good quality headphones

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
no, i don't want a headset. despite being deaf and i still can hear sounds.

i want a good headphones that could cover the entire ears like DJ's using to play some songs, y'all know. like sennheiser and koss have some headphones i'm looking for. i'll be using for games and music.

but i want a good quality from sennheiser for less than $60. i could spend more than 60 but i want one that costs less.

thanks!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Juno
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
open or closed?

care to elaborate?

Do you want to hear sounds going on around you, or do you want to be isolated?

open = you hear around you, and people in the area can hear what you're listening to

closed = you're isolated, and you don't disturb others

Most of the better quality ones (especially in the upper priceranges) are open.

EDIT: I got closed Senn HD-280s for $60 a couple years ago and I'm happy with them. I wanted something I could use at night and not disturb anyone. I have my Onix Rockets when I don't need to be quiet :)

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
yeah, i'm looking for closed ones.

edit: it's something that people at LAN parties will not bother me. :D

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
jello?

I guess since I have had a positive experience with my 280s, that would by my own suggestion. I don't think you can get them for $60 anymore though. More like $80.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
jello?

I guess since I have had a positive experience with my 280s, that would by my own suggestion. I don't think you can get them for $60 anymore though. More like $80.

Seconded. HD280 Pros are probably the best closed, isolating headphones you can get for that price range. It's a little over your budget at around $80, but maybe you can find one used. These things have monster isolation and are great for whenever you need to disconnect yourself from the world. Pricegrabber link here <-- cheapest price is $77, ship. included for me.

As a [much] cheaper alternative, you could turn to HD201s. These things are definitely not as isolating, but they're also circumaural and closed as well. They sound pretty damn good for such a cheap pair of closed headphones, and sound remarkably like the HD280 Pros (with a little less detail). I got mine for $20, but it seems like they've raised the price... Pricegrabber link again <--- cheapest, it seems, is $23 from NewEgg.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
HD280 is going for $73.15 at Amazon, has been going at that price for at least the last month and a half. Pretty good price.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
My HD280's headband broke after 1.5 years of use, it cracked. It started cracking half a year ago. Luckily there's a 2 year warranty on Senn products. Gonna send them in soon. :)

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
You might be able to just get them to send you a replacement part. At least some of it is user replaceable on them. I'm not sure if this is something you can do yourself.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
You might be able to just get them to send you a replacement part. At least some of it is user replaceable on them. I'm not sure if this is something you can do yourself.

The HD280 Pro headband is, to my knowledge, not very user-replaceable. Actually, the headband has been notorious for cracking. I haven't read too much about it, but some searches at head-fi will probably get you a lot.

In light of this, the HD201 might be a better choice... the sound isn't that much worse; the only real downside is the isolation.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Also, the warranty won't cover the replacement part, they will make you buy it. I'm still using the headphones, I don't want to send them in to Conneticut and be without them for 2 weeks. :(

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
If you want both durability and a closed design, the Sony MDR-V6 (not the newer V600) is supposed to be very good for the $70-ish price. It's out of production now but there are still many places carrying them. The Beyer DT250 I have also fits that criteria very well, but it costs a lot more (although you can find it for much less than MSRP on ebay).

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I 2nd the A500s. I bought mine from Audiocubes about 2 years ago, and they have been rocking ever since. Not only are they durable and comfortable, but they have pretty excellent SQ. The shipping from Japan was only $7 and they arrived in under a week.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
no way, i just want headphones then i'm all good.

i was asking people if the 280's benefit from an amp. sorry i phrased it wrong.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SonicIce
no way, i just want headphones then i'm all good.

i was asking people if the 280's benefit from an amp. sorry i phrased it wrong.

The remarkable thing about the 280's is that it's the only one in that price and quality range that doesn't really need to be run through an amp. These things are beasts on their own. :thumbsup: