Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Haven't had any scratching on my switch from the dock but I still ordered myself a sweet sock because why not.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/517421419/nintendo-switch-red-m-themed-dock-sock?ref=shop_home_feat_1

il_570xN.1207308743_pc60.jpg

Reactions: purbeast0

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
So wait, there is an early version SP and a later revision of the SP? I had no idea.
Yeah. The "-101" model had a "now with brighter screen!" note on the front of the box. The backlight looks great, like GB Micro. Also, the -101 model can only toggle brightness levels and can't turn the lighting off completely like the earlier -001 model could. It's more desirable not only because the screen looks better, but because a lot of people like to mod their regular non-SP GBA to have an awesome backlit screen.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Haven't had any scratching on my switch from the dock but I still ordered myself a sweet sock because why not.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/517421419/nintendo-switch-red-m-themed-dock-sock?ref=shop_home_feat_1

il_570xN.1207308743_pc60.jpg
Damn that is actually a pretty good idea I might get one of those, I've been playing mine in portable mode a lot more than ever expected and I put it in the base to charge it. I've been very careful about putting it on the dock but having that extra protection seems useful.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
I remember it being hyped as a 32 bit portable and was picture PS1 level graphics. >.> And then it was like a Super Nintendo with inferior audio.

I remember this as well, and being terribly disappoint when I saw the games at launch. I did get one when SMB advance 2 came out. Portable Mario world was awesome.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I somehow knew what GBA games would look like. I think all the pre-release stuff showed SNES-class games like F-Zero and Super Mario Advance (which kinda looked like a ROM hack of the SNES game, using most of the same resource data). I couldn't wait for it to be released in the USA, so I imported an arctic white GBA from Japan along with the Japanese version of F-Zero Maximum Velocity. It was awesome.

I guess "32 bit" just allowed for greater math precision. Mode 7 scaling and rotation looked far better than it did on SNES. Yoshi's Island was possible without requiring an FX co-processor chip (still lost the awesome morphmation effect of the SNES version :()

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I think there's value in calling it a "home console that you can take with you" instead of a "portable that connects to the tv also". There are different expectations of what games should should be on a handheld versus a home console. BotW is not something you think of when you think portable. While ultimately it is just a mindset and semantics there is something to be said for feeling like you are getting a full "couch" or AAA experience on the go.

I can also see a reason why they don't want to throw away the 3ds atm. I have a hard time handing over my switch to my 9yr old and a near impossible time giving it to the 3yr old. The 3ds? Eh, have at it. That thing is build like a tank. Most of the marketing that I have seen seems to be leaning that way as well where it's a bunch of 20 somethings playing it instead of the usual kids and family we saw for Wii marketing. We drove down to see my sister in law over the weekend, as we were leaving my 9yr old dropped his 3ds onto concrete and the protective case popped off, he dropped it again as soon as he picked it up without the case, and then again into a shallow puddle. The 3ds just takes a beating. I would have gone crazy if that was our Switch.

I love this damn thing. I'm with the rest of you, I really didn't think I'd spend a lot of time playing it in handheld mode as I can't stand playing on a 3ds, it's just too small. I'm constantly sitting in the living room playing it while the wife or kids watch or play something else. I'm playing it in bed while everyone else is asleep.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
They can't dump the 3DS yet, it's literally still making them tons of money and is what kept them afloat during the WiiU time. Pokémon made 3DS sales jump immensely so for the future they aren't killing it off anytime soon. Maybe sometime late next year at the earliest but no way it gets killed off this year.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I remember this as well, and being terribly disappoint when I saw the games at launch. I did get one when SMB advance 2 came out. Portable Mario world was awesome.
I remember being PISSED that Nintendo was selling Super Mario All Stars piecemeal and for full price each on the GBA. I bought them all, naturally. Then I was pissed at myself. :(

Being a Nintendo fan is an emotional roller coaster sometimes.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I can also see a reason why they don't want to throw away the 3ds atm. I have a hard time handing over my switch to my 9yr old and a near impossible time giving it to the 3yr old. The 3ds? Eh, have at it. That thing is build like a tank. Most of the marketing that I have seen seems to be leaning that way as well where it's a bunch of 20 somethings playing it instead of the usual kids and family we saw for Wii marketing. We drove down to see my sister in law over the weekend, as we were leaving my 9yr old dropped his 3ds onto concrete and the protective case popped off, he dropped it again as soon as he picked it up without the case, and then again into a shallow puddle. The 3ds just takes a beating. I would have gone crazy if that was our Switch.

That is exactly how Nintendo considers it- the 3DS is the cheap kids console and the Switch is the adult console. If anything that is a bigger distinction than portable vs not.

