Gingrich surges into Second in GOP Primaries

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I wonder if picking someone with mostly right-wing appeal is a good idea for the Republicans in 2012. It seems like now would be a good time for them to try to peel off some moderate and liberal support from Obama. I understand the need to energize and motivate the base, but it seems like that's equally likely to energize and motivate the base on the other side who may not love their candidate, but absolutely can't stand the Republican one.

Gingrich seems like the worst of both worlds. He's not very likely to appeal to anyone with a lefty bent, but he's also not an ideal candidate to energize the Republican base with his less than spectacular social conservative appeal.

I understand your thinking and mostly agree.

But I think for many conservatives fiscal issues are by far the most important at this time. And I think the disappointment in the fiscal behavior of Republicans under GWB, both in the Exec and Legislative branches, compels these voters to make sure they're not electing a(nother) RINO. The type who talks a small govt, balanced budget 'game' then gets in and explodes spending, albeit at a slightly smaller pace than Dems. I.e., their desire for a 'bona-fide' conservative is pushing them to candidates on the right.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some saw McCain as that more moderate type many think would have a better chance. But that didn't work out too well, so why stick with it?

Fern

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, 'moderate' McCain, who wanted to appoint more justices like the radical right, who picked Sarah 'Obama pals with terrorists' Palin.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Ya, 'moderate' McCain, who wanted to appoint more justices like the radical right, who picked Sarah 'Obama pals with terrorists' Palin.

I think the choice of palin was to offset the fact that McCain is pro-choice...it was not driven by his beliefs as much as his party trying to make his ticket look more attractive to the extreme right.

Not that I'm defending the choice, but I understand it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I think the choice of palin was to offset the fact that McCain is pro-choice...it was not driven by his beliefs as much as his party trying to make his ticket look more attractive to the extreme right.

Not that I'm defending the choice, but I understand it.

Except he's not pro-choice. Regardless, there's a lot more than abortion and there were a lot of other pro-life candidates.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
LOL at Faux News....Dick Morris on Sean Hannity's show, explaining how great all the GOP candidates are (at least the ones that pay him). Funny how no one mentioned he is getting paid on air, I mean, Faux news wouldn't want to deceive people into thinking Morris is actually being objective, now would they? I mean Faux news never does things like that, just like they never put a D next to republican politician in trouble, right? Oops, that right, yes they do want to intentionally lie and deceive everyone.

Just another great example of Fair and Balanced reporting!

Link

Double LOL at this:

Morris joined Sean Hannity to discuss the state of the GOP primary and what Morris described as the "incredible field we have." Morris praised Cain (who is paying him) as "one of the most charismatic politicians" since Obama and declared that he is "now immune from the charges of sexual harassment." He said that Gingrich (who is paying him) "knows it all" and is "the smartest person in the room." After declaring that it was likely a three-way race between Cain, Gingrich and Romney at this point, Morris hastened to add that "I don't think you can count out Bachmann" (who is paying him).

Was it mentioned that he is being paid to promote these candidates? Of course not! More intentional deceit from Sean Hannity and Faux news.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Clearly, they need to run Quayle Ver.2.0 with spell check.

And Gingrich should have asked Palin to hook him up with the blessing against witchcraft. Because one turned him into a Newt, but he hasn't got better.