God bless the USA!

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
What is wrong with people these days? Too much liberalism and yet less tolerance? This principal should be fired!

:colbert:

As Issue Divides School, Congressman Takes a Side

BIGCITY1-articleLarge.jpg
Josh Haner/The New York Times
Representative Bob Turner, center in rear, singing “God Bless the U.S.A.” with students from Public School 90 in Brooklyn. Its principal had barred the country song from a kindergarten ceremony as too adult.

By GINIA BELLAFANTE

Published: June 19, 2012

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Email
  • Print
  • Reprints

Political opportunism, at its most benign, gives us bemusement and exasperation; at the more extreme end of things it inspires a wish for high-grade exfoliants to scrub away all the contact grease and grime.

Related

Connect with NYTMetro

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.

Enlarge This Image
BIGCITY2-articleInline.jpg

Josh Haner/The New York Times

A counterprotest against the Turner rally included Dina Rosado, the PTA president, her son Devin and her husband, Jorge Rosado.

It was toward this end of the scale that Representative Bob Turner, who is seeking the Republican nomination to oppose Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand, a Democrat, showed up at a public elementary school in Brooklyn on Monday to lead a group of flag-waving children in a defiant rendition of Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the U.S.A.,” a song for which the school’s principal had voiced by now well-known disapproval.
“What’s better than having a congressman come out here?” Representative Turner asked me outside Public School 90 in Coney Island on Monday, believing himself perhaps to be a cast member of “Glee.” Explaining what he hoped to accomplish, he said he had come “to continue and further an appreciation for the U.S.A.”
On one level the congressman’s actions might seem anodyne enough, but P.S. 90 is an embattled place where partisan intrusion was bound to deepen conflicts. Its principal, Greta Hawkins, who is black and presides over a predominantly white staff, has been under siege, the recipient of racist hate mail from unknown sources, and the target of a group of parents and some teachers who find her management style antagonizing. The school is divided among those who are staunchly devoted to her and believe she is striving for excellence, and those who aren’t and don’t.
Representative Turner’s choral efforts were hardly welcomed by all or even by many. Coney Island is close to the congressman’s district but not actually in it.
“This is a country song,” said Dina Rosado, president of the school’s PTA and a great believer in Ms. Hawkins. “This is Brooklyn. This is not the country.” Ms. Rosado’s husband, Jorge, directed a sign at Representative Turner that said, “Shame on You.”
A news release distributed by Mr. Turner’s campaign aides explained that he had reached out to parents after Ms. Hawkins banned the song from a kindergarten ceremony on the grounds that its lyrics were too adult. That decision became a matter of national attention after The New York Post reported that she had sought to replace the song with Justin Bieber’s “Baby.” This never happened. Still, the story managed to gain an insidious traction, diagraming in miniature how we’ve wound up in a world where facts are routinely eviscerated for the sake of political spectacle.
Even after the city’s Education Department explained that Ms. Hawkins had eliminated both songs simultaneously, Representative Turner’s campaign staff perpetuated the myth, declaring in its news release that Principal Hawkins had forbidden kindergartners to sing “God Bless the U.S.A.” but instead allowed them “to sing a Justin Bieber song gauged toward teenagers.” When I asked the campaign press aide why this was being stated even when it wasn’t so, she said that she had relied on what had been “widely reported.”
Mr. Turner was not the only representative seeking to capitalize on the drama. Michael G. Grimm, whose district includes Staten Island and part of Brooklyn, but not this part of Brooklyn, and who has criticized the principal, was scheduled to attend the singalong. He changed his plans at the last minute, because, as a news release put it, “The House of Representatives is in session.” That release, too, reiterated the Bieber claim, despite the evidence. In lieu of Representative Grimm, aides were sent to hand out free copies of Mr. Greenwood’s book, “Does God Still Bless the U.S.A.?”
(Should you feel sorry for Mr. Bieber, don’t. On Tuesday the Manhattan borough president, Scott M. Stringer, felt it necessary to honor the pop star at a record signing at J&R Music World.)
With so much at stake for children in the city right now — steep cuts to early-childhood and after-school programs on the horizon, and schools that by the end of the year have run out of money for substitute teachers — it would seem little to ask for politicians to acquit themselves productively in regard to public education.
Getting passionate teachers and keeping them is, of course, one of the biggest challenges of all.
After Monday’s event had devolved into rival groups of children singing in a kind of face-off — those who came with the parents who dislike Ms. Hawkins singing Mr. Greenwood’s song, and those who came with parents who are her fans belting “America the Beautiful” — a 25-year old teacher, Chiara Nakashian, emerged from the school. An Oberlin graduate, she’d come to P.S. 90 through Teach for America and found herself deeply inspired by Ms. Hawkins’s work ethic and standards. “She is an amazing woman,” she told me.
But all the vitriol and divisiveness were getting to her. Ms. Nakashian said she’d stay another year, but after that she couldn’t say.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I'd worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I'd thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I'm proud to be an American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

And I'm proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
She is obviously an inspiration to new teachers:

a 25-year old teacher, Chiara Nakashian, emerged from the school. An Oberlin graduate, she’d come to P.S. 90 through Teach for America and found herself deeply inspired by Ms. Hawkins’s work ethic and standards. “She is an amazing woman,” she told me.
But all the vitriol and divisiveness were getting to her. Ms. Nakashian said she’d stay another year, but after that she couldn’t say.

Which is very sad, and bodes ill for the nation. Hopefully more teachers who are inspired by her will leave.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Thumbs up for Bob Turner. Some people (like Hawkins) just can't understand that not everyone shares their hatred for this country.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
And I'm proud to be and American,

And I gladly stand up,
God bless the USA.