I think they will "officially" replace the 3DS (and move 100% to the Switch) after a Switch revision that is more portable. Takahashi basically said as much.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So to seems a piece of foam is Nintendo's fix for the Joycon Bluetooth issues

I spoke to Bill Detwiler, managing editor (and teardown guru) for our sister site TechRepublic, and he explained that it's likely a piece of conductive foam, which is foam that's been specially treated with nickel, copper or both so it can shield electronics from RF interference. (It's often used in portable electronics when there isn't space for a traditional shield.)

Unless we're totally mistaken, this piece of foam is sitting directly on top of the Joy-Con's antenna traces, too, which suggests that it's protecting the antenna from interference.

I even tried removing the foam, and sure enough: The controller stops working properly when it's not there. Seems like an open-and-shut case.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/22/14883604/nintendo-left-joy-con-repair

And official word from Nintendo finally. They are saying it's a manufacturing variance causing the Joycon issue not a defect. Well it sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

If you, like me and several other Kotaku staff, have run into a consistent left Switch JoyCon signal issue, don’t worry: Nintendo says it’s not in fact a hardware problem, but a “manufacturing variation.” The company also says to contact them for a fix if you’re running into the problem.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-joycon-wireless-issues-were-caused-by-man-1793530147

Last edited:

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
I am having a REALLY hard time seeing the value in a Switch. I have not bought a Wii U and I have no portables except my trustee Game Boy DMG-01 either. After seeing the Switch and having skipped the Wii U being underwhelmed, I have to say, I feel the same way still. Just, meh. Which is saying something since I have bought, and still have and play working originals of every single console Nintendo has put out up to the Wii. NES, SNES, N64, GameCube (well this one is currently at my brother's house, but I am in process of trying to get it back, I play the games on the Wii though), and of course, Wii.

Ive never cared for the handheld offerings from Nintendo but for the first one, always boggling at why they do what they do. Game Boy, fine, first one out of the gate, black and white, good battery life overall for the time, games are solid. Game Boy Color! Alright, a color scr... oh, it's color... but no backlight? COME ON! Skipped that one. Alright! Game Boy Advance! YES! Oh, its basically a rehashed SNES... and wtf... STILL no backlight? Nintendo what are you doing? Skipped that one too. Every other handheld since I've not cared for, for one reason or another. Now this, essentially releasing both a handheld and a home console at the same time.

I love Nintendo, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure how I feel about any of this yet. Maybe it's the right move, maybe it's just me, since most of those handhelds above did pretty well despite my misgivings about them. But I'm just not impressed. Yet. Games could change that. I withhold final judgment. But I'll admit, I'm not optimistic.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
As pretty much everyone in this thread has said over and over, if you don't care about Zelda, getting the Switch is pretty much pointless for the majority of people. You either think it's worth it for 1 game (right now) or it's not.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
And that one game can be played on a Wii U so no reason to upgrade even for the game...unless you don't own either system and want this game.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
And that one game can be played on a Wii U so no reason to upgrade even for the game...unless you don't own either system and want this game.

Unless you ride the train for two hours every day and have down time at work on top of that.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
In other news turns out the Joycon issues are a manufacturing problem and Nintendo admitted it and are replacing faulty ones:

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/03/22/nintendo-switch-joy-con-disconnect-variation/

I need to get on that my blue set has a terrible left Joycon. I never use it because one you get a pro controller the grip might as well be a damn Madcatz controller, but I will want it working well before ARMs comes out.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
In other news turns out the Joycon issues are a manufacturing problem and Nintendo admitted it and are replacing faulty ones:

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/03/22/nintendo-switch-joy-con-disconnect-variation/

I need to get on that my blue set has a terrible left Joycon. I never use it because one you get a pro controller the grip might as well be a damn Madcatz controller, but I will want it working well before ARMs comes out.

From what little I've read this seems more like us sending our joycons to Nintendo and waiting for them to come back. For me that is a terrible way to handle this. You got deep pockets Nintendo, eat the cost and ship everyone who submits a claim with an affected model # a free set of joycons. Build that good will.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
From what little I've read this seems more like us sending our joycons to Nintendo and waiting for them to come back. For me that is a terrible way to handle this. You got deep pockets Nintendo, eat the cost and ship everyone who submits a claim with an affected model # a free set of joycons. Build that good will.

I feel the same way. My left joycon is wonky, so I will have to send it in, but not until I'm done with Zelda. I play on portable mode 80% of the time, so I'll have to wait; I guess.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I noticed yesterday I have a small scratch on the bottom left of my screen that doesn't really go onto the screen but it's on the glass over the bezel part. It has to be from the damn dock. I charge my switch in the dock but am very careful about putting it in and out. I can't believe even being careful it scratched so easily. What a complete disaster the dock is for this thing.