Give me your sore throat/cold remedies.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Beer is better for a sore throat than whisky. The alcohol's more dilute, so it goes down slower. In my experience it does a better job of numbing a sore throat. Whisky does taste better though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yay! I need to at least be feeling adequate for the huge matches tomorrow morning. :eek:

KT

or gargle mouthwash with your head tilted back. DO NOT SWALLOW.

drink (diluted) alcohol through a straw can reduce the amount thus spread out the total surface area it washes over. Works better.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I really don't recommend any alcohol. It could boost your morale, but that's about it.

Warm liquids will sooth your throat; hot tea with honey works quite well. Also, the brand "Cepacol" seems to be the strongest throat lozenge I've been able to find. It'll numb you up quickly, but it doesn't completely relieve the symptoms. You'll want to take some sinus decongestant medicine (Sudafed or equivalent) to keep the sinus drip from further irritating your throat. Stay away from smoking, if you're into that. Get a healthy dose of vitamin C. Take Nyquil (or equivalent) to sleep, as it'll lower your fever (if any), reduce your sinus drip, reduce the pain, and make you sleepy.

The key to getting better, faster, is to eat well, stay hydrated, and get lots of rest. So if you're having trouble sleeping, get drugged up! If you can't eat because it hurts, get drugged up and/or get some soup.

Do not drink alcohol. It'll dehydrate you and hinder your immune system's capabilities.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. Just get the 99 cent bottle and go about 50/50 peroxide/water (I usually just take a small swig and then take a sip of water). It's awesome for sore throats. It'll wipe out any germs that might be down there and help break up the junk that's been building up (at least, this is my understanding of it). Regardless, it usually helps immensely with clearly up sore throats for me.

Peroxide is also almost tasteless, and not immensely disgusting like salt water.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My indian coworker swears by cardamom. Just take one pod of it and stick it in between your gums and teeth for a bit.

iufan4lifeul

May 21, 2010
Tylenol/Ibuprofen for sore throat, lots of clear liquids, and if you think its caused by drainage then some sort of anti-histamine (zyrtec, claritin, benadryl).

Or you could do alcohol, either works :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Interesting. Thanks guys.

Definitely never heard of the cardamom thing. I love the taste of cardamom, so maybe I'll try it.

KT

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
The last 3 times I've had a sore throat I eventually had to go with prescription drugs. I was unable to remedy them even after a week of common remedies. Each time I went to the doctor, they gave me penicillin and it worked within 2 days.

Even though it was not strep, the doc told me that a sore throat can cause heart strain/damage if left for too long, so if normal at home remedies don't work and the soreness lingers, you may want to go get some drugs.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Sweating usually makes me feel better for some reason. A lot of times when I'm sick, I'll turn the heater on in the car or start exercising.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, this whiskey is strong stuff. I'm not sure I like it much. :hmm:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Put a bit of water in it. That's close to 100 proof if memory serves. Mix it down to 70-80 proof. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but that's one of my favorites.

Yeah I'm watering it down a bit, but it still packs a whallop. No sore throat anymore though, so that's nice. :awe:

KT