Girl With Down Syndrome Could Face Death in Pakistan

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
In your opinion
What will happen to the imam?
What should happen to him?

Will this issue have a greater impact on others bringing charges against people who are not of the Muslim faith?

Religious councils are appealing to free the girl and put the imam behind bars. When the right wingers are saying this, it really conveys the general mood. I feel the international media is trying to defame Pakistan by only portraying one side of the story.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
In your opinion
What will happen to the imam?
What should happen to him?

Will this issue have a greater impact on others bringing charges against people who are not of the Muslim faith?

Religious councils are appealing to free the girl and put the imam behind bars. When the right wingers are saying this, it really conveys the general mood. I feel the international media is trying to defame Pakistan by only portraying one side of the story.

Thanks

The US media was playing the framing story over the weekend.
Previously the framing was unknown and we had what had been released by your media outlets/religious system.

Can you provide an answer to the last question in my group; the overall projected impact on pressing charges against others?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Can you provide an answer to the last question in my group; the overall projected impact on pressing charges against others?

Yes. In my opinion, uneducated non-Muslims like the girl are not the target of the blasphemy law. We only make a fool of ourselves by making accusations such as these and give the Western media a chance to mock us. The real targets of this law are literary personalities like Salman Rushdie.

I think to uphold the sanctity of the blasphemy law, even the extreme right wing does not support petty cases such as these. Of course there are those that burn flags and riot just for fun or some money.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Yes. In my opinion, uneducated non-Muslims like the girl are not the target of the blasphemy law. We only make a fool of ourselves by making accusations such as these and give the Western media a chance to mock us. The real targets of this law are literary personalities like Salman Rushdie.

I think to uphold the sanctity of the blasphemy law, even the extreme right wing does not support petty cases such as these. Of course there are those that burn flags and riot just for fun or some money.

here add me to that.

Muhammad was a pedophile rapist.

muhammad_cartoon.jpg

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

TGB

Thanks for the insight.

Please ignore those that choose to attempt to bait you.
They become as much as a fool for tolerance to other cultures as they claim you are.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Ohhhhhh, I get it. When their religion doesn't allow something and applies it to people of other religions, it's wrong - it's about freedom. When YOUR religion doesn't allow something and wants it applied to everyone else, then that's okay.

I think you're losing sight of an important difference; Our religion is correct.

Theirs is not.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
2000 years ago, cultures were different.

Daughters were expected to grow up similar to the mother.

If the mother was unavailable; then claim the daughter.

such was done in the European cultures also; although at times the husband would be killed so the lord could have the woman.

Eastern cultures also had young wives.

And Polynesian cultures the same.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
2000 years ago, cultures were different.
Yet will full efforts to incite singular hatred upon a commonly specific group is the tolerably and accepted norm here at AnandTech.

This site earns the reputation its society has fostered.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003

Pfft, the targets of Blasphemy laws are anyone they want...Its no different than the anti-Jewish laws the Nazi's had, and simply accusing so and so of being a Jew could get them killed...In this case fanatical Muslims can [and DO] claim/lie that a Christian family "blasphemy" Islam and then their world becomes upside down or they are killed.

Islamo-Nazi laws such as Blasphemy are used to oppress people, period.

If that were not the case then 300 Christian families in Pakistan would not be living in tents right now due to some asshole Imam planting fake evidence on a mentally disabled Christian girl over there...But he did, and sure enough their world is upside down now due to laws that belong back in 700AD.

Apr 27, 2012
Pfft, the targets of Blasphemy laws are anyone they want...Its no different than the anti-Jewish laws the Nazi's had, and simply accusing so and so of being a Jew could get them killed...In this case fanatical Muslims can [and DO] claim/lie that a Christian family "blasphemy" Islam and then their world becomes upside down or they are killed.

If that were not the case then 300 Christian families in Pakistan would not be living in tents right now due to some asshole Imam planting fake evidence on a mentally disabled Christian girl over there...But he did, and sure enough their world is upside down now due to laws that belong back in 700AD.

And this is why we must make sure that this doesn't happen in the US, its already slowly starting to happen

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Yet the Christian religion has a statement in their test that is just the same.
And supposedly people were readily killed based on such.
And have been over the 3500 years.
such lasted until the time of the crusades; so the Christian interpretation is much older and pronounced than the Muslim interpretation that you complain about.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
such lasted until the time of the crusades; so the Christian interpretation is much older and pronounced than the Muslim interpretation that you complain about.

yes and The Quran is 100% stolen from the bible and other books.

Apr 27, 2012

There aren't many Christians who favor the DEATH PENALTY FOR INSULTING CHRISTIANITY COMPARED TO Islam

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

So what is going on here? Is there any evidence that she mad any derogatory comments about Muhammad? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_Bibi