Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I had signed up for emails from Amazon when it became available to preorder but I did not get any email. I just checked Amazon right now and they are up for preorder so I snagged one. I'll probably cancel by launch but worth it just to hold a spot in case for the mean time.
Really? Ugh, I'm signed up for notifications and also received nothing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You can compare it all you want, but the 3DS has games and DS games. This thing just has a wait time. I don't expect it to be better after the fiasco that the wii u was.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
The 3DS was overpriced too. But Nintendo quickly lowered after release and it became a smash. I think the difference between the 3DS and Wii U was that Nintendo jumped in to save the former while relegating the latter to obscurity and death.

Honestly the $300 price tag for the console is completely reasonable in comparison to extra controllers or docks.

The official screen protector is kinda cheap at $20. Hope it doesn't suck, I plan to use this thing in tablet mode way more than docked.

rodserling

Apr 7, 2013
What is the reasonable performance we can expect out of the Switch when docked? I dont expect it to be too powerful as it is literally just an ARM tablet.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Haha keep checking Amazon because the SE was sold out this morning and then they had more for 13th delivery. Might get more stock in of Master Edition for later delivery.
I really hope the delivery date gets pushed up for release date because then it's ten days with the console and nothing to play.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
After reading some hands on reports I canceled the 1 2 Switch. It's not worth even $40.

I am excited about the size of the switch.

switch_3ds_comparison.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
At that size they almost might better have made it a 480p screen so they could allocate more of its puny downclocked gpu to other stuff. Could always dock it for 720p-1080p visuals.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Wow this is a so stupid.

Online lobby and voice chat -- Invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device. A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

You have to use a separate app on your phone to add friends, type, even freaking voice chat with them. So you have to talk into your phone while playing the game to talk to whoever you're playing with? How in the hell did they ever think this was a good idea? Why did they think this was more convenient than having everything baked into the Switch? This literally makes no sense at all.

When Reggie Fils-Aime was asking why needing a separate app to voice chat he said :

When asked why voice chat for Nintendo Switch will be tied to a mobile app, Reggie said, "we want to reinforce the capability to take your experience with you on the go.... The ability to do matchmaking, voice chat through your phone, it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having a gamer headset stuck into your backpack trying to do that. That's why we're doing it the way we are. We see the convenience, we see the ease of delivery. We think it's going to lead to a better experience."

That's just wow

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianSensation

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
It's a good thing I'm unlikely to do any online multiplayer with the Switch. Having to pay for online services and having to use a smartphone app on top of that? What a joke.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I had really hoped that had learned their lesson and had been spending these past couple of year getting their shit together. I think what's frusterating is that they clearly carry a platinum seal for quality in their products and software, but if they could just pivot and react to consumer demands even a teeny tiny bit they could be raking in the dough.

Reactions: RussianSensation

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Wow this is a so stupid.

Online lobby and voice chat -- Invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device. A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

You have to use a separate app on your phone to add friends, type, even freaking voice chat with them. So you have to talk into your phone while playing the game to talk to whoever you're playing with? How in the hell did they ever think this was a good idea? Why did they think this was more convenient than having everything baked into the Switch? This literally makes no sense at all.

When Reggie Fils-Aime was asking why needing a separate app to voice chat he said :

When asked why voice chat for Nintendo Switch will be tied to a mobile app, Reggie said, "we want to reinforce the capability to take your experience with you on the go.... The ability to do matchmaking, voice chat through your phone, it's a hell of a lot more convenient than having a gamer headset stuck into your backpack trying to do that. That's why we're doing it the way we are. We see the convenience, we see the ease of delivery. We think it's going to lead to a better experience."

That's just wow

Not that I don't believe you but do you have a article with this info so I can read it?

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks!

Well part of me thinks this set up will be lame but another part of me can see this working out. It all depends on how intuitive Nintendo implements this system. I can't really think of any other positives except for you being able to run your own headset and a unified lobby system for games. Also wondering if Nintendo did this to cut back on extra pieces and battery use.

With the PS4 Sony has a messaging app and a regular Playstation app. So a lot will probably be on board for this.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I totally missed the announcement, saw it the next day. Just got to this thread, missed a couple of pages of posts. So, uhh...

--Price is fair, but also bad. $300 isn't outright bad for a launch console, but $300 for that tech is almost laughable. I want to say "OK, fine," and "are you stupid?" at the same time.
--GameStop is maybe giving $195 for a Wii U 32 GB towards the Switch right now, if I saw it right ($120 base and $75 bonus towards Switch). I might have to dump mine, then.
--Controllers look disgusting, both in terms of tech concepts and the size. The pricing on the controllers is appalling as well--$70 for the Pro is total junk markup and the JoyCon or whatever isn't close to worth that either, when we just spent the last decade with WiiMotion for $40 or less.
--The games lineup is a pile of rubbish. 4 launch games, none of which interest me. In fact, I think I can say basically nothing planned interests me, except the Mario game. Rebuying Mario Kart isn't exactly a thought that says "yeah, go buy that $300 console and spend another billion dollars on overpriced peripherals!" Zelda's never been for me, and I found Splatoon to be incredibly lame. Not a single reason to ever consider touching a multi-platform game on this when I have a PC, XB1S, AND a PS4P--all which offer better graphics, better performance, and a more robust means of online gaming. That Skyrim is being pushed to this as well is comical, is Bethesda THAT lazy at putting stuff out?

