gog.com sale thread: Tropico 3 Gold $9.99, Space Rangers 2 Reboot $4.99, several more

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Empire Earth is awesome.
Empire Earth 2 is glorious.
Empire Earth 3 and Lords of the Realm 3 are junk.
Evil Genius is good stuff.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
DRM free this soon after release? Wow, it must have done rather poorly. I plan to buy a copy when I get home, since I know that I can do whatever I want with it and not have to worry about random background processes or other niggling issues that different DRM schemes cause to my computer while not running the game. $15 is cheap enough to just check out the game as long as I don't have to worry about crap like that.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
DRM free this soon after release? Wow, it must have done rather poorly. I plan to buy a copy when I get home, since I know that I can do whatever I want with it and not have to worry about random background processes or other niggling issues that different DRM schemes cause to my computer while not running the game. $15 is cheap enough to just check out the game as long as I don't have to worry about crap like that.

I don't think poor sales are the issue (don't know the sales) - gog.com is always DRM-free and is expanding to more current titles, and will sell it for $30, this is a sale price.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

Actually it did sell rather well. The dev's said that after the first day or two iirc they made back all the cost for porting it over to the PC alone.

GOG will only sell games DRM free, that is why they have this version which is different from all the rest that require Steam.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
DRM free this soon after release? Wow, it must have done rather poorly.

Does it occur to you that it's going DRM-free not because it sold poorly, but because the developers are cool guys and they want to get the game out to as many people as possible? :)

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I just checked steam, and it appears there's a new episode for the game available there.

Would that not work on the gog version?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I just checked steam, and it appears there's a new episode for the game available there.

The new episode is standalone so don't need the core game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Well, for one, it's not really available yet... just up for pre-order.

Probably won't work with the GOG version, but maybe they're stand-alone? I'm not sure.

Either way, you can expect the new "American Nightmare" expansion to come to GOG as well. One of the main GOG guys posted on the forums that they'll be releasing more of Remedy's games on their website DRM-free, so I bet the new one will be on there too, just probably not for pre-order.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Does it occur to you that it's going DRM-free not because it sold poorly, but because the developers are cool guys and they want to get the game out to as many people as possible? :)

I will admit that I assume that all major publishers only remove DRM after they believe the game has sold the majority of the copies that it would sell, and any future copies wouldn't sell enough to actually pay for the DRM that they are using. I don't feel like the DRM offers any real return on investment, but the publishers themselves wouldn't use it if they didn't believe that it does.

I am glad to see that this publisher doesn't feel the need to add additional DRM to this game even though it is still selling well. I will have to look at who is publishing it (or maybe it is just the developer publishing it directly through GoG, in which case this action makes more sense to me).

Maybe there is a pull back to the middle where publishers are starting to see how little ROI they get on the investment into DRM. That would be a good development, but unfortunately the problem that led them to DRM in the first place is still present. I wonder what those publishers will do in the future to combat that problem now that they see DRM isn't working?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
So the new episode is standalone?

It's nice of them to do that. I would have figured they'd want to sell more core games.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Fantastic game. One of the best single player games that I've played in a while. I played a year or so back on my xbox. Highly recommended

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I'll buy DRM-free version. I like rewarding devs for being considerate of customers. Especially when the game was release 2-3 years after console version.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Weekend sale:
Cryostasis $4.99
Fantasy Wars $4.99
King's Bounty: The Legend $4.99
Space Rangers $4.99
Space Rangers 2: Dominators $4.99
Star Wolves $4.99
UFO: Afterlight $4.99
UFO: Aftermath $2.99
UFO: Aftershock $4.99

If you don't have King's Bounty yet, good deal.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
ARMA Gold is on sale for $3.99, 60% off.

Most players say it's good but prefer the other ARMA versions.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
GOG really seems to have ramped up the number of releases since their last Promotion stunt.

They've got Far Cry 2: Fortunes Edition on their site now, plus quite a few more recent games.

I've seen three or four Pre-order releases on their site as well.

I'm really liking the changes they made by getting all these additions (and DRM free to boot), but some of the prices are a bit high on some stuff.

Still, I've got over 50 titles in my Library on their site . . . don't know when I'm going to get the time to play all these, especially with all the Indie titles I've acquired as well :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Weekend sale, each for $2.99:

Dungeon Keeper™
Dungeon Keeper™ 2
Populous™
Populous™ 2: Trials of the Olympian Gods
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri™
SimCity 2000™ Special Edition

Alpha Centauri is the most standout deal.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I don't know. Every single one of those games are very good. Alpha Centari is actually my least favorite of those games, but I loved it too.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
I saw this today and I've been debating whether to pick up SMAC or not.

Is it really more than just Civ in space?

I've already got Civ's I - IV.
If it's just basically a facelift for one of those, there's not much reason for me to pick it up.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I saw this today and I've been debating whether to pick up SMAC or not.

Is it really more than just Civ in space?

I've already got Civ's I - IV.
If it's just basically a facelift for one of those, there's not much reason for me to pick it up.

I never played much AC so I'm not as qualified as some other people; but from what I hear, Alpha Centauri is much more than just "Civ in space". I have friends who are die-hard AC fans, but don't like the Civ games because of how simple/dumbed-down they are from AC.