Girl With Down Syndrome Could Face Death in Pakistan

Apr 27, 2012
A Christian girl with down syndrome could face the death penalty after allegedly burning pages of the quran. Defaming islam, muhamad or the quran is a death penalty in pakistan. There are conflicting reports of the story since some people are saying she didn't burn the pages and her age isn't accurate.

This case shows just how backwards pakistan is and there blasphemy laws must be ended.

Do you agree that pakistan is doing the wrong thing and the girl should be free?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...enalty-for-allegedly-burning/?test=latestnews

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Outside of killing them all, which certainly would not help her or any other victim of Islam, the best we can do is engage Pakistan economically and force reform through incentives.

Of course that will never happen so long as Russia, China, and India are not on board with such measures. It'd require a unified front in favor of basic human rights. How to construct and achieve such an economic power... is another matter entirely - but it's a good place to start short of nuclear winter.

Apr 27, 2012
Agreed. Pakistan is in horrible condition and must be fixed or they will pose bigger problems soon.

There treatment of Christians is disgusting

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Really sad, and Incorruptible it's really pathetic you only care because she is Christian.

Anyways a quote from the story you linked: "Another police officer said the matter would likely be dropped once the investigation is completed and the atmosphere is defused, saying there was "nothing much to the case." He did not want to be identified due to the sensitivity of the case.

I really hope this is the case, religious persecution is such bullshit and I hope eventually people move on from that garbage all together.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Not to worry, Incorruptible is going to start a thread lamenting the execution of mentally retarded folk.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Anyways a quote from the story you linked: "Another police officer said the matter would likely be dropped now that international attention has been brought to the case, saying there was "nothing much to the case." He did not want to be identified due to the the threat of being beheaded himself.

Ftfy

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I live in Pakistan and the Western media blows these things way out of proportion. Minorities are being targeted, but it's much less severe than it was in the USA in the 50s and 60s against blacks. There are about 5% non-Muslims in Pakistan, but generally there is not much discrimination against them in government posts and private offices.

This girl will NEVER be hanged. It's just propaganda. Not one person has ever been sentenced to death for blasphemy. The girl does NOT have downs syndrome. There is no proof of that.

I don't know why the Western media is making such a big deal about this. It's reported here to, but we have many other bigger issues--such as illegal drone strikes and terrorism directly related to false American media leaks.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I disagree with the OP. Their country, their rules. I don't care what they do to their own.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The specifics of this case really don't matter (downs, age of the girl and so forth). The country is so backwards and screwed up that merely uttering some words some people don't agree with, or treating some paper pages in a way others don't agree with is enough to get you killed. That says it all.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Confusing article; lead paragraph talks about a Christian girl with Down Syndrome but in the last paragraph it says, "when the girl was brought to the police station she was scared and unable to speak normally, but he did not know whether she is mentally handicapped."

I'm not even certain that the girl is Christian. The LA Times report indicated that several Christian homes in the area where the girl lived were vandalized and burned but neither article says for sure that the girl and her mother are Christian. Not that I would think that Fox News might be trying to play up the Christian angle or anything.

To the OP: In your own commentary you acknowledge the conflicting information about this event. Do you really think your questions in your commentary are appropriate to ask in light of the conflicted information?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
The issue that I have with this type of stuff in general is the Hysteria that this can generate among Muslims. A Muslim accusses a non-muslim of Blashpmey and all the Muslims get whipped into a frenzy and start rioting. The person accussed gets arrested. The entire evidence is very flimsy as far as I can see. Where are the Muslim Clerics calling for some type of evidence to be presented before the person is judged?

Apr 27, 2012
Confusing article; lead paragraph talks about a Christian girl with Down Syndrome but in the last paragraph it says, "when the girl was brought to the police station she was scared and unable to speak normally, but he did not know whether she is mentally handicapped."

I'm not even certain that the girl is Christian. The LA Times report indicated that several Christian homes in the area where the girl lived were vandalized and burned but neither article says for sure that the girl and her mother are Christian. Not that I would think that Fox News might be trying to play up the Christian angle or anything.

To the OP: In your own commentary you acknowledge the conflicting information about this event. Do you really think your questions in your commentary are appropriate to ask in light of the conflicted information?

Yes the information is conflicting but the fact she could face a death penalty worries me and I posted this. Even if she isn't Christian with no down syndrome but is a muslim and is older she still doesn't deserve to be killed.

This is a real problem in the world where something so small upsets people this much

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
This case shows just how backwards pakistan is and there blasphemy laws must be ended.

Do you agree that pakistan is doing the wrong thing and the girl should be free?

No, the problem is with multiculturalism and she should be killed for defying their laws, as per their laws.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Yes the information is conflicting but the fact she could face a death penalty worries me and I posted this. Even if she isn't Christian with no down syndrome but is a muslim and is older she still doesn't deserve to be killed.

This is a real problem in the world where something so small upsets people this much

We see it all the time even in the U.S. even though we don't have blasphemy laws, at least not ones that are prosecuted. People of faith generally don't like to have their faith questioned and depending on the society in which they live will react vociferously and sometimes violently to having their beliefs challenged. My opinion; if your belief in your faith can't stand a little challenge or reality thrown at it then it's not much of a faith.

I'm not saying the cases are similar but they do involve matters of faith: Recently in Missouri a change to our state constitution's 2nd Amendment that allows children who are Creationists to refuse to study or work on projects involving Evolution.

Apr 27, 2012
We see it all the time even in the U.S. even though we don't have blasphemy laws, at least not ones that are prosecuted. People of faith generally don't like to have their faith questioned and depending on the society in which they live will react vociferously and sometimes violently to having their beliefs challenged. My opinion; if your belief in your faith can't stand a little challenge or reality thrown at it then it's not much of a faith.

I'm not saying the cases are similar but they do involve matters of faith: Recently in Missouri a change to our state constitution's 2nd Amendment that allows children who are Creationists to refuse to study or work on projects involving Evolution.

Please provide evidence that this happens in the US

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Please provide evidence that this happens in the US

go visit any of these born again places.

they get very pissed off if you challenge their shaded beliefs.

Maybe not to the point of throwing rocks; but they will make people questioning feel uncomfortable. They do not always act peaceful as they profess.