Goodbye 3Com. It was great while it lasted.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2...3com_potted/page2.html

3Com's sale to Huawei Technologies and Bain Capital for $2.2bn marks the end of a company which pioneered Ethernet and network computing, and once owned Palm.

3Com was named for "computers, communication and compatibility" by one of its founders, Robert Metcalfe, who had come up with Ethernet as a networking technology while at Xerox Parc.

Oh well. Even the great companies fall to the advancing Chinese hordes.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
GOOD!

They were evil and deserved to fail and fall flat on their face. I will never, ever forgive them for what they did. Everybody who bought their gear was left holding the bag with no support whatsoever. They just pulled out of the market back in 1999.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
marvell is 10000x better. stupid 3com drivers on my old p4 northwood mobo (asus p4p800) never let me play WoW. had to do some fiddling around just to make it work.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
3com went downhill in later years.
I still have some 3com network cards made in 1997 that still work fine.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Say what?
<cuddles 3c905b>
:heart:They'll never take you from me, I promise. :heart:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I remember when 3Com network cards were the shiznit about 10 years ago, back before practically everything came with integrated Ethernet. Between that and their modem business, I'm amazed that they didn't go out of business around 2001!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Say what?
<cuddles 3c905b>

awww... how did you know I was talking about my cards :)

long live 3c905 !

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Say what?
<cuddles 3c905b>

Agreed! Those cards have never failed to work in any machine into which I've put them.

alzan

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
fuck. so what brand NIC's do I buy now? Been doing 3com/Intel for a while now, guess it's Intel only?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
fuck. so what brand NIC's do I buy now? Been doing 3com/Intel for a while now, guess it's Intel only?

You still BUY NIC's?!? Every server, desktop, motherboard, and laptop that I've bought in the last five years has integrated Ethernet, and every one that I bought in the past two years had integrated Gigabit Ethernet!

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Say what?
<cuddles 3c905b>
I didn't love them *that* much, but I did buy a lot for no other reason than their drivers were included with Windows 98.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ultimatebob

You still BUY NIC's?!? Every server, desktop, motherboard, and laptop that I've bought in the last five years has integrated Ethernet, and every one that I bought in the past two years had integrated Gigabit Ethernet!

True, but not every mobo allows teaming which is important in high network traffic workloads.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

True, but not every mobo allows teaming which is important in high network traffic workloads.

When it comes to double teaming you have to be choosy.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

eh. Back in the day onboard nic's were garbage. The stigma never left (for me). I'm still using Intel nic's I bought 3-4 years ago.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000

eh. Back in the day onboard nic's were garbage. The stigma never left (for me). I'm still using Intel nic's I bought 3-4 years ago.

In that case, I have several 3Com 3C905X PCI cards for sale. Interested? Actually, I'm not kidding. :-/

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ghostman

In that case, I have several 3Com 3C905X PCI cards for sale. Interested? Actually, I'm not kidding. :-/

haha. I only have 1 computer. Using said Intel nic ;)

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
They had solid products once upon a time.
They made crap ever since the venerable Cyclone and Boomerang times.

WombRaider

Banned
Jun 21, 2007

I think almost all workstations or business laptops still use Intel onboard NIC. Installing an OS over network FTW.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Im sure all the older AT'ers at one point used a 3com faxmodem to connect to the Internet at one point or another... RIP 3com

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Originally posted by: Mucho
What ever happened to USRobotics after they bought them out?

They killed them.

people no longer needed modems, they were dead anyways.people no longer needed modems, they were dead anyways.

heh i once had a usr modem, nice hardware modem:)
still, modem internet was horrible stuff