Good riddance to "squaw"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't think I've ever used that word (the unpleasant implication of it is pretty obvious), but I do find I have to make a conscious effort to avoid the word 'welched'.

Dammit, I can't tell whether @WelshBloke is "wow"ing at the fact that I even come close to using that word, or at the fact that I choose not to.

Edit - the trouble is it's embedded in my vocabulary, so its the first word one thinks of when expressing the idea of 'not paying a debt', but despite attempts I've seen to claim it's all about the Prince Regent (of Blackadder fame) it does seem like it's in reality derived from anti-Welsh slurs...and I don't want to risk someone taking offense and possibly kicking my arse.
Interesting that a search on here reveals it being used quite often in this forum.

• Haha
Reactions: WelshBloke

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Do you understand that gypped is a racist term?

Actually no. Understood for some time that it's on the list, but got no appreciation for how/what/where/why.

Why would a group of homeless / traveling people be a race?
Are they all supposed to be Jewish or something?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Is Limey still OK? :(
Bloody jickie instead? //ducks

Anyway, I’m completely ignorant about most of this stuff. I had to look up what a 'cracker' is. Living in small towns and cities in New Hampshirite provides one with almost zero multicultural experience.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Sometimes. I still identify plumbing parts as male and female, and my dog is a bitch.
The standards still use gendered terms for plumbing and electrical plugs. A female dog is a bitch by definition, if you called your wife a bitch that would be different, obviously.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The standards still use gendered terms for plumbing and electrical plugs. A female dog is a bitch by definition, if you called your wife a bitch that would be different, obviously.
As with all words since the beginning of humanity, they change meaning over time, and eventually become offensive.
the n-word is no longer usable in polite society and on most social media. When I was growing up it was considered disgusting slang, but hardly a forbidden word. It was just the sophisticated people who chose not to use it. Plus most films made by black people used to include it at least once, as well as a joke by guys like Mel Brooks.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
As with all words since the beginning of humanity, they change meaning over time, and eventually become offensive.
the n-word is no longer usable in polite society and on most social media. When I was growing up it was considered disgusting slang, but hardly a forbidden word. It was just the sophisticated people who chose not to use it. Plus most films made by black people used to include it at least once, as well as a joke by guys like Mel Brooks.
Exactly. Blazing Saddles, though a hilarious parody of both racism and of how Americans romanticize the "Wild West", is essentially one long bleep fest in places.

Reactions: kage69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Is Limey still OK? :(

It better be!

The-Limey-Header-Image-1_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg

I know originally it was derogatory, but personally I've always thought poking fun over the successful defeat of scurvy to be on the endearing side. Also, taffy is delicious. :grin:

But calling a First Nation woman the old word for c*nt? No.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You know what? I seem to recall referring to you as a taffy here before. No more, and belated apologies if that irked you.
I have no issues with that!
I've never considered taffy derogatory. It refers to the river taff that runs through the valleys and through Cardiff.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good. It's not just the offensive nature of the term itself, it's that it reflects a long history of white colonists dictating the language used to refer to indigenous populations. See how people used "Eskimo" to refer to Inuit communities.

And it's not limited to North America, either — look at how we used to refer to many non-white cities using bastardized pronunciations because we couldn't be bothered to accept the real ones, like "Bombay" (Mumbai) and "Peking" (Beijing). Language has all too often been used as a control mechanism, and it's time that stopped.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I have no issues with that!
I've never considered taffy derogatory. It refers to the river taff that runs through the valleys and through Cardiff.

Cool. That's been my experience with other Welsh I have known, but wanted to make sure. Wait, I though it was two rivers? Fechan and Fawr?

Edit: looked it up, aha I see now, nm