So... did you guys enlist to "stand up.... and defend her"? Or do you think you've got that covered via message board posting?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Did you people even read the article? The principal did nothing wrong. The school has gone from a B rating to an A rating under her. She's vastly improved it despite racist threats and things like her tires being slashed. She cut the song because she felt the depressing imagery at the beginning might be inappropriate for 5 year old and instead replaced it with "America the Beautiful". What is this retarded outrage conservatives have here?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Thumbs up for Bob Turner. Some people (like Hawkins) just can't understand that not everyone shares their hatred for this country.

So Ms. Hawkins banning the song for a kindergarten ceremony = hatred for this country?

And 2+2=5.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
She is obviously an inspiration to new teachers:

Which is very sad, and bodes ill for the nation. Hopefully more teachers who are inspired by her will leave.

What's sad is your hope that good teachers will be leaving schools where they are sorely needed. Indeed, one could doubt your love of country if you think good teachers leaving a school just because you don't agree with the principals decision on a song to be sung at a ceremony.

I know; your response will be along the lines of "I don't have a sense of humor and you were just kidding".

Quite sad.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

I'm going to disagree here. I've heard the song and I wouldn't have a clue what the heck was going on. If Hawkins had said "no patriotic songs" then there would have been an issue.

To put the shoe on the other foot, why does Turner hate "America the Beautiful"?

It's a politician making hay.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I've only heard part of this story so please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't she change it to some other song and then changed it to America the beautiful only after this went public?

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I've only heard part of this story so please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't she change it to some other song and then changed it to America the beautiful only after this went public?

Another paper, The New York Post, reported that Ms. Hawkins chose a Justin Bieber song instead of the Lee Greenwood song. I never read the Post article so I don't know how much truth there was to it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

That appears to be the case. The report is that she was going to pick a Justin Bieber song then changed it. That's from the NY Post so I take that with a grain of salt. While I could condemn Hawkins based on her taste in music at the very least she went with a traditional song and didn't make it a point of contention. It seems to be another tempest in a teapot.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
That appears to be the case. The report is that she was going to pick a Justin Bieber song then changed it. That's from the NY Post so I take that with a grain of salt. While I could condemn Hawkins based on her taste in music at the very least she went with a traditional song and didn't make it a point of contention. It seems to be another tempest in a teapot.

From what I've seen every article now points out that the NYT article about her picking a Justin Bieber song was wrong and that she in fact cut "Baby" as an option at the same time she nixed "God Bless the U.S.A."

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Representative Turner’s campaign staff perpetuated the myth, declaring in its news release that Principal Hawkins had forbidden kindergartners to sing “God Bless the U.S.A.” but instead allowed them “to sing a Justin Bieber song gauged toward teenagers.” When I asked the campaign press aide why this was being stated even when it wasn’t so, she said that she had relied on what had been “widely reported.” [/URL]

So Turner is a liar, no wonder he's getting all the republican votes. Its typical for rightwing trash like him to make up a story like this, then his simpleton followers simply parrot what they are told.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What's sad is your hope that good teachers will be leaving schools where they are sorely needed. Indeed, one could doubt your love of country if you think good teachers leaving a school just because you don't agree with the principals decision on a song to be sung at a ceremony.

If a teacher leaves because they are mad a principal was slapped down for making an obviously stupid decision, I would posit the mad and threatening to leave teacher is actualy not a good teacher.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
So... did you guys enlist to "stand up.... and defend her"? Or do you think you've got that covered via message board posting?

You shall not impugn the character of the chickenhawks with slander (or libel?) like this...
:colbert:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
What would you do
If you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?
What would you do
If asked to make the ultimate sacrifice?

Would you think about all them people
Who gave up everything they had?
Would you think about all them War Vets
And would you start to feel bad?

Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?

What would you do
If someone told you to fight for freedom?
Would you answer the call
Or run away like a little ?
'Cause the only reason that you're here
Is 'cause folks died for you in the past
So maybe now it's your turn
To die kicking some ass

Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
Now there's a hefty in' fee
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?

You don't throw in your buck 'o five. Who will?
Oooh buck 'o five
Freedom costs a buck 'o five

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
If a teacher leaves because they are mad a principal was slapped down for making an obviously stupid decision, I would posit the mad and threatening to leave teacher is actualy not a good teacher.

Sigh. Read the article. Ms. Nakashian (the teacher) said the vitriol and divisiveness was what making her consider leaving. She is not upset nor is she threatening to leave, she simply said she couldn't say beyond the next school year if she'd be staying.

The principal did not receive a slap down for her obviously smart and well thought decision. She decided to have a different patriotic song at the ceremony.

Are you saying that "God Bless The USA" is a more patriotic song then "America The Beautiful"?

"God Bless The USA" can't hold a candle to "America The Beautiful". And besides, G-d is more concerned with the universe/world, not just one country in the world.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Did you people even read the article? The principal did nothing wrong. The school has gone from a B rating to an A rating under her. She's vastly improved it despite racist threats and things like her tires being slashed. She cut the song because she felt the depressing imagery at the beginning might be inappropriate for 5 year old and instead replaced it with "America the Beautiful". What is this retarded outrage conservatives have here?

Yeah, no kidding. The ability of people to get "outraged" over the most ridiculous crap is truly mind boggling. In this case, it's basically just inventing something ridiculous to be outraged about. I mean, this would be a dumb thing to get worked up over even if people WEREN'T totally misunderstanding what was going on.