GM Food - Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey Smith

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
You guys realize fucking pigs that we eat are way different than pigs humans ate 50 years ago? 100 years ago? so on? Same with cattle, chicken, etc. We bred them to be certain ways to better suit our needs, we're doing the same with the plants we eat. I don't really see a problem with it. You know all those dog breeds we've created over the years? Yeah all the same species, we bred them for different qualities. You guys seriously need to realize that we've been doing this for YEARS.
Genetic changes normally evolve through natural selection over long periods of time. Breeding for different traits also takes years. Sticking a fish gene in a tomato circumvents this process. It's a crapshoot, which may be worth it if you're a Monsanto shareholder, not so much if you're concerned about unintended consequences for future generations.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
... those other minerals can be added into the hydroponic system, they can do whatever they want and change the taste however they want. also, i'm pretty sure it's the nitrogen that plays the biggest part in taste/texture. to much nitrogen can ruin it.

It isn't nitrogen that determines taste, far from it. My family grows a garden every year, and not some little back yard or city garden but 10 acres covering everything from corn to butter beans. We have done this for years. Everyone in the extended family , about 8 households contributes and we divide the crop. We do the same with cows for beef and hogs for pork. People have no idea what that crap they sell in grocery stores taste like compared to stuff grown the same way it has for centuries.

Minerals that effect flavor include copper, magnesium, nickel, iron, potassium, boron

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Besides, scientists dont simply change random genes and hope for the best. They investigate what particular genes do and then conduct tests to make sure that the change was for the

Actually they do change things randomly. You need to actually read the reports from companies like monsanto where they clearly state "Mechanism of action is unknown" . They make a change, it has a result that they want and they skip the part of asking why the result happened, they just know it did change and assume all is good.

I live around fields that do testing for these crops. They are easy to spot . Corn is grown and in front of the rows they place the signs with the batch trial numbers in the field. What happens if the pollen from one of their test crops crosses with a common variety that a farmer uses and causes it to mutate into something less disease resistant ? Do you know what they do to prevent this ? They mandate you cannot grow trial crops within 100ft of common crops. Wow, a whole 100ft.

The thing with GM foods is that it is NOT required. There is no need for it. The only reason for doing it is greed. They want to increase profits and do less work. There is not a crop grown today that cannot be grown the way it has been for centuries and still produce great food. The problem is it is too much work , they want it quicker and cheaper.

Tomatoes that are engineered to be insect resistant are a joke. Want to prevent insects on tomatoes, do what we have done for decades in my family. Plant marigold flowers near them . Insects can't stand them and will leave the plants alone. What has GM done ?, well marigold had too much of a scent so they engineered them to remove the scent. I hate to think what would happen if their GM version replaced the normal version, their goes natural pest control. Humanities downfall is always thinking we know what is best. We do it time and again where we put our ego first thinking we know everything and doing what we want and regretting it later. Scientist are often wrong and assuming that what they say is the pinnacle of understanding can lead to disaster.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Actually they do change things randomly. You need to actually read the reports from companies like monsanto where they clearly state "Mechanism of action is unknown" . They make a change, it has a result that they want and they skip the part of asking why the result happened, they just know it did change and assume all is good.

I live around fields that do testing for these crops. They are easy to spot . Corn is grown and in front of the rows they place the signs with the batch trial numbers in the field. What happens if the pollen from one of their test crops crosses with a common variety that a farmer uses and causes it to mutate into something less disease resistant ? Do you know what they do to prevent this ? They mandate you cannot grow trial crops within 100ft of common crops. Wow, a whole 100ft.

The thing with GM foods is that it is NOT required. There is no need for it. The only reason for doing it is greed. They want to increase profits and do less work. There is not a crop grown today that cannot be grown the way it has been for centuries and still produce great food. The problem is it is too much work , they want it quicker and cheaper.

Tomatoes that are engineered to be insect resistant are a joke. Want to prevent insects on tomatoes, do what we have done for decades in my family. Plant marigold flowers near them . Insects can't stand them and will leave the plants alone. What has GM done ?, well marigold had too much of a scent so they engineered them to remove the scent. I hate to think what would happen if their GM version replaced the normal version, their goes natural pest control. Humanities downfall is always thinking we know what is best. We do it time and again where we put our ego first thinking we know everything and doing what we want and regretting it later. Scientist are often wrong and assuming that what they say is the pinnacle of understanding can lead to disaster.

... you're a moron. Genetically modified crops are growing in places where crops could never grow before. GM crops have saved somewhere around a billion people from starvation. There is nothing wrong with it you guys are just loonies.

joeboggs

Mar 13, 2010
1) There is no credible evidence that GM foods are harmful.
2) That being said, the tactics of GM food companies can be quite despicable. Intentionally modifying species so they don't reproduce (a la Monsanto's rice varieties) is absolutely nothing more than a cash grab. Claiming you modify foods to be pest-resistant is one thing, modifying them to bring starving people back to you to buy seeds every season is abhorrent.

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
1) There is no credible evidence that GM foods are harmful
A little googling reveals many scientific studies casting grave doubt on the safety of GMO foods.

Here's one on soy:

55.6% Mortality in Rats Whose Mothers
Were Fed GM Soy

A recent Russian study found that an astounding 55.6% of the offspring of female rats fed genetically engineered soy flour died within three weeks. The female rats had received 5-7 grams of the Roundup Ready variety of soybeans, beginning two weeks before conception and continuing through nursing. By comparison, only 9% of the offspring of rats fed non-GM soy died. Furthermore, offspring from the GM-fed group were significantly stunted—36% weighed less than 20 grams after 2 weeks, compared to only 6.7% from the non-GM soy control group.

The study was conducted by Dr. Irina Ermakova, a leading scientist at the Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS). It was originally presented on October 10, 2005 to the symposium on genetic modification in Russia, organized by the National Association for Genetic Security (NAGS).

Here's one on corn:

A study published in the International Journal of Biological Sciences demonstrates the toxicity of three genetically modified corn varieties from the American seed company Monsanto, the Committee for Independent Research and Information on Genetic Engineering (Criigen, based in Caen), which participated in that study, announced Friday, December 11.

"For the first time in the world, we've proven that GMO are neither sufficiently healthy nor proper to be commercialized. [...] Each time, for all three GMOs, the kidneys and liver, which are the main organs that react to a chemical food poisoning, had problems," indicated Gilles-Eric Séralini, an expert member of the Commission for Biotechnology Reevaluation, created by the EU in 2008.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
1) There is no credible evidence that GM foods are harmful.

If you really care, you can start here: http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Pusztai/GM/Pusztai_Science_GM_Food.html

Nearly ten years after the introduction of GM foodcrops there are still only a handful of published studies about their safety. Independent studies are even fewer, moreover, no peer-reviewed publications exist in which the results of clinical investigations on the possible effects of GM food on human health are described.

The importance of toxicological/nutritional testing using laboratory animals was already recognized by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration in the USA) in 1992 by requesting Calgene# to commission the safety evaluation of FLAVR-SAVRTM tomato, the first GM crop, before it could be released. This was despite the fact that the results of chemical analyses showed that there were no significant alterations in the composition of the tomatoes and therefore the GM and parent tomatoes were "substantially equivalent."

The FLAVR-SAVRTM safety studies and their results have not been peer-reviewed or published. However, as they are now on the internet (Alliance for Biointegrity, 1998) it was possible to subject the study to independent critical scrutiny. From this it is difficult to understand how the FDA came to the conclusion that these GM tomatoes were safe and needed no further studies.

Even more importantly, no histology was done on the intestines although some of the female rats developed erosive/necrotic stomach lesions (Table 1). However, these were dismissed by the FDA because the lesions were claimed to be spontaneous/transitory and unrelated to GM tomatoes but probably due to mucolytic agents, food restriction and/or stress resulting from animal restraint. However, tomatoes are not know to contain mucolytic agents, feed was provided ad lib, rats were not restrained or stressed and all test and control rats were treated the same way.

Or this: http://planetsave.com/blog/2009/06/...modified-gm-crops-are-harmful-to-your-health/

In order for the FDA to determine if Monsanto’s growth hormones were safe or not, Monsanto was required to submit a scientific report on that topic. Margaret Miller, one of Monsanto’s researchers put the report together.
Shortly before the report submission, Miller left Monsanto and was hired by the FDA. Her first job for the FDA was to determine whether or not to approve the report she wrote for Monsanto. In short, Monsanto approved its own report. Assisting Miller was another former Monsanto researcher, Susan Sechen. Deciding whether or not rBGH-derived milk should be labeled fell under the jurisdiction of another FDA official, Michael Taylor, who previously worked as a lawyer for Monsanto.

Theres alot of politics involved with GM food, and also if you care you can watch the video in my sig.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It isn't nitrogen that determines taste, far from it. My family grows a garden every year, and not some little back yard or city garden but 10 acres covering everything from corn to butter beans. We have done this for years. Everyone in the extended family , about 8 households contributes and we divide the crop. We do the same with cows for beef and hogs for pork. People have no idea what that crap they sell in grocery stores taste like compared to stuff grown the same way it has for centuries.

Minerals that effect flavor include copper, magnesium, nickel, iron, potassium, boron

uh... might want to do some research on it then because nitrogen does change the taste of food.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
uh... might want to do some research on it then because nitrogen does change the taste of food.

Nitrogen effects the rate of growth . I can put the same amount of nitrogen into a plant and provide one with lots of iron and the other minimal amounts and the plant with iron will taste different even though they both had the same amount of nitrogen. Ever taste nitrogen ?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Nitrogen effects the rate of growth . I can put the same amount of nitrogen into a plant and provide one with lots of iron and the other minimal amounts and the plant with iron will taste different even though they both had the same amount of nitrogen. Ever taste nitrogen ?

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PLANTS GET TOO MUCH NITROGEN:

Plants that get too much nitrogen have alot of foliage (leaf) growth but are not strong. Plants that are not strong can get diseases more easily, can be bothered more by bugs, and can eventually fall over and die. An excess amount of nitrogen in plants can affect the amount of sugar and vitamins in fruits and vegetables, making them taste different. More importantly excess nitrogen can build up in plant tissues causing toxicity (poisoning) in livestock and in small children who eat nitrogen rich, leafy vegetables.

http://soil.gsfc.nasa.gov/soilfert/npk.htm

yes nitrogen has nothing to do with the taste of a plant. like i said maybe you should do some research. nitrogen doesn't have a taste, it still can have an adverse affect on taste.

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
Well then your not a foodie and your opinion of organic and high end cuisine is useless. Unless you can comprehend the elegance and unreal subtle flavours of seared foie gra with a muskat or a white truffle you can't balk at people spending 20% to 40% more for food because you dont get it.

loki- I don't give a fuck what the 3rd world does. I want to see on the ingredients list if it has gm ingredients. As a consumer I have a right to know what I'm eating. I want to see the pesticides used listed as well.

Anyone who calls themselves a foodie is a putz.

Also, every bit of produce you eat has been genetically modified. You're pretty naive if you think otherwise. Even if you grow all of your own produce in the back yard. Every strain of fruit or veg available now has been genetically modified in some way.

You'd be surprised how little something like the Corn we eat has in common with what Corn originally was.