I guess I'll trade in the Wii U for $195 towards the Switch, if possible. Then, I'll try to cancel the pre-order and get the $195 back as store credit for basically anything else, because I have no clue what I'd ever find to do on this thing. They didn't even announce the alleged Pokémon, did they? FE Warriors might intrigue me, but only because of the FE brand, but after not playing a FE since GameCube, do I care? Probably not. I was expecting Mario Golf to eventually come as well, since it got skipped on the Wii U. Also would have thought a not-terrible iteration of Mario Party would be on the table, but I suppose they JUST put that MP10 stake into the heart of the franchise...

Also, I didn't see, is amiibo still a thing? They coming along for the price-gouged toy ride?

Reactions: cmdrdredd

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Wow this is a so stupid.

That's just wow

honestly? I think considering the mobile aspect..that is not a bad idea. Ideal? probably not, but since you'll be using your phone for any online play while on the go (meaning access) it makes sense.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I totally missed the announcement, saw it the next day. Just got to this thread, missed a couple of pages of posts. So, uhh...

--Price is fair, but also bad. $300 isn't outright bad for a launch console, but $300 for that tech is almost laughable. I want to say "OK, fine," and "are you stupid?" at the same time.
--GameStop is maybe giving $195 for a Wii U 32 GB towards the Switch right now, if I saw it right ($120 base and $75 bonus towards Switch). I might have to dump mine, then.
--Controllers look disgusting, both in terms of tech concepts and the size. The pricing on the controllers is appalling as well--$70 for the Pro is total junk markup and the JoyCon or whatever isn't close to worth that either, when we just spent the last decade with WiiMotion for $40 or less.
--The games lineup is a pile of rubbish. 4 launch games, none of which interest me. In fact, I think I can say basically nothing planned interests me, except the Mario game. Rebuying Mario Kart isn't exactly a thought that says "yeah, go buy that $300 console and spend another billion dollars on overpriced peripherals!" Zelda's never been for me, and I found Splatoon to be incredibly lame. Not a single reason to ever consider touching a multi-platform game on this when I have a PC, XB1S, AND a PS4P--all which offer better graphics, better performance, and a more robust means of online gaming. That Skyrim is being pushed to this as well is comical, is Bethesda THAT lazy at putting stuff out?

I guess I'll trade in the Wii U for $195 towards the Switch, if possible. Then, I'll try to cancel the pre-order and get the $195 back as store credit for basically anything else, because I have no clue what I'd ever find to do on this thing. They didn't even announce the alleged Pokémon, did they? FE Warriors might intrigue me, but only because of the FE brand, but after not playing a FE since GameCube, do I care? Probably not. I was expecting Mario Golf to eventually come as well, since it got skipped on the Wii U. Also would have thought a not-terrible iteration of Mario Party would be on the table, but I suppose they JUST put that MP10 stake into the heart of the franchise...

Also, I didn't see, is amiibo still a thing? They coming along for the price-gouged toy ride?
Trade in your Wii U and get a system that can play the same game for just $105 dollars more.

Anyone else think it's strange that a Wii U new retails for more than a PS4 or Xbone? It's trade in value is in turn equally impressive. I think I'll hold onto mine. Having a pristine tablet could be a collectors item when people look back at the exclusives they overlooked and figure out that the system is worthless without it and a lot of people broke theirs. Wii U hardware without the tablet are a dime a dozen on Ebay.

Reactions: Ranulf

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
^ It's very enticing to trade-in the Wii U towards the Switch. Your out of pocket cost is low and you get a brand new console with at least a 4 year support. Despite my criticism, when paying barely > $100 out of pocket, I'd want the Zelda and Mario Odyssey in 2017 on the Switch. I guess it just depends on how big your Wii U gaming library is.

The trade-in value on the Wii U is shockingly good. Towards the end of its life, the Wii was almost worthless for trade-in and I think the cheapest SKUs sold for $99.

I am surprised they didn't offer a removable battery option. A 2nd battery would have cost $30-40 and it would have significantly curbed rhr complaints about 3 hour battery life. The other issue now is that a built-in battery with 3 hours of life will wear out rather quickly since you can easily go through 300-350 charge cycles per year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Pretty sure you won't get $195 and will only get $120 if you cancel the preorder since the $75 is only a bonus when used towards preorder.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
From a poster on Reddit:

You could buy a Switch, sell all of the accessories for near full price (Joycon, dock, controller dock, joycon straps) and have a $120ish dollar Switch Tablet.

If it ends up getting a lot of pure touchscreen iOS and Android ports that might not be a bad option for parents. At the very least selling the dock if you never want to fight the kids for TV time should get you at least one free game.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Pretty sure you won't get $195 and will only get $120 if you cancel the preorder since the $75 is only a bonus when used towards preorder.

In the past, there has been no proof GameStop can look back on a trade like that. They just see "you have a pre-order for this much." People have done it for trade bonus pre-orders in the past just fine.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
In the past, there has been no proof GameStop can look back on a trade like that. They just see "you have a pre-order for this much." People have done it for trade bonus pre-orders in the past just fine.
Oh interesting, nevermind then.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hmm, watching a lot of the demos, it looks like they are doing good things with it. One thing I didn't anticipate was putting motion sensors in the little nunchucks (which will be lost and broken like crazy...) but it makes for some interesting gameplay. Like, gameplay where you face the other person and neither of you look at the screen. Pretty neat. Almost brings back a board game feel to it.

I might get into this one.

BTW, I f'ing hate it when people debate pricing on game consoles and act like $50 is a big f'ing deal. $50 is a few hours of work, which pales in comparison to the amount of time most people spend on game consoles. The main expense of gaming is the time you spend gaming, not the actual cost of the setup.