Going paintballing tomorrow for the first time.

Feb 19, 2001
What should I be aware of?

Edit: It's 92 degrees out tomorrow in Cow Town. I don't think I can wear any thick clothing tomorrow =/

SandInMyShoes

Apr 19, 2002
Speedball or woodsball?

Don't be afraid to get shot. I have a LOT more fun by playing semi-aggressively and taking more hits than cowering behind cover the whole time. Oh, and you don't feel the hits nearly as bad if you're playing all-out. :)

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
turn the spring as tight as they'll allow so you can put a can of wup ass on somebody and if they cry uncle unload until your hopper is empty (kidding). Wear gloves, buy your paintballs outside of the place as they are expensive there. Others wear army vests and belts to carry extra balls. Me I hide cold beer and I paint my canisters so I can hide beer in them. I sit back have a cold one and let the rift raft sort it out then I come in for the kill.

Oct 25, 2006
1. Anti Fog. You'll need it half way into your first game. You sweat more than you ever though possible. It can be IMPOSSIBLE to see out sometimes
2. Lots of money. Paintballs are expensive. About 60 dollars for 2000. You'll probably go through about 2-3 of those in one full day, assuming 2 people
3. Don't be scared of being hit. It hurts like a bitch for like 5 seconds, then it doesn't hurt anymore
4. Thick Clothing Isn't necessary. I went with a tshirt and shorts for a speedball arena. I was fine.
5. If your gun ams, remember to pull back the bolt
6. Recharge your air canister every 2-3 games. You do NOT want to run out mid game.
7. Have fun.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
1. Listen to the staff at all times
2. Bring lots of bottled water
3. Bring lots of towels (shop towels aren't a bad idea, actually)
4. Bring extra socks
5. Wear crappy stuff, including shoes
6. Jock strap
7. Gloves
8. You can lose an eye

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Freeze a few of the paintballs for extra fun.

Another thing I like to do is spray some OC or pepper spray into a dish, then inject it into some of my paintballs with an insulin needle. Works good for hitting people in the mask. :D

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Don't call it paintballing, call it playing paintball. Paintballing is going around and shooting stuff up with a paintball gun

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
2. Lots of money. Paintballs are expensive. About 60 dollars for 2000. You'll probably go through about 2-3 of those in one full day, assuming 2 people

4000 rounds in a day?!? When I used to play I'd be lucky to go through 500 in a day. of course I used to play with pumps and semis not those crazy electro/auto things people use now.

Anti-fog is a must, I remember feeling like I was blind one day because my mask was scratched up and fogged like crazy. Think clothes aren't necessary, I used to play in a long sleeve tee shirt and pants. Gloves are good too, I used to use those stretchy winter gloves for kids.

If you get the chance making a wild run while shooting two guns at people who's location you don't know in order to save a friend who tried to grab the flag is awesome. Even if you do end up surrounded and hiding behind a pile of sticks afterwards.

honkydory

May 22, 2007
Even using my autococker i still only used about 1000 rnds a day max (im not trigger happy, i like to be precise). Geez this thread makes me want to go get it out of the box again.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
1. Anti Fog. You'll need it half way into your first game. You sweat more than you ever though possible. It can be IMPOSSIBLE to see out sometimes
3. Don't be scared of being hit. It hurts like a bitch for like 5 seconds, then it doesn't hurt anymore
4. Thick Clothing Isn't necessary. I went with a tshirt and shorts for a speedball arena. I was fine.
5. If your gun ams, remember to pull back the bolt
6. Recharge your air canister every 2-3 games. You do NOT want to run out mid game.
7. Have fun.

If a beginner uses over 1000 his/her first time that's ridiculous, especially since I am going to assume they will be using a semi not an auto.

Also, I WOULD wear a long sleeve shirt. If you are wearing a short sleeve shirt and a ball gets in your sleeve and gets you under the arm it is goig to hurt REALLY BAD.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: holden j caufield
turn the spring as tight as they'll allow so you can put a can of wup ass on somebody and if they cry uncle unload until your hopper is empty (kidding). Wear gloves, buy your paintballs outside of the place as they are expensive there. Others wear army vests and belts to carry extra balls. Me I hide cold beer and I paint my canisters so I can hide beer in them. I sit back have a cold one and let the rift raft sort it out then I come in for the kill.

love it...

Have a wing man, and work as a team. Play aggressively. It's loads of fun. You may get picked off now and again for putting yourself in a bad position, but that one time when you get up on top of them inside their bunker and you just destroy 3-4 of their guys will make it all worth it. You will talk about it for years :)

edit: when you're running to your next spot of cover, don't just hop out and run for your life. Keep your aim at where the point of highest threat is, and if they peek their head out pop a few at them and scare em back down. If you do need to make it a quick move, then your wing man has to keep their heads down.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Just don't be afraid, and have a load of fun. Getting shot isn't a big deal; shooting others is. :D

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Stress on the safety issues they'll teach you. It's a gun and I've seen what can happen when you don't have toppers on despite not having your paintball canisters and gas in.

The hits won't hurt as bad as you think.

Wear crappy clothes, don't try to wear camos, they're useless when the game is on, really.

Do not pick up unbursted paintballs from the ground, it will really hurt your gun.

The rest is experience. You'll learn how to plan and how to play better with time.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: EGGO
Stress on the safety issues they'll teach you. It's a gun and I've seen what can happen when you don't have toppers on despite not having your paintball canisters and gas in.

What exactly can a marker do without paint and air? You could whack someone with it I suppose but I can't think of much else.