Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
It's retarded that Nintendo basically obligates you to buy an sd card because in this day and age 32gb isn't nearly enough. I could probably fit 9-10 games on my PS4's default hdd. Good luck fitting ten Switch games on what Nintendo gives you. This system nickel and dimes fans harder than any machine I've ever seen Nintendo release.

Yeah, only 32 GB of storage is just not sufficient in 2017. But interestingly, during his teardown of the Switch, Ben Heck found that the internal storage is on an entirely separate board from the rest of the device. This would make it very easy for Nintendo to swap out the storage for a higher capacity in future revisions of the Switch. So, I'm pretty sure you can expect to see a higher capacity model in a year or two. Really, I think Nintendo could have done that to start with. Apple does it with the iPad and people seem to understand it, don't see why Nintendo couldn't do the same.

Anyways. Preordered the console, been playing it for a couple weeks now. I'm happy with the actual design and profile of the thing. I noticed in some unboxing videos people were commenting "It's so small!" But to me, it's kind of big for a handheld. I'm used to playing the 3DS XL on the go, and the main tablet part of the Switch alone is longer and wider than the XL (when closed). So it's big for a handheld, but not unwieldy. The joycons are really nice and fit my hands perfectly (full disclosure, I do have kind of small hands). I bought a pro controller for use at home, but I actually ended up using the joycons in docked mode quite a bit. Not in the joycon grip, that sucks, but rather just holding them separately. At the one big Switch reveal press conference, one of the Nintendo devs demonstrated that you could lie on a couch and "release the tension" with each joycon held separately. It looked silly at the time, but it really is true. It's just more relaxing to be able to rest your hands independently of each other when playing a game.

As for games, I've only purchased Breath of the Wild. And it's every bit as awesome as I could have hoped it to be, obviously. People have criticized the Switch's launch lineup, but here's the thing. I think with such a huge launch title as Breath of the Wild, any other big game released right now would be overshadowed. BotW is such a huge timesink and such a huge appeal on its own, that anyone playing BotW would have no time for something else. And everyone with a Switch is playing BotW. It's not like there's nothing else to do on the Switch if you really want -- games like Snipperclips and Fast RMX make for fun distractions -- I've tried Fast RMX on my brother's Switch, it really is fun -- but the main course is still BotW. And clearly BotW was all the Switch needed to have a solid launch, going by sales numbers. If something like, say Splatoon 2 was available on launch, it would just be cannibalized by BotW for no clear benefit. In a few months, when everyone has had their fill of BotW, then will be a great time to continue trickling games onto the Switch for people to buy. I think Nintendo delaying BotW so it could launch on the Switch was the best decision they've made in years (also because it likely gave them more time for QA testing and bugfixing -- it's rather startling how expansive the game is and how comprehensive its physics systems are, and I have yet to come across a noticeable bug. Bethesda, take notes!), and clearing the launch window so the only big game was BotW may have just been the second best.

I've actually been playing my Switch A LOT in my living room.

And the thing is, that means in portable mode, because my dock is downstairs in my home theater. I've played it probably 90% portable mode and 10% docked since I've owned it. Prior to owning it, I LOL'd at the portable mode and said I would never use it.

But damn, it's just so damn convenient especially when I have a toddler I have to watch around the house. And how fast the thing goes into/out of sleep mode is faster than unlocking your phone, so you can put it down in the blink of an eye and pick it right back up in the same time frame.

Yep. I've seen quite a few comments from reviewers who have been taken by surprise with just how appealing playing the Switch in handheld mode is. And it's just impressive to be able to play a game like BotW on the go. Me personally, I was always going to get good use out of handheld mode because I recently started a job where I ride the train to Washington DC an hour in and an hour out every day. And on top of that I have a whole bunch of downtime at this job where I'm free to do whatever. But even at home, the device feels so slick and comfortable to hold and the screen is plenty vibrant that I've found I spent most of my time just playing it lounging around in bed.

Purely from a form factor, build quality, and aesthetics perspective, I think Nintendo hit a home run with this thing.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I said before that this would be great as "the most powerful mobile gaming system ever". I just think a few things Nintendo is doing with it are a little... odd I guess I'd say. We've been over these things like marketing it as a home console when you have more powerful home systems available, internal storage limitations, friend codes again, online gaming requiring your mobile device. Stuff like that. I also really, really want to know if the next Pokemon games will be on the 3DS or the Switch or both. I mean at some point they will abandon the 3DS and I have to wonder if the switch is going to be the device to replace it as a few of us have speculated will happen. If so, will we be seeing some of the 3DS staples come over? That's something I'd be really interested in knowing.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I said before that this would be great as "the most powerful mobile gaming system ever". I just think a few things Nintendo is doing with it are a little... odd I guess I'd say. We've been over these things like marketing it as a home console when you have more powerful home systems available, internal storage limitations, friend codes again, online gaming requiring your mobile device. Stuff like that. I also really, really want to know if the next Pokemon games will be on the 3DS or the Switch or both. I mean at some point they will abandon the 3DS and I have to wonder if the switch is going to be the device to replace it as a few of us have speculated will happen. If so, will we be seeing some of the 3DS staples come over? That's something I'd be really interested in knowing.

Well as far as marketing goes...

Seems pretty straightforward here. Presented as a handheld system first, then shown to be able to easily connect to your TV.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Well as far as marketing goes...

Seems pretty straightforward here. Presented as a handheld system first, then shown to be able to easily connect to your TV.
But it's not that straightforward. Nintendo themselves say it's a home console first that you can take on the go, not the other way around.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Where do they say this?

http://www.gamespot.com/amp-article...nsole-at-heart-not-a-3ds-replac/1100-6446967/

http://www.shacknews.com/article/97...and-foremost-not-necessarily-successor-to-3ds

They are creating a bit of a problem with this idea that they will continue to support the 3DS. Now they have two systems that can be used in a totally portable fashion and you won't likely be carrying both with you on the go. I understand that they don't want to drop the 3DS with its huge sales numbers and install base and pushing the switch as a home system helps keep the 3DS relevant for whatever games they are releasing or going to announce for it. Though I think many people will view the switch the other way as you have, a portable system you can dock to the tv.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

Well for one, the context of both these interviews is that the Switch is not a replacement or successor to the 3DS. Frankly I think that's kind of BS, but it's BS that Nintendo has to spread from a business perspective because so many people have 3DSes and they don't want consumers losing confidence in the 3DS just yet. At least not until it's clear that the Switch is a success in its own right.

Second, these are interviews. I think the commercials that millions of people around the world are going to see is a clearer picture of how Nintendo is marketing the Switch than a couple of interviews that a handful of people are going to read.

Reactions: preslove

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Doesn't matter. When the main guy at Nintendo of America says it's a home console it sends a clear message that is not backed up by the hardware they are presenting us.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Doesn't matter. When the main guy at Nintendo of America says it's a home console it sends a clear message that is not backed up by the hardware they are presenting us.

He said it's a home console you can take on the go. Which is more or less true.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Note that is NOT the same as a portable that hooks up to the tv. The way they word it is very important.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Note that is NOT the same as a portable that hooks up to the tv. The way they word it is very important.

Is it though? Seems like you're arguing semantics as opposed to how the console actually functions and is being marketed as functioning.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No it matters because it is how Nintendo will treat it and how the games will actually be. The system can function differently in portable mode with touch screen vs on the tv where you don't have that option. The games they create and the ones from 3rd parties will determine how they use the functionality and telling everyone they want it to be viewed as a home console first might mean the games will be created with the tv in mind first. Which is fine but it's a distinction that will affect the creation of the games.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Good because touch controls for any non-mobile video games is stupid and gimmicky. Anyone who has a Switch and says it's a console first is either delusional or in denial. The thing is CLEARLY a portable console that can be connected to a larger display to feel more like a traditional console. I mean the thing is called a "dock" and that is all it does - docks and lets you connect accessories to it to make it feel like a traditional console, just like a docking station for a laptop. Connect a laptop and use your monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. Undock it and use it in laptop mode. Same thing here. The fact we get no more horse power or even a damn ethernet jack on the dock is pathetic though. Just goes to show you how barebones the dock is.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
No it matters because it is how Nintendo will treat it and how the games will actually be. The system can function differently in portable mode with touch screen vs on the tv where you don't have that option. The games they create and the ones from 3rd parties will determine how they use the functionality and telling everyone they want it to be viewed as a home console first might mean the games will be created with the tv in mind first. Which is fine but it's a distinction that will affect the creation of the games.

A game system that can be connected to a TV will have games created for it with playing on the TV in mind.

I don't see the problem with this.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A game system that can be connected to a TV will have games created for it with playing on the TV in mind.

There isn't but it's clear Nintendo doesn't want 3rd parties making their portable games for the switch and dropping the 3DS support.

My question is about the future and whether we will see 3DS titles cross over to the switch with its better capabilities. Nintendo seems to want to push that idea to the side and not do that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Good because touch controls for any non-mobile video games is stupid and gimmicky. Anyone who has a Switch and says it's a console first is either delusional or in denial. The thing is CLEARLY a portable console that can be connected to a larger display to feel more like a traditional console. I mean the thing is called a "dock" and that is all it does - docks and lets you connect accessories to it to make it feel like a traditional console, just like a docking station for a laptop. Connect a laptop and use your monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. Undock it and use it in laptop mode. Same thing here. The fact we get no more horse power or even a damn ethernet jack on the dock is pathetic though. Just goes to show you how barebones the dock is.

