God Wanted These Censored

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
As an atheist, I have to wonder why anyone would want to put those billboards up anyways?

Its Atheists with the "George Carlin Syndrome" who put these ads up. Its that syndrome where nearly every other joke is railing about how much Christianity sucks [but rarely says a peep about Jews, Muslims or any other religion].

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
And thanks for proving my point with that Bible quote. Perhaps Atheists would get a little further if they had a little more positive message and a little less teenage angst. From what I know of organized Atheism and those that participate in it, they might as well change the name of the convention to "Come-bitch-about-religion Circle-Jerk". But I guess the atmosphere of such things is usually so acidic I could see how one used to said atmosphere could see these banners as "benign".

The terrible burden of the majority, oh how it must weigh on you.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Then perhaps they should be doing more advertising and less cat scratching.

I have no idea what you mean here. I don't really care if you're referring to the mormons, but if you are referring to atheists doing more advertising, well, you did see this is about billboards, right? I shouldn't have to explain the connection between billboards and advertising.

Note the font advertising the convention is a few times smaller than the snark.

I'll note you are 'picking gnat shit from pepper.' Is there anything pertinent there that is incapable of being read? How about the main text - any slander? Any outright falsehoods or opinions presented? Any insults?

The problem isn't that billboards got taken down due to a bunch of 'snark,' the problem is dogmatic reactionaries who read them and took it that way because they (hilariously) feel persecuted and/or insulted.

There's nothing spiteful about those billboards, and lots wrong with removing them for the reasons stated.

I'll admit it's hypocritical given some of the religious banners that are up, but most people look at those and think "oh, Christian fundamentalist nutjobs" and look away.

True, but then in some cases the nutjob brigade actually follows you, or camps outside the college, store, club, convention center, etc so they can harass and lambast others when they exit. I see a huge rift of difference between the two sides, not just with the nature of their messages but in how they deliver them. Sorry, your "some people say" answer doesn't change that.

Do Atheists really want themselves equated to that?

Of course not, but then it would take either a really stupid person or a really indoctrinated person to think atheists could equate themselves to the outspoken nutjobs. Or, how many atheists have you seen on a corner with a sign of an aborted fetus, screaming at others to repent or burn in hell? Any atheists blowing up buildings? How about just the grass roots stuff, any atheists come to your door or your place of business and want to quiz you on your devotion to whatever like the Baptists and Jehovah's Witnesses do?
What you see on those billboards are Utah residents showing they don't want to be equated with false stereotypes. Do you really not see that?

Poor Atheists, not being allowed to project their stupidity like radical Christians do. :p

Do try to keep up. This story is about billboards that were taken down by the butthurt religilous for the lamest of reasons. The atheists involved weren't trying to make a mockery of women's health issues, disenfranchise gays, compromise the separation of church and state, or generally act like petulant children when others have the nerve to see things differently. Yes, those poor poor atheists indeed. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The terrible burden of the majority, oh how it must weigh on you.

Given that I'm not religious in any sense of the word, I'm not sure what majority you refer to. But by all means, continue to prove my point. Anyone who calls out Atheists on their bullshit must be an illogical, offended religious person, right?

Despite not defining myself as Christian I still went to Church with my sister at Christmas. Why? Because she didn't want to go alone and she's my sister. I sang the hymns, lit the candels, and even enjoyed the atmosphere a little, and never even made a passing challenge or statement about the religious aspect. Good luck finding an Atheist that would do the same without self-righteously seething under the surface, particulary among the crowd that attends Atheist gatherings and conventions.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I have no idea what you mean here. I don't really care if you're referring to the mormons, but if you are referring to atheists doing more advertising, well, you did see this is about billboards, right? I shouldn't have to explain the connection between billboards and advertising.

I'm saying Atheists can advertise without the backhanded slap at religion. All those billboards "advertise" is a variety of Atheism that is more about despising religion than being non-religous.

I'll note you are 'picking gnat shit from pepper.' Is there anything pertinent there that is incapable of being read? How about the main text - any slander? Any outright falsehoods or opinions presented? Any insults?

