Goodbye Galaxy S5!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Hello Galaxy Note 4! What a strange 'upgrade' right? I'm dumping Verizon so I bought the international exynos Note 4 + a 10,000 mAh battery for $270 I'm keeping my Galaxy S5 + 7,500 mAh battery for offline wikipedia, mp3's, and audiobooks.

Battery life is the most important factor in my life and the Galaxy S5 is wonderful. The only problem was its 2GB of RAM being a major problem in web browsing. The Note 4's 3GB of RAM should help a bit.

How many years do you guys think the Note 4 will last as a smartphone? Having a fat battery is my biggest priority in a smartphone and not a single new smartphone supports expandable batteries. Will we be getting a smartphone supporting expandable batteries ever again? If not, I will be forced to stick with the Note 4 for much longer than I originally planned.

Funny thing is that the S5 + 7,500 mAh battery is thicker than the Note 4 + 10,000 mAh due to its small size. I actually can't tell the difference of the two devices in my pocket other than weight.

The S5 and the Note 4 are Samsung's last devices with expandable batteries. I plan on holding onto them until another series of expandable smartphones are released (if ever).

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I just traded my S5 in on my purchase of the S7 Edge when I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile. The trade off of a larger screen and SD card expansion over the S5's replaceable battery and expandable storage was not a hard choice for me, and so far the Edge is proving to be the best phone I've yet owned. You might want to see if your old provider will unlock your S5, so you at least have a backup device you can drop a SIM in to if needed. Hope you enjoy your Note 4; Samsung got such a black eye over the Note 7 debacle, I'd be surprised if they stick with that model name with their upcoming devices.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I think it's already been announced that a new Note is coming this year.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I just got a S6 Edge Plus, same Exynos 7420 Octa-core, performance over the snapdragon is on par. Tho, it's 16 MP rear camera 3000mAH battery...

I just think having the curved glass on both sides plus the 5.7" screen is super good. Seems the right size for me.

Picked it up new in the box for about the same price as you got yours... You'll have to let us know about that 10,000 mAH battery. Sometimes I think off brand chinese batteries flub up the #'s, and then I would worry about charging it and burning down the house.

As for the S4, is almost the same specs as my S6, except I get 4MGB of ram and wireless charging (kinda important to me).

The S8 is rumoured to have a 4000 mAH battery. But if you are holding out for samsung to go back to swappable batteries ... I think you'll be in for a long wait. Even at that, if the battery on the S8 is 25% more power than mine, I would barely use more than 25-30%. I guess I don't use my phone that much, I think I got it down to 20-30% once because, I forgot to charge it overnight. My nightly routine is to toss it on the wireless charger. At first I didn't really care for edge +... but I've grown to really like it. I think they said that the s6 edge + and note 4 were to get Nougat upgrade soon. Not like I am in any rush. Tho, Probably android will be using "O" in a few more months.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that like the S6 and now that I have this phone, I am going to wait a good while before I get an S8. Maybe by then, the S9 will be coming out with more of a reason to upgrade.