looks very unstable as you would think they would have the stand on both sides but it seems it was only on the one side unless I missed something.

It looks like it will fall over with a small gust of wind:

Nintendo_Switch_stand_airplane.jpg

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Nintendo products tend to be pretty well made and durable.

Actually the hinge on the DS was a weak point and they do break quite frequently. Mostly from negligent children who drop it, step on it, fight over it etc. lol