Goodbye 3Com. It was great while it lasted.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
i still see USR modems for sale at fry's. What's the deal? New old stock?

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
heh i once had a usr modem, nice hardware modem:)

good old hardware vs software modem debate.

I still remember USR made a "gaming modem" when broadband was starting to get popular. lol, that thing was 100 bucks.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: andylawcc

I still remember USR made a "gaming modem" when broadband was starting to get popular. lol, that thing was 100 bucks.
It has its purpose. All of their other modems at the time were Winmodems, the gaming modem was a tried & true hardware modem.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
just because it's bought by a chinese company, doesnt mean the quality will be worse. besides, Bain will be there to make sure of that.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: 3cho
just because it's bought by a chinese company, doesnt mean the quality will be worse. besides, Bain will be there to make sure of that.

No wai! God forbids you say good thing about Chinese company in atot!

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have salvaged every 100mbps 3com nic I have come across, they just simply work and drivers are built into every os

not that stupid broadcom crap which isnt in every os and requires a huge download for the drivers

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: UncleWai

No wai! God forbids you say good thing about Chinese company in atot!

Hey, if Lenovo made Thinkpads of the same quality and support as IBM I would say nice things about them.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: andylawcc

It has its purpose. All of their other modems at the time were Winmodems, the gaming modem was a tried & true hardware modem.

I had a USR modem. It killed my internal PCI modem in terms of speed. I mean seriously. It was a matter of 3.8 KB/sec vs 4.1 KB/sec on AOL. That made a huge difference

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002

LOL Huawei, when they came into the fray in my region it was basically a local guy and 3-5 chinesse engineers and they would basically hand out equipment to buy over customers where we were placing bids. Nortel & motorola along with nokia & seimens have been losing a lot of business to these kinda shitty business practices.

Cause sadly publicly traded companies can't do those kind of things.