Gird your wallets: Steam introduces Daily Deals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I don't get the point of this if I don't know what games are going to be on sale in advance, especially if I don't have money ready for any games I might be interested in the same day it "suddenly" goes on sale for just that day. If I knew about a week in advance which games would be on sale for the next week (every day for that week) then I could leave some loose money for that purpose at the bank or give the necessary week for PayPal to process my credits, otherwise I wouldn't be able to.

I guess it's good for people who don't care nor mind buying impulsively.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I don't get the point of this if I don't know what games are going to be on sale in advance, especially if I don't have money ready for any games I might be interested in the same day it "suddenly" goes on sale for just that day. If I knew about a week in advance which games would be on sale for the next week (every day for that week) then I could leave some loose money for that purpose at the bank or give the necessary week for PayPal to process my credits, otherwise I wouldn't be able to.

Don't see the point of this? It is genius.

Instead of people just check Steam on Tuesday/Thursday for the usual sales, they will check everyday or much more often. Chances you increased time spent on Steam will also increase sales.

If you know what games you want, why not just put some money to the side and use it when they do appear on sale.

They get more sales, we get more games cheaper, I'm seeing no down side here. Well besides my wallet needing CPR.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
lol i actually have this game but never installed it yet. got it during another steam sale

Same here. I'm not affected by the sale, since I already bought almost all games.

That happened to the sale a day in April at ign - like 3 days had games I didn't own.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've begin to notice this the inverse relationship between how many Steamsale games I buy vs. how much time I spend playing said games.

Ding ding ding. You go from 'gamer' to 'game collector'.

You then find yourself spending hours looking at hundreds of titles trying to pick one.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Ding ding ding. You go from 'gamer' to 'game collector'.

You then find yourself spending hours looking at hundreds of titles trying to pick one.

Think about it, when we are all old and retired, we can spend the last of our days finishing our backlogs :D

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Don't see the point of this? It is genius.

Instead of people just check Steam on Tuesday/Thursday for the usual sales, they will check everyday or much more often. Chances you increased time spent on Steam will also increase sales.

If you know what games you want, why not just put some money to the side and use it when they do appear on sale.

They get more sales, we get more games cheaper, I'm seeing no down side here. Well besides my wallet needing CPR.

Yeah I guess seeing it that way would make sense for those that are concerned by it.

I'm not the type of consumer who "puts money to the side just in case" a game would be on sale that I would happen to want. I'm the kind of consumer who plans (most of the time, not saying I never bought anything or games because of hype or impulsion, I've done it several times, but generally speaking I don't). In my case specifically I would rather wait until a specific game I would like goes on sale on a specific date that I would be aware of in advance, that way I would put the exact amount of money necessary just for that and buy it the supposed day during which it'd be on sale.

If I just "put money to the side just in case" I might end up leaving... say... $40 or so "just in case" and then I'd end up buying perhaps two or three games going on sale in the next two or three weeks, perhaps in just one week, and those games as I know myself well enough would end up unplayed, barely touched, or forgotten (hence the reference to impulsive purchases which usually end up under-appreciated after a short time). On the other hand, "warn" me one week or two in advance that for instance The Witcher 2 goes on sale (pure example) and I will most likely put the money to buy just that at its price during that sale (if the price is revealed as well) and call it a night. I would also end up playing it.

I know the "point" is to make money, I mean it's obvious of course and it's fine I guess, but those "out of the blue" games sales are everything but interesting to me. I need a minimum amount of information in advance so that I can plan my things and my finances accordingly. As I said I did in the past, buy games just for the heck of it or because they were on sale and I wanted to "try them out" at that price, but around 8 games out of 10 in such cases bored me fast or I had regrets after. There will be some exceptions to the "rule" in the near future, I do know that I will buy Diablo III, Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim on day one, and I do know that those games (perhaps except for DIII) will end up on sales just one or two months after their release.

But generally speaking I don't impulsively buy games anymore (the last one was Mass Effect 2, which was anticipated by thousands for years) not since a few years, I guess that age and general disappointment of gaming helps to not fall on the impulsion wagon, too.

Last edited:

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
But I'm still trying to catch up with stuff from the last TWO Xmas sales. Oh my, I need to be laid off so I can catch up.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I didn't make it but I had to share.

5yxb1.jpg

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Bought it.

Does this compare to any of the COD series? I've honestly never heard of it but figured it has to be worth $5.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

If people were buying "impulsively", they would not be waiting for the sales.

I have 4 computers in my house, 3 of them have steam accounts - mine, my daughters (she is 15), and my sons (he is 17). To be able to afford to buy games for all 3 of us, I have to wait for the sales.

So no, I do not call it buying "impulsively", I call it buying conservatively. I wait on the sales, when I see something I like or my kids will like, I buy it.

This daily sale is no different then the midweek madness and weekend sale that has been going on for years. But now its everyday instead of twice a week.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Think about it, when we are all old and retired, we can spend the last of our days finishing our backlogs :D

Better put that in your will too. Whoever acquires your estate is required to finish your backlog of games so that it isn't wasted.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Better put that in your will too. Whoever acquires your estate is required to finish your backlog of games so that it isn't wasted.

They would literally have a lifetime of gameplay with mine.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

It takes you a week to get $5 ready? :confused:

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I've begin to notice this the inverse relationship between how many Steamsale games I buy vs. how much time I spend playing said games.

Since I started buying Steam/GOG/Amazon/direct2drive games 2 years ago I have played

Kings Bounty: the legend
Kings Bounty: AP
League of Legends
Puzzle Quest (steam)
Defense Grid (steam)
Plants v Zombies (steam)
Titan Quest

However I also have 17 new games that I haven't played or have played less than 2 hours and will probably never play and from some of the posts on here I suspect that is on the very few for most people.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It takes you a week to get $5 ready? :confused:

Yes unfortunately, 7 days is the usual waiting time (Canadian transfer). Additionally, I'm not using my credit card on PayPal, I do my things with my debit card there, which also increases the waiting time, but I don't mind that much. I heavily restrict myself using my credit card in general, and I don't use it for online transactions, I merely use it at retail stores, restaurants (rarely, but happens) and other few places, I just very rarely use it in general.

But anyway, that waiting period at PayPal is perhaps the major reason why I have this opinion concerning unannounced daily sales (I.E not telling which games will be on sale specifically in advance, by a week or so), otherwise I would know which games would be on sale and I would have the time needed by PayPal to process the transaction and get the credits ready for when the day of the sale finally arrives. It's rather inconvenient (to not announce titles specifically) but I am aware that people in my exact situation must be quite a thin minority out there.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010

I always keep some spare cash in my account for impulse purchases. Try doing that or get a credit card.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
so...

Should I buy flashpoint?

Please say no, please say no, please say no.

No not really. Unless you are military/strategy hardcore junkie. The game is fairly realistic, so unless you're into that sort of stuff, it's going to feel more like a grind than an enjoyable experience. This is NOT the game you can pick up for some "quick fun".
It got a 7.5 on GS because of mediocre AI and bugs'a'plenty. Still it must be mentioned that after patches, it is now a pretty damn good game, provided you have no life and you're willing to put in the time.