Gingrich invokes Kennedy - Promises Lunar Moon Base by 2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I am sick of being told we have to be timid, and I am sick of being told we have to be limited to technologies that are 50 years old

Ok Newt, how exactly do you suggest getting people into space without technology that's 50 years old? Granted there have been improvements in rocket efficiency since then but nothing really revolutionary, the basics have remained the same.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
FYI to all, Newt is not a fiscal conservative.

Personally, I'm convinced that the term fiscal conservative is an oxymoron.

Didn't Bush make the same empty promises when he ran for election/re-election (still can't believe we elected that moron twice).

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Ok Newt, how exactly do you suggest getting people into space without technology that's 50 years old? Granted there have been improvements in rocket efficiency since then but nothing really revolutionary, the basics have remained the same.

We invent it, the same we get all the other new techonologies?

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
While it's nice to dream about all this sci-fi stuff, I think real scientists understand the logistics of setting up a base on the moon or another planet. Seen a picture of the moon lately? It's full of craters and such from meteors that strike it regularly. With no atmosphere a very small piece of rock flying through space could literally demolish a dome in a heartbeat. So you need some sort of defense system to detect incoming objects (even the tiniest objects) and be able to not just blast them, but vaporize them before impact. Anyone who wants to go live on the moon or in space elsewhere, be my guest. Go with Newt and he will go with you, I guess. I'm staying on this rock with air, water, and food. And idiots as well, I guess.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
This reeks of a stunt of desperation. Eight years to have a base on the moon? lol. Gee Newt, what would you use to fly the materials up there? The Space Shuttle? :rolleyes:

The Apollo program started in 1960 and America was able to land on the moon in 9 years. This was essentially in the infancy of the American space program.

Then again, it has taken the bay area over more than 10 years to build 1/2 a bridge which took 3 years to build the entire bridge so...........

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
While it's nice to dream about all this sci-fi stuff, I think real scientists understand the logistics of setting up a base on the moon or another planet. Seen a picture of the moon lately? It's full of craters and such from meteors that strike it regularly. With no atmosphere a very small piece of rock flying through space could literally demolish a dome in a heartbeat. So you need some sort of defense system to detect incoming objects (even the tiniest objects) and be able to not just blast them, but vaporize them before impact. Anyone who wants to go live on the moon or in space elsewhere, be my guest. Go with Newt and he will go with you, I guess. I'm staying on this rock with air, water, and food. And idiots as well, I guess.

That is what they said about landing on the moon in the 60s and space exploration in general.
I am sure glad we didn't listen to the doubters like you back then.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
That is what they said about landing on the moon in the 60s and space exploration in general.
I am sure glad we didn't listen to the doubters like you back then.

Ok you can doubt that meteors would demolish a base on the moon all you want. It's one thing to land there, pick up a few worthless rocks and leave; it's another thing altogether to set up camp and live there. Doubters are just people who don't know the facts. With real science you actually know something.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Ok you can doubt that meteors would demolish a base on the moon all you want. It's one thing to land there, pick up a few worthless rocks and leave; it's another thing altogether to set up camp and live there. Doubters are just people who don't know the facts. With real science you actually know something.

That is just it. Like manned space fight and landing on the moon there will be doubters in the scientific community "with the facts" who will say that it is next to impossible.

Thankfully we didn't listen to these people.

It took a broad initiative to take the impossible and turn it into the possible.

No one thought sending a man into space or to the moon would be easy but we (as a country) were able to overcome these barriers to make it happen.

You remind me of all of the people who come out and say "what is the point of trying to make a new search engine, social networking site, computer platform, or [insert technology] because of google/facebook/apple" What you forget is that people were saying that these thing about yahoo/myspace/ibm.

Last edited:

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
That is just it. Like manned space fight and landing on the moon there will be doubters in the scientific community "with the facts" who will say that it is next to impossible.

Thankfully we didn't listen to these people.

It took a broad initiative to take the impossible and turn it into the possible.

So when someone invents a defense weapon that can vaporize any size incoming object it will become possible to have a base on the moon or elsewhere. We could easily set up a base on the moon, but without the aforementioned the odds of survival would be similar to winning the lottery.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
So when someone invents a defense weapon that can vaporize any size incoming object it will become possible to have a base on the moon or elsewhere. We could easily set up a base on the moon, but without the aforementioned the odds of survival would be similar to winning the lottery.

Attitude like yours embodies everything that is wrong with America.
Oh, it might be hard, so lets not even try!
Thank god people like JFK were president instead of someone like you.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Attitude like yours embodies everything that is wrong with America.
Oh, it might be hard, so lets not even try!
Thank god people like JFK were president instead of someone like you.

Even JFK admitted that the moon program was a political stunt for Cold War prestige. The Russians started it and we had to win.

As for not even trying, we're up to out necks in debt and economic bullshit and you think we should be focusing what resources we have on building a moon base?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Small government... cutting deficit... moon base....

It's official, Gingrich has gone to the moon.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
A big problem with now vs then is that we know a lot more about space and the moon. Things that weren't know about or weren't thought of as a threat before are now a large problem for a long term base. Could we build a moon base of course we could, but it is going to cost a massive amount of money. I am all for NASA and space exploration, and I would love to see NASA have a much larger budget. Yet I would much rather them spend money on unmanned missions, new propulsion technology,... We can work towards getting a manned space program again, but I don't want just another generic rocket. We need to first come up with some new stuff before we bother building a rocket to send people into space.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Nice idea...but completely out of touch with reality. Cutting military spending, though, will provide the money...

*hopeful eyes*

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

It has already been proposed that a colony could be built within one of the moon's lava tubes thus avoiding the risks you mention. See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_the_Moon#Lunar_lava_tubes

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I like the idea, a lot.

See this link for some economic development ideas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_the_Moon#Economic_development

I also prefer a lunar base over a space platform type base because I think a small amount of gravity is helpful. I used to SCUBA dive an awful lot and I think it's somewhat similar to a no gravity environment. It's an inconvenience, to say the least, when tools or materials go floating in every direction. A little bit of gravity just makes them slowly drop down (in one direction) and that's far more preferable.

We got a lot of good products out of the space program, at least back when we had a real space program. We could certainly use that now for economic development. I think waiting around for renewable energy and hoping it's 'the' next big thing is gonna disappoint a lot of people. IMO, it's going to take a lot longer than most are hoping. As the old saying goes "don't put all your eggs in one basket". However, that seems to be what this admin is doing.

Fern

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Even JFK admitted that the moon program was a political stunt for Cold War prestige. The Russians started it and we had to win.

No, he did not.

That was only one element, which helped get political approval.

He saw all kinds of reasons for it

He understood the benefit of the national goal of doing it - being a 'great' nation.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I am a big fan of the government funding scientific research - and we're now funding half the research we did in the 60's as a percent of GDP.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
[newt lol] if he cared at all about the space programs, why didn't he mention it in any of the previous states? why now? [/newt lol]

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
[newt lol] if he cared at all about the space programs, why didn't he mention it in any of the previous states? why now? [/newt lol]

Is there now some requirement a candidate must roll out ALL their policy ideas in their first speech?

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
GOP establishment is bashing Newt Gingrich for his awesome moon base ideas in order to hoodwink the conservatives into supporting a liberal RINO like Romney. Sad situation. What happened to America being great? Reagan wanted spaceships with lasers, that pissed off the Russians big time and they bankrupted themselves trying to catch up. Imagine how pissed they'll be if we have a base on the moon? They'll have to bankrupt themselves all over again. Putin regime is going to collapse, all because Gingrich has the courage to stand up to the GOP establishment and build a base on the moon.