It's called marketing, and it's the same reason your name is the largest font on your Resume. Someone driving by those billboards at 70 mph is going to read the snark first, then maybe if they're paying close attention the advertisement for the convention and contact info underneath it.

The problem isn't that billboards got taken down due to a bunch of 'snark,' the problem is dogmatic reactionaries who read them and took it that way because they (hilariously) feel persecuted and/or insulted.

There's nothing spiteful about those billboards, and lots wrong with removing them for the reasons stated.

The company took them down because they didn't want to piss off the majority of their customer base. Had the snark not been there, they might have not been taken down and the convention would have a much stronger case.

True, but then in some cases the nutjob brigade actually follows you, or camps outside the college, store, club, convention center, etc so they can harass and lambast others when they exit. I see a huge rift of difference between the two sides, not just with the nature of their messages but in how they deliver them. Sorry, your "some people say" answer doesn't change that.

At which point you should pay them no more attention than you would the hobo screaming about the end of the world. And Atheists stage obnoxious protests too, there just aren't as many of them.

Of course not, but then it would take either a really stupid person or a really indoctrinated person to think atheists could equate themselves to the outspoken nutjobs. Or, how many atheists have you seen on a corner with a sign of an aborted fetus, screaming at others to repent or burn in hell? Any atheists blowing up buildings? How about just the grass roots stuff, any atheists come to your door or your place of business and want to quiz you on your devotion to whatever like the Baptists and Jehovah's Witnesses do?

No, Atheists are typically more passive agressive and snarky than fire and brimstone. They're at least smart enough not to directly emulate the religions they despise. That said these Atheist billboards are remarkably similar to a lot of equally stupid religious billboards I've seen. Replace "Atheist" with any religious sect you like and you've got an equally stupid religious billboard.

What you see on those billboards are Utah residents showing they don't want to be equated with false stereotypes. Do you really not see that?

What I see on those billboards are Utah residents bragging about their Atheism like people should care, and bragging implies a sense of superiority.

If you don't want to be stereotyped, then don't be a stereotype. It really is that simple.

Do try to keep up. This story is about billboards that were taken down by the butthurt religilous for the lamest of reasons. The atheists involved weren't trying to make a mockery of women's health issues, disenfranchise gays, compromise the separation of church and state, or generally act like petulant children when others have the nerve to see things differently. Yes, those poor poor atheists indeed. :p

Hard to keep up when I've yet to see a reason to go anywhere. We have no idea why these signs were taken down, quite possibly it's because a company wanted to *gasp* not lose money by pissing off its primary customer base! What a concept!

And I'm sorry but I really have to facepalm when Atheists claim persecution. In the US they're suffering perhaps the most mild religious persecution in the history of the world. It's so mild even the worst can be completely avoided by simply shutting up until you make enough money to move out of your parents' basement. I'm sure there are some horror stories where some lunatics tied their Atheist kid to the hot water heater and drilled a hole in their skull or something, but the "persecution" of Atheists can best be described as "collective mommy and daddy issues."

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I asked you for examples and you basically repeated yourself, injecting bias and assumptions into the issue all over again, trying to maintain this notion that atheism is a religion.

I think we're done here.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I asked you for examples and you basically repeated yourself, injecting bias and assumptions into the issue all over again, trying to maintain this notion that atheism is a religion.

I think we're done here.

You asked me for examples? Lol where? You provided counterarguments and asked me questions, many of which were rhetorical (at least I assumed they were rhetorical because they'd be pretty dumb if they weren't) . I answered the relevant questions and provided my own counterarguments, many of which hadn't changed all that much because absolutely nothing in your post swayed my opinion. Hell your entire post read like an angry rant about my post as opposed to actual arguments.

My "assumptions and bias" are based on extensive personal experience and common sense, and you're inserting equivalent assumptions of your own BTW (that the billboards were taken down for religious as opposed to economic reasons, that Atheists can't possibly be as misguided and obnoxious as their religious counterparts, that the poster's intent was purely innocent and informational, etc). We don't have all the details, so we naturally insert assumptions based on our backgrounds. Welcome to debate 101.