Which brings us full circle and shows how trying to talk about it as a home console first and foremost is kind of an odd thing. As I said I understand that Nintendo doesn't want to kill the 3DS now but I don't see how they can both exist as they are. If there is 3rd party support for the switch that doesn't exist on the 3DS and lots of companies start moving their projects to the switch it could cannibalize the 3DS over time and drown Nintendo's hopes to keep it alive. This is why I am interested to know if we will start to see some crossover.

Nintendo is just being outwardly confusing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
We already have Wii U ports hitting the Switch. Next up 3DS ports! They have to keep up with the HD-remake gen of the PS4 and X1.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
We already have Wii U ports hitting the Switch. Next up 3DS ports! They have to keep up with the HD-remake gen of the PS4 and X1.

Lol yeah but I don't mean ports. I mean games that were going to be for the 3DS that are moved over for a switch release instead. Nintendo seems insistent that the 3DS is still going to be supported and that they have many releases lined up but it may only take a small handful of titles pushed back and then slated for switch instead of 3DS for that attitude could change rather quickly.

To me having two portable systems and splitting games between them is a bad idea. Sure there are millions of 3DS systems out there but the hardware is old and can't last forever.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Well for one, the context of both these interviews is that the Switch is not a replacement or successor to the 3DS. Frankly I think that's kind of BS, but it's BS that Nintendo has to spread from a business perspective because so many people have 3DSes and they don't want consumers losing confidence in the 3DS just yet. At least not until it's clear that the Switch is a success in its own right.

Second, these are interviews. I think the commercials that millions of people around the world are going to see is a clearer picture of how Nintendo is marketing the Switch than a couple of interviews that a handful of people are going to read.
It's exactly what Nintendo said about the GBA when the DS was launched.

Even the GBA ("project Atlantis") was delayed for years before public announcement because GB and GB Color sales were so strong.

Reactions: Sonikku

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's exactly what Nintendo said about the GBA when the DS was launched.

Even the GBA ("project Atlantis") was delayed for years before public announcement because GB and GB Color sales were so strong.
I remember it being hyped as a 32 bit portable and was picture PS1 level graphics. >.> And then it was like a Super Nintendo with inferior audio.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I remember it being hyped as a 32 bit portable and was picture PS1 level graphics. >.> And then it was like a Super Nintendo with inferior audio.

Haha really? I don't really remember it advertised that way. I do remember when there was no backlight and a lot of mods came out to add a small light to the GBA. Then Nintendo came out with a system that had a backlit screen.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Is it though? Seems like you're arguing semantics as opposed to how the console actually functions and is being marketed as functioning.

Words mean nothing. Its the Switch!

It switches roles to benefit Nintendo marketing at any particular time. Potato, tomato. Its both! Welcome to hybrid nonsense. It is clearly favoring portable and thats fine. If it was a home console first, it would be bigger/have better hardware for that use. Jack of all trades, master of none. Although I would say it seems to be a decent big/mid size portable game machine that can sort of be a home console. An underpowered one with a 2 year old mobile chip in it.

This is somewhat like Windows 8. Its an OS for everyone! Oh, but we are forcing you to run the main UI in tablet-touch screen mode on your desktop/laptop. Hybrid goodness everyone!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

There is already a game that can only be played in tablet mode. It's touchscreen only.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Haha really? I don't really remember it advertised that way. I do remember when there was no backlight and a lot of mods came out to add a small light to the GBA. Then Nintendo came out with a system that had a backlit screen.
I remember the whole "It's just like playing home console games!" shtick. Bear in mind this was like Gamecube era and the GBA is like a Super Nintendo.

I do remember the back light being a thing. I myself had one that snapped on the back. The glare was horrible. I thought about getting the GBA SP but opted to just get a DS because it had a GBA port at the bottom. I would later get a Lite and I still have it to this day for that very reason; GBA games with a back light.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I remember the whole "It's just like playing home console games!" shtick. Bear in mind this was like Gamecube era and the GBA is like a Super Nintendo.

I do remember the back light being a thing. I myself had one that snapped on the back. The glare was horrible. I thought about getting the GBA SP but opted to just get a DS because it had a GBA port at the bottom. I would later get a Lite and I still have it to this day for that very reason; GBA games with a back light.
My brother bought and installed a couple AfterBurner kits - that's the internal front light mod kit developed and sold by 1 guy through portablemonopoly.com before the SP was released. With a good install, it was very much like a GBA SP. Of course, still not as good as the late revision SPs that switched to a proper backlight