GK106 die shot, once again with new specs

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I posted a clock chart to show that "overclocking" is something both AMD and Nvidia are doing to maximize performance. Would people prefer if NV and AMD locked down clocks and made it almost impossible to get better performance even though the headroom is there? Is AMD supposed to sit idly by and not raise clocks on their GPUs even if they can? :\

I responded to the sarcastic post attempting to say, well the 7970GHz edition is overclocked, meaning there must be something wrong with it. Which is hypocritical ignorance at its best.

Okay then. Nothing left to discuss, your job here is done.
Of course not and I am glad that they responded

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Who cares? What a stupid reply.

GTX6XX is not an overclocked 6xx? No, they are not.

If you're going to reply with nonsense such as this, why bother replying? What do you add to the discussion, saying who cares ?

NVIDIA PLEASE RELEASE A 680 BOOST AND THEN AMD CAN RE RELEASE AMD GHZ 2ND EDITION AND THE CYCLE CAN KEEP GOING, BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY, WHO CARES?!

A classic example here of why NVIDIA is the better company.

Not sure if you just registered just to troll or flame bait, but every single Kepler boosts. Just admit that Nvidia is not the top performer right now. Relieve that internet stress dude.

BigBuster

Banned
Sep 1, 2012
Not sure if you just registered just to troll or flame bait, but every single Kepler boosts. Just admit that Nvidia is not the top performer right now. Relieve that internet stress dude.

How the hell is kepler boost the same as RE RELEASING TWO VIDEO CARDS?!?!? Can you please explain that to me!? Why don't you just admit you couldn't afford the better product? This forum is so AMD bias its sickening.

NVIDIA IS the top performer. Everything shows, sales, reputation, performance, you know.. without having to re release cards to compete? everything.

BigBuster

Banned
Sep 1, 2012
Benchmark purposes? I think you're wrong, the purpose was to hold top performance and price/performance, a strategy which executed wonderfully. Lol, you've got nothing else. Good.

Yes i have nothing else yet your posts are 'LOL AMD IZ BETTER PRICE/PERFORMANCE CUZ I OVERCLOCKED MY 7950 TO 12784638 MHZ ON TEH CORE TO MATCH UR 670 AND SAVED 50 DOLLARS!!! SO THATS Y NVIDIA IS NOT BEZT PERFORMER AT THE MOEMTN, ADMIT IT!!'

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Lol, integrity. If people buying graphics cards really cared about a company's integrity, why buy Nvidia after Crysis 2 invisible tess, or Bumpgate?

That really is the #1 reason to avoid Nvidia. They like to charge extra for their premium brand but if anything goes wrong and they would have to pay serious money to set it right, they just walk away and leave the fools (me included) who bought [their stuff] to pay the price.

Mind you, I had known about their aggressive marketing tactics before I bought my failing bumbgated card but I naively did not count that a company which behaves like that in their marketing might behave similar if something goes wrong...

Anyway back to BigBuster's argument that releasing new SKUs is cheap or sneaky: what about Nvidia's penchant for confusing their customers with endless different SKUs? While both AMD and Nvidia do this, NV do seem to be far worse.

Last edited:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
NVIDIA IS the top performer. Everything shows, sales, reputation, performance, you know.. without having to re release cards to compete? everything.
():)
Yes i have nothing else yet your posts are 'LOL AMD IZ BETTER PRICE/PERFORMANCE CUZ I OVERCLOCKED MY 7950 TO 12784638 MHZ ON TEH CORE TO MATCH UR 670 AND SAVED 50 DOLLARS!!! SO THATS Y NVIDIA IS NOT BEZT PERFORMER AT THE MOEMTN, ADMIT IT!!'
Bleh, try and tone things down a bit. D:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Anyway back to BigBuster's argument that releasing new SKUs is cheap or sneaky: what about Nvidia's penchant for confusing their customers with endless different SKUs? While both AMD and Nvidia do this, NV do seem to be far worse.
Nvidia is very clever here. The 660Ti reviews are what people will read, but OEMs will sell the 660s. Slower, cheaper to produce, but almost the same model number. Ultimately it is the fault of the consumer, buyer beware, but Nvidia knows exactly what they are doing.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
How the hell is kepler boost the same as RE RELEASING TWO VIDEO CARDS?!?!? Can you please explain that to me!? Why don't you just admit you couldn't afford the better product? This forum is so AMD bias its sickening.

I dont understand new registers rolloing into the forum to spout crap like this :confused:

Lol whoa buddy. Remember that you're getting worked up over graphics cards. I've owned two 680s, DC II and Gigabyte reference, as well as a 7970 and a 7950. Only a child insults with what you can or can't afford, or l33t caps garbage. Too bad you don't have any thoughtful responses. Insults typically come when you've got nothing else, which..... You don't. Form some coherent thoughts and try again.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Nvidia is very clever here. The 660Ti reviews are what people will read, but OEMs will sell the 660s. Slower, cheaper to produce, but almost the same model number. Ultimately it is the fault of the consumer, buyer beware, but Nvidia knows exactly what they are doing.

Yes, I was planning to mention that but couldn't remember exactly how the OEM version of the 660TI differs and couldn't be bothered to search for it. The GT640 GDDR5/DDR3 is similar although NV seem to not have pushed any reviews of that out. Also, a lot of those GK107 mobile parts seem to sell on the strength of the Kepler name more than anything else. Well at least I don't see the point of going for something which has a few % more performance than Intel HD4000 especially since so many millions had bad experience with Nvidia parts in laptops.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Its always the consumer who needs to do his homework otherwise they will be easily blown by Nvidia marketing. At current prices Nvidia cards are 50 bucks overpriced. But it doesn't matter as Nvidia has enough brand loyalty among its buyers so it won't bother.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Who cares, what matters is performance.

And that is where the problem lies -------- performance is very important and compelling alone but some may feel performance with efficiency is as well. Some may have different reasons from feature differentiation to support.

Kepler strengths may be its efficiency and some differentiation - this may not be compelling enough for all gamers and thankfully, there are other vendor choices that offer compelling performance at ultra high resolutions, added default ram and tangible strengths.

It's all good because between the two companies, gamers have the choice to decide what best fits their subjective tastes, tolerances and budget. Allow the market to decide instead of vocal claims of superiority over each other.

AMD offers compelling choice -- wonderful to see them take the single GPU Crown -- wonderful to see aggressive pricing and hopefully retake and garner discrete share.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Its always the consumer who needs to do his homework otherwise they will be easily blown by Nvidia marketing. At current prices Nvidia cards are 50 bucks overpriced. But it doesn't matter as Nvidia has enough brand loyalty among its buyers so it won't bother.

AMD marketing, too!:)

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
AMD marketing, too!:)

Nvidia GTX 460 SE
Nvidia GTX 460 OEM
Nvidia GTX 460 768
Nvidia GTX 460 1GB
Nvidia GTX 460 Version 2

Consumer reads a review of a Nvidia GTX 460 1gb, and assumes thats what hes getting when he buys a 460...... its not what he gets.

AMD are no where close to Nvidia, when it comes to "tricking" people with odd prefix/sufixes.

Im not saying nvidia does it on purpose to profit off those that dont know better... but it happends every generation with cards they have.

with the 5xx series:

Geforce GTX 560 SE
Geforce GTX 560
Geforce GTX 560 TI
Geforce GTX 560 OEM
Geforce GTX 560 TI 448 (limited eddition)

Which of the 5 differnt models of 560, do you think people think of when they read reviews?
Probably the top model right? then they get the SE edition and dont understand why they dont get the same results as reviewers did.

Its borderline trickery.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
"Its borderline trickery"

good grief. Intel has tons of different i3, i5 and i7 configurations with vastly different performance too. so I guess its trickery when a mobile i7 is slower than a desktop i5? if the product's specs are clearly listed then the consumers's ignorance should not be mistaken for trickery by the company.

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@Toyota

Its not the same, the i3'/i5's ect have a number rateing thats differnt (depending on model).
And mobile and non mobile is hardly the same, as compaireing to 5 differnt versions of the same graphics card.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
@Toyota

Its not the same, the i3'/i5's ect have a number rateing thats differnt (depending on model).
And mobile and non mobile is hardly the same, as compaireing to 5 differnt versions of the same graphics card.
sorry but Intel's cpu naming scheme would probably be WAY more confusing to the average person. I see no trickery in Nvidia's names and they list all their products, including OEM, right there on their website.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Nvidia GTX 460 SE
Nvidia GTX 460 OEM
Nvidia GTX 460 768
Nvidia GTX 460 1GB
Nvidia GTX 460 Version 2

Consumer reads a review of a Nvidia GTX 460 1gb, and assumes thats what hes getting when he buys a 460...... its not what he gets.

AMD are no where close to Nvidia, when it comes to "tricking" people with odd prefix/sufixes.

Im not saying nvidia does it on purpose to profit off those that dont know better... but it happends every generation with cards they have.

with the 5xx series:

Geforce GTX 560 SE
Geforce GTX 560
Geforce GTX 560 TI
Geforce GTX 560 OEM

Which of the 5 differnt models of 560, do you think people think of when they read reviews?
Probably the top model right? then they get the SE edition and dont understand why they dont get the same results as reviewers did.

Its borderline trickery.

QFT

A minimum IQ of 70 is too often simply assumed

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
And that is where the problem lies -------- performance is very important and compelling alone but some may feel performance with efficiency is as well.
Someone like me, as I had already stated:
It doesn't matter if it is "overclocked" or not what matters is how it performs for the money and power draw.
I also said:
I'm very vocal about efficiency but Kepler gives up too much for it IMO.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Now, allow the market to decide how important efficiency is. Will be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Nvidia GTX 460 SE
Nvidia GTX 460 OEM
Nvidia GTX 460 768
Nvidia GTX 460 1GB
Nvidia GTX 460 Version 2

with the 5xx series:

Geforce GTX 560 SE
Geforce GTX 560
Geforce GTX 560 TI
Geforce GTX 560 OEM

Its borderline trickery.

Where are all the dreaded gamers that purchased a GTX 560 OEM, thinking they actually purchased a GTX 560 TI 448?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Where are all the dreaded gamers that purchased a GTX 560 OEM, thinking they actually purchased a GTX 560 TI 448?
I haz SE model so why I cant run games like GTX560 Ti in reviews? damn Nvidia tricksters.

brandon888

Jun 28, 2012
that makes me laugh :D:D:D Nvidia tricksters :D

it's same if you say .... why i can't get same performance on 7970 stock like 7970 GHZ edition lol :D:D

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

Dude, chill.