Honestly, you sound like just another angry Atheist who doesn't realize that most people don't really care about their self-righteous indignation. Am I supposed to back down because you're pissed off? Because I feel fine. I agree that we're done here though, you've offered nothing but vitriol to this conversation.

Last edited:

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Right.

Abstinence; the kinkiest sex position ever.

How many people who are abstinent make billboards criticizing those who have sex?

I've never seen a "Who needs sex during bed time? Nobody" electronic billboard in Times Square.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
How many people who are abstinent make billboards criticizing those who have sex?

I've never seen a "Who needs sex during bed time? Nobody" electronic billboard in Times Square.

Time Square now is it? Interesting. Anyway, yes! I've seen billboards advocating abstinence in several Florida and Georgia counties in the past actually, thank you for bringing it up! I've also seen similar church produced mini magazines and pamphlets advocating abstinence left at hospitals, dentist offices, and post offices. It's hard to ignore the extra worth placed on chastity in our culture, and holy rollers just ramp that up to eleven. Girls without it are seen as tainted, lowly and unworthy, certainly something that pales in comparison to good ol virtuous purity.

Look you and others can try and spin it all you want but the fact is all you're doing is defending censorship, defending those who are threatened by simple, factual self-identification. Maybe small fonts too, not sure. Funny how this value placed on expression seems to disappear once you venture off of the abortion clinic property, isn't it?

Make no mistake, no one here is challenging the notion this was officially done for the sake of business revenue. Mormons are their single largest customer demographic I would suppose, but I guess I'm having a hard time believing Mormon indignation and the Mormon church itself kept quiet about this.

I just think defending such thin skin is like having such thin skin yourself. So again, dammit guys quit being pussies! This is actually quite tame compared to other responses atheist groups have received from the establishment. Many people in the Deep South would love it if certain baptists only took their bulletins.

If the Mormon community had a pair, had real faith in their beliefs, they wouldn't be interfering with the advertisement of other non-Mormon events. They should be showing up themselves and debating the issue firsthand. Open invite to their place too. :)

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Atheism; the religion of non-religion.

:thumbsup:

Atheism is not a religion you fucking retard. You've been told this on this forum and even had it illustrated a hundred ways from Sunday and you STILL are too stupid to get it.

I am not at all surprised that you're religious.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Billboards rejected in Utah because they were "misleading, deceptive or offensive to the moral standards of the community." :rolleyes:

existence_of_atheism_is_a_lie_1.jpg

existence_of_atheism_is_a_lie_2.jpg

existence_of_atheism_is_a_lie_3.jpg

existence_of_atheism_is_a_lie_4.jpg

And, this billboard below, which did make the cut in Times Square, was called by State Senator Andrew Lanza (R-Staten Island) an “expression of hatred.”

merry_christmas_and_happy_holocaust.jpg

He went on, “Religious persecution of the kind that similarly led to the Holocaust began with small baby steps of ridicule and hatred of the religious beliefs of others.”

Religious persecution? The Holocaust?!? D:

What ever happened to our seemingly sacred and constitutionally protected ideal of free speech? :colbert:

Militant Atheists are just the opposite and equal reaction to the religious nuts we have spewing their God Hates(fill in the blank) propaganda. And Christ in Christmas? All it is now is an inventory reduction excuse of a holiday now. Where do you see anything on Christ 's life or teachings other then on PBS?

Nov 30, 2006
Bad form....trying to shove their anti-religion views down my throat. Next thing you know they'll being ringing my doorbell!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Atheism is not a religion you fucking retard. You've been told this on this forum and even had it illustrated a hundred ways from Sunday and you STILL are too stupid to get it.

I am not at all surprised that you're religious.
Atheism; the religion of non-religion.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i find fault in the idea that atheism needs to be promoted; either you are, an atheist (i.e, you don't believe every single bullshit you are told), or you aren't.

god save us (lel) from the times when the would-be-religious start "joining the atheist movement", we don't need any of that.

oh_my_